Please don’t make this a rim vs disc bloodfest. Stage 17 won with rim brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GregR

by GregR

I wasn't referring to the make all wheels interchangeable idea but more that we seem to see a lot of failures that are rare in the wild. Like rubbing discs. Certainly the bikes could leave at the start of the day without rub. After a crash or a wheel change, ok. But reading between the Froome lines, they are rubbing without crashes or wheel changes.
We also seem to see a lot of gear change problems. Do we know why Bauke Mollema was kicking his derailleur?
I don't have any real knowledge, but I find myself thinking wtf? lots of times when watching the races.
By the way, solid work on that selective misquote. (Mr Naylor) A suspicion and an assertion are very different. You twisted what I said. Do better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cveks

by cveks

GregR wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:10 am
I'd be inclined to recommend a rim brake bike for the TdF (etc) with the exception of stages where advantage could be gained from braking later and harder into tight corners on high speed descents. This would require a rider who can take advantage of the superior braking, though. I suspect that most can't.
I'm becoming more and more suspicious that pro team mechanics aren't actually all that good at their jobs. How is it that my disc brakes don't rub and pro team bikes have brakes that rub? Lol, I'm just a nobody with a decent set of tools. Pro errr amateur tip: when the pads are worn a bunch, like >50%, they are way less likely to rub. How come the pro teams don't seem to know this?
Pro team riders are not naturally the best judges of what the best equipment is. And even if they are, the demands etc of the pro Pelton are so irrelevant to me and the riding that I do. I'm keeping my disc brake bike, thanks. I'll take out the rim brake bike when I go roll the flatlands, but the rest of the time it's disc.
It's underrated on here how much less maintenance a disc brake system needs compared to rim brakes which are always needing adjustment, pad changes, pad cleaning etc. Once the pads wear in a bit, you rarely have to touch them.
Because you dont race on speeds they do. Disc brakes sucks on road bikes. Look what Chris Froome said . Constant disc rubbing , squeaking, disc warping on mountain descents , your bike is at least 500g heavier than with rim brakes, hard and slow flat tire fixing etc.

Groupset producers simply market them because they earn so much with them comparing to rim brake groupsets.

For example on bike24 whole Sram Rival groupset costs 390 euros without taxes . Sram Rival hidraulic shifters cost 470 euro which is more than whole rim brake groupsets for shifters only.

That is insane. Hidraulic brakes are present in mountain bike industry for almost 30 years and they costs 5-10 time less.

F10

by F10

cveks wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm
GregR wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:10 am
I'd be inclined to recommend a rim brake bike for the TdF (etc) with the exception of stages where advantage could be gained from braking later and harder into tight corners on high speed descents. This would require a rider who can take advantage of the superior braking, though. I suspect that most can't.
I'm becoming more and more suspicious that pro team mechanics aren't actually all that good at their jobs. How is it that my disc brakes don't rub and pro team bikes have brakes that rub? Lol, I'm just a nobody with a decent set of tools. Pro errr amateur tip: when the pads are worn a bunch, like >50%, they are way less likely to rub. How come the pro teams don't seem to know this?
Pro team riders are not naturally the best judges of what the best equipment is. And even if they are, the demands etc of the pro Pelton are so irrelevant to me and the riding that I do. I'm keeping my disc brake bike, thanks. I'll take out the rim brake bike when I go roll the flatlands, but the rest of the time it's disc.
It's underrated on here how much less maintenance a disc brake system needs compared to rim brakes which are always needing adjustment, pad changes, pad cleaning etc. Once the pads wear in a bit, you rarely have to touch them.
Because you dont race on speeds they do. Disc brakes sucks on road bikes. Look what Chris Froome said . Constant disc rubbing , squeaking, disc warping on mountain descents , your bike is at least 500g heavier than with rim brakes, hard and slow flat tire fixing etc.

Groupset producers simply market them because they earn so much with them comparing to rim brake groupsets.

For example on bike24 whole Sram Rival groupset costs 390 euros without taxes . Sram Rival hidraulic shifters cost 470 euro which is more than whole rim brake groupsets for shifters only.

That is insane. Hidraulic brakes are present in mountain bike industry for almost 30 years and they costs 5-10 time less.
Genuine question - is fixing a flat tyre really harder on disc? I haven't had to do this by the side of the road yet, but I've had my disc wheels off a bunch and can't see why it would be much different to my rim brake bikes. I guess it takes a few seconds more to slot the wheel back in without bashing the disc into the calliper, but that's hardly the slowest part of my puncture repair process...

[edit] Sorry, I now see you're talking about during a race. Probably not relevant for me then.

tomato

by tomato

cveks wrote: Disc brakes sucks on road bikes. Look what Chris Froome said.
Look what Bernard Hinault said.

"If I was a pro, I’d have disc brakes. It works."
Just because something sells for more, doesn't mean it's more profitable.

Discodan

by Discodan

Don't feed the troll. I think this thread has run its course now so I'm punching out

GregR

by GregR

F10 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm
[edit] Sorry, I now see you're talking about during a race. Probably not relevant for me then.
TBH the way I read his comment is that he was talking about "you" (=my) bike. I haven't had a flat yet, but find wheel removal and replacement to be as easy and fast as QR. Obvs any flat repair is the same. That said in a race situation I would expect the wheel change to be a bit slower on a disc bike. Lol, but I'm on the record as saying I'd go rim in most races anyway. He seemed very upset that I prefer disc for personal riding tho. :noidea:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

tomato wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:08 pm
cveks wrote: Disc brakes sucks on road bikes. Look what Chris Froome said.
Look what Bernard Hinault said.

"If I was a pro, I’d have disc brakes. It works."
Just because something sells for more, doesn't mean it's more profitable.
Ofcourse it works! Who would sell disc brakes if they didn't? If for ex Froome wants rim due to possible rubbing, it's not that weird.
These guys probably wish to eliminate all possible causes of drag.
I guess the rubbing is what designers will try to iron out in the future.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Prawn

by Prawn

Rim brakes on the Gold and Bronze Olympic medal bikes yesterday... Not sure if that made any difference to what turned out to be an epic race, but it was interesting to see the equipent choices that elite riders made.

usr

by usr

Super off topic, but all that talk about flat repair makes me wonder what disc riders (non-racing) do with their bikes in case of deflation? I'm a devout follower of #49 in that situation (rubber side down) and toss the rest of the bike in the greenery on the non-drive-side while e.g. working on the front wheel. Do discers lay it on the drive side ("derailleur hangers are cheap"), do they balance it awkwardly in some position where hopefully the disc stays true or do they flip it into dead beetle position?

Maximilian

by Maximilian

usr wrote:Super off topic, but all that talk about flat repair makes me wonder what disc riders (non-racing) do with their bikes in case of deflation? I'm a devout follower of #49 in that situation (rubber side down) and toss the rest of the bike in the greenery on the non-drive-side while e.g. working on the front wheel. Do discers lay it on the drive side ("derailleur hangers are cheap"), do they balance it awkwardly in some position where hopefully the disc stays true or do they flip it into dead beetle position?
Do what I’ve always done regardless of bike and hang it from a nearby tree by the saddle…

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

usr wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:56 pm
Super off topic, but all that talk about flat repair makes me wonder what disc riders (non-racing) do with their bikes in case of deflation? I'm a devout follower of #49 in that situation (rubber side down) and toss the rest of the bike in the greenery on the non-drive-side while e.g. working on the front wheel. Do discers lay it on the drive side ("derailleur hangers are cheap"), do they balance it awkwardly in some position where hopefully the disc stays true or do they flip it into dead beetle position?
'Win Gar Dium Levi Ohhh Sa', you muggle.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

usr

by usr

Maximilian wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 pm
Do what I’ve always done regardless of bike and hang it from a nearby tree by the saddle…
Guess I need to work on my choice of puncture occasion then 😂

rollinslow

by rollinslow

No sponsors, and rim brakes just went gold and silver at the olympics mens road race. There is no way rim brakes are going anywhere when thats what the best riders in the world prefer to win.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rollinslow wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:00 am
No sponsors, and rim brakes just went gold and silver at the olympics mens road race. There is no way rim brakes are going anywhere when thats what the best riders in the world prefer to win.
no sponsers... yet most riders on team brand.. are you sure :noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 am
rollinslow wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:00 am
no sponsers... yet most riders on team brand.. are you sure :noidea:
You are not forced to ride only from your sponsor at the olympics. You can use a bike from your sponsor but it is not the same as a pro team.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523