Any lightweight rim brake frameset recommendations?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nicke

by Nicke

Hi everyone, first post here so I'm not sure what the general opinion on "recommend me x"-posts are but here goes.

I'm looking at building a lighweight rim brake bike with the following criteria:

Round seatpost, standard steerer to allow for light aftermarket parts
Internal routing (not your modern through the stem/head tube) but simply through the frame
Clearance for at least 25mm (preferrably 28mm) tires
Obviously a "light" frameset
And preferrably a BSA BB (I know this might not be realistic).

Getting something like this new is most likely going to cost me a fortune, so I've decided to look for something used.

Looking at "older" (maybe 2010-2015) bikes/frames, what are some I should be hunting for specifically?

I've had my eyes on Cannondale Supersix and all its variations but I simply can't find any for sale.

Thanks for reading my ramble and I thank you in advance for all your suggestions!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I recently picked up a 2015 Wilier Zero.7 that I believe meets your criteria. 790g for the frame, supposed to fit 28mm tires (I'm running 25's). standard round seatpost and steerer. Internal routing. It's a BB386EVO if I remember.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Lucendi

by Lucendi

You cannot go wrong with an older Cannondale Supersix.

Read this EPIC build thread if you haven't already; viewtopic.php?t=144641

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I picked up a Tifosi mons rim brake frameset unpainted and got it rubbed down, laqoured and gold decals with gold flecks in the paint! The frame has won the men's and women's U.K. hill climb and is very stiff. I'll weigh mine when I get a chance but a good option
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

nikospeed

by nikospeed

I admit I am somewhat biased, but the Look 785 Huez RS ticks all your boxes and is a bloody great frame 😁

LouisN

by LouisN

Many Focus Izalco Max framesets sold for cheap last couple year...

Louis :)

tomato

by tomato

Factor O2

C36

by C36

From the bike ride qualities,
- Cannondale Supersix evo2 hm (but pfa30), preowned market has many, are you only looking for NOS frames?
- Specialized Tarmac Sl6 (but special BB and aero seatpost… but Darimo offers a light options)
- Canyon ultimate (but 1’ 1/4’’ steering that limit some stems)
-Factor VAM (but BBright)
- Time huez is also of extreme built quality

Orbital

by Orbital

tomato wrote:Factor O2
I’m on the hunt for one. Simply because the geo is so close to the Supersix Evo I’m riding now but can fit wider wheels, has internal routing and I can still use my Hollowgram crankset. I’m just barely clearing 25mm wide wheels with 23mm Vitoria G+ Corsa. If I don’t pay close attention to perfectly centering and using adequate torque on the rear QR, it rubs on climbs.

gurk700

by gurk700

Guess what I'll suggest?
(I have two of them)

doesn't have BSA but coming from BSA bikes before, meh... They manage to get bsa wrong too so creaking issues aren't only BB30 related.

antoniogf

by antoniogf

Muy giant tcr pro 0 disc 2021 is 6,7 kg weight with ultegra di2 and tubular carbon weels decadence..The frame is 800gr, i think its a very good option, aswell giant tcr sl.Image

Enviado desde mi SM-N975F mediante Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

Look and Time are the only two frames I would consider. As for 25 or 28mm it really depends if you mean a sold as measurement or a real world measurement as there seems to be no consistency as to what a 25 or 28mm tyre actually is unless it's a tubular. And assuming it's a clincher then the internal rim width you fit them to will have a drastic effect on how big that tyre pumps up to.

You've looked at Cannondale though my personal experience of Cannondale (CAAD13) is the design and quality control is utterly diabolical. I read a review somewhere about it being "windtunnel optimised" or at least designed with cam shaped tubes for the aero benefits but they admitted the frame had never set foot in a wind tunnel. My build experience is that it could never have even been made as a final pre-production prototype the number of issues that cropped up during the build as awful design features. Cannondale won't have suddenly got worse at this, they've probably been this bad all along, so I would never buy any Cannondale frame in future. As has been said before, the best engineers/designers go into the aerospace and automotive industries. There's no money to be made in bicycle design. So with Look and Time both owning their own manufacturing facility they can tightly control the quality of the product from design to manufacture.

Raoul Leuscher has chopped up plenty of frames now to know which brands to rely on and which to avoid. Similarly with Hambini and bottom bracket consistency.

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

I'll add a few to the list:
Previous-gen Scott Addict RC, the HMX-SL version weighs 710g +280g while the HMX version weighs 775g + 305g for the frame + fork respectively.
Fuji SL1.1, the C15 layup has a frame weight of 695g without paint
Ridley Helium SLX, 750g + 300g frame + fork
BH Ultralight Evo, frame weight of 700g
Felt FR FRD, 684g + 284g frame + fork

As the others mentioned above, the Cannondale Supersix Evo (frameset weight <1000g), previous-gen Focus Izalco Max (frame weight approx. 720g) and Wilier Zero.7 (frame weight 790g) and Factor O2 VAM (frame weight 677g unpainted) are nice options too.

The Look 785 Huez RS and Time Alpe d'Huez aren't that light, actually, with 870g and 840g claimed frame weights respectively. It's undeniable that they have a rarity factor to them, though.

I think you'l struggle to find really lightweight bikes with a BSA BB from that era, as most of them would have come with some form of pressfit or another. I think the bikes that come with a BB86 (Scott, Giant) and BB386 (BH, Wilier) generally have fewer issues than a BB30 or BB90, etc. due to the wider spaced bearings. Wider spaced bearings also allow for wider set chainstays that allow for better tyre clearance in the rear. And as c60rider mentioned, Look and Time have a history of good tolerances if you are willing to take a slight weight penalty.

I left out bikes like the Giant TCR, Specialized SL6, Canyon Ultimate, Trek Emonda from the list as they either have a 1' 1/4" steerer, a proprietary seatpost/seatmast or both.

I think that the late 2010s was the golden age of lightweight road bikes. With many manufactureres engaged in a weight reduction arms-race, rim brakes, the proliferation of use of carbon fibre and non-proprietary parts means that with the right selection of components, you could get a bike under 7kg on a relatively tight budget.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Don't buy anything that doesn't have room for at least 28mm tires. If not right now, sooner or later you will want some wide rims with bigger tires and you'll regret the lack of space. The Factor has more tire clearance than just about any other rim brake frameset. The VAM sounds like it is out of your price range but the regular O2 should be possible although expect a 900 gram frame. The last iteration of Cervelo R series had decent tire clearance IIRC but again not super light.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.