Which earphones for road cycling?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Taiyoto wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 am
I suggest this : very safety

Aftershokz Headphone Aeropex AS800

Another hard swipe right on the Aftershokz bone-conduction headphones. I had the first gen and now I have the latest Aeropex model. They're nearly perfect:

- I can hear traffic and other riders while listening to podcasts

- They fit well with all the sunglasses/helmet combos I've tried

- They're effectively waterproof—I use mine in the shower fairly regularly.

- They last. The batteries aren't replaceable, but I've seen no obvious battery degradation in the 18 months I've had the headphones

- They use Bluetooth 5.0. When paired with a phone that uses BT5, the battery life is outstanding and they're indifferent to where you've stored your phone. (The first gen had issues unless the phone was in my jersey pocket).

Yes, they're kind of expensive and the company name is juvenile. But these are some of the most underappreciated consumer electronics on the market. They're ideal for cycling.

naavt

by naavt

youngs_modulus wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 pm
Taiyoto wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 am
I suggest this : very safety

Aftershokz Headphone Aeropex AS800

Another hard swipe right on the Aftershokz bone-conduction headphones. I had the first gen and now I have the latest Aeropex model. They're nearly perfect:

- I can hear traffic and other riders while listening to podcasts

- They fit well with all the sunglasses/helmet combos I've tried

- They're effectively waterproof—I use mine in the shower fairly regularly.

- They last. The batteries aren't replaceable, but I've seen no obvious battery degradation in the 18 months I've had the headphones

- They use Bluetooth 5.0. When paired with a phone that uses BT5, the battery life is outstanding and they're indifferent to where you've stored your phone. (The first gen had issues unless the phone was in my jersey pocket).

Yes, they're kind of expensive and the company name is juvenile. But these are some of the most underappreciated consumer electronics on the market. They're ideal for cycling.
I second this! By far one of the best purchases I've made on my cycling apparel

dgasmd

by dgasmd

For years, I have used cheaper wired noise cancelling earbuds. Below is my last set, which has been awesome in being waterproof, comfortable,and awesome sound. I use both when riding, except if I (rare) ride with other people where I would take either one out or don't use it at all. I use te volume so I can hear the music well, but I can still get some outside noise/sound. I put my phone in my back pocket, run the wire inside and comes out behind my neck, and then give them a wrap around the helmet strap. Frankly, me hearing a car coming from behind doesn't tell me which is the one that is going to hit me out of the millions of cars that pass me by. RIding defensively as much as I can is the best any of us can do. The rest is, in my PERSONAL opinion, just stuff that changes nothing but makes you feel better thinking you are safer.

urBeats Wired Earphones with Lightning Connector

StanK

by StanK

Apart from slight safety issue (I mostly use local roads, whenever I can), I can't imagine doing anything else while riding - than just riding. Listening (music), is doing something else. All the time.

For me, whole idea of "riding the bike" is some kind of a escape from more or less "usual urban routine". That's why I am on the bike in the first place. Beside the fact that I love ride road bike (for some 35 years), and sport in generally.

Don't get me wrong, I love music. Not just that I like it, I love it. In my living room I have a serious HiFi setup that cost me waaay more than my bike. So, you have a good idea of what I feel about music and what means to me.

On the bike, I want soak in as much as possible; whole experience about that ride.
Listen to music ... I can do that at home. I don't want do it on a bike. It's like my body is in one place, while part of my mind and feelings are somewhere else.

So, really, I have a problem to understand it. Are you bored on bike? Then why you riding? Maybe you pushing yourself too much, for whatever reason, and ride when you really don't want it. I don't know.
At this point, I can only understand people who ride for money, or train very hard to come there (so, boredom can happen, for a variety of reasons), but for anyone else ... I just don't get it.

And, yes, I tried. Couple of times, some 15 years ago. I didn't understand then, I don't understand now. Obviously it depends from person to person.
Btw. Earphones are like saddles. Very dependent on the person. So ...

mcfarton

by mcfarton

StanK wrote:Apart from slight safety issue (I mostly use local roads, whenever I can), I can't imagine doing anything else while riding - than just riding. Listening (music), is doing something else. All the time.

For me, whole idea of "riding the bike" is some kind of a escape from more or less "usual urban routine". That's why I am on the bike in the first place. Beside the fact that I love ride road bike (for some 35 years), and sport in generally.

Don't get me wrong, I love music. Not just that I like it, I love it. In my living room I have a serious HiFi setup that cost me waaay more than my bike. So, you have a good idea of what I feel about music and what means to me.

On the bike, I want soak in as much as possible; whole experience about that ride.
Listen to music ... I can do that at home. I don't want do it on a bike. It's like my body is in one place, while part of my mind and feelings are somewhere else.

So, really, I have a problem to understand it. Are you bored on bike? Then why you riding? Maybe you pushing yourself too much, for whatever reason, and ride when you really don't want it. I don't know.
At this point, I can only understand people who ride for money, or train very hard to come there (so, boredom can happen, for a variety of reasons), but for anyone else ... I just don't get it.

And, yes, I tried. Couple of times, some 15 years ago. I didn't understand then, I don't understand now. Obviously it depends from person to person.
Btw. Earphones are like saddles. Very dependent on the person. So ...
My exercise time is my time. I also love all kinds of music and spend lots of my day listening. When I exercise I play music that I can’t listen to at work, with my kids, or with my wife. It’s my time it’s my music. And I enjoy turning it up and pushing myself. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Jabra Elite 65t.

You do not have to hear to ride a bike so I do not understand what the big deal is. My eye's and my Garmin Varia Radar are all I need to let me know what is going on around me.

naavt

by naavt

Butcher wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:12 am
Jabra Elite 65t.

You do not have to hear to ride a bike so I do not understand what the big deal is. My eye's and my Garmin Varia Radar are all I need to let me know what is going on around me.
Everybody is different and no rules apply to us all!

Even some pros have gains listening to their car radio guys motivating them whereas others just take the earbud off on purpose.

I'm also a big fan of listening music in a quality environment. I also have a big system in my room, full of elements that nobody knows about and ones that the majority can't spell right, but confusing that kind of listening with what you hear on the road, is just not right IMHO.

I have a pair of Aftershokz and they are great. Not because they sound great (they suck at it really), but because they let me enjoy moments where I just want to hear some music and push myself. Usually I press the play when I approach a climb and that just works for me, but again... we are all unique and what works for someone doesn't mean that works for all.

Apart from music, I love my Aftershokz because they allow me to be in quick contact with everybody. I can make and receive calls at a push of a button.

They are waterproof and best of all, they are "invisible" to me! They are by far the pair of headphones that I really can't tell that I'm using and that I sometimes just forget I have on my head.

StanK

by StanK

naavt wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:54 am
... I'm also a big fan of listening music in a quality environment. I also have a big system in my room, full of elements that nobody knows about and ones that the majority can't spell right, but confusing that kind of listening with what you hear on the road, is just not right IMHO...
I'm not sure I can follow. What do you hear on the road? Listening to a different kind of music at home, than on a bike?
Or this has something to do with "quality environment"? I really can't imagine what that would be in this context. Something like sightseen, from the bike; some kind of a visual background for music? Or just a mix of bike riding, your music, traffic sounds, landscapes ... ?

Btw. I have one friend who listens to music (a radio station that plays music to be precise) while riding. Started some 15 years ago, and got used to it. His words: "it gives me a boost, more or less". I tried, it didn't work for me, but understand what he means by "boost".

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

I finally killed my cheap Anker bluetooth earbuds (only use in one ear at a time) and got the new Beats (on sale, ~US$40) and they're amazingly long! About 150% as long as other earbud setups. I don't know whose neck these are supposed to go around -- a linebacker's? -- but that means I have to get creative with the looping and it's tricky to have one pod with controls reachable without a lot of dangling.

The sound is... ok. I mean, I listen to podcasts. A quiet or undermic talker is a bit difficult to make out.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

twoangstroms wrote:I finally killed my cheap Anker bluetooth earbuds (only use in one ear at a time) and got the new Beats (on sale, ~US$40) and they're amazingly long! About 150% as long as other earbud setups. I don't know whose neck these are supposed to go around -- a linebacker's? -- but that means I have to get creative with the looping and it's tricky to have one pod with controls reachable without a lot of dangling.

The sound is... ok. I mean, I listen to podcasts. A quiet or undermic talker is a bit difficult to make out.
I use anker soundcore ear buds. I use one outside and two inside. I keep waiting for them to die to see if I can find something better. But they just keep going. Best 36$ I ever spent. They are the ones with the graphin upgrade or whatever.

I bought the anker over the ear headphones for the trainer. They sound amazing but make me hot quickly. I kinda gave up on them. I should just take them back into work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmp

by dmp

illogict wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:13 pm
I use a Bluetooth speaker (Sony SRS-XB21) in the rear bottle cage. I like having situational awareness, plus using earphones is illegal here (France).
Moreover, my other ride is a cabriolet: I’m used to bothering bystanders with my tunes.
Bothering others is right- I find this incredibly irritating. It's one thing when you drive past them in your cabrio and they only hear your for a second or two, and quite another if you find yourself riding at a similar pace with someone whose speakers are blaring music you detest. Have some consideration for your fellow riders!

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Yes! Mine were Anker soundcore, thanks for jogging my memory. I must have been doing some toxic-sweat workouts over the last year.

illogict

by illogict

dmp wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:43 pm
Bothering others is right- I find this incredibly irritating. It's one thing when you drive past them in your cabrio and they only hear your for a second or two, and quite another if you find yourself riding at a similar pace with someone whose speakers are blaring music you detest. Have some consideration for your fellow riders!
It was meant as a joke: it's always stopped when I'm in a town, and only on when I'm completely alone in the countryside. I have a Bluetooth remote on the handlebars to be able to quickly pause if needed. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

Sorry for misinterpreting your post- someone I passed on a ride earlier this week was doing just that, so I guess I was kind of sensitized. I understand that some people like to have music while they are riding but I just like to hear the sounds of the road and of a well tuned bike.