Please don’t make this a rim vs disc bloodfest. Stage 17 won with rim brake

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

CR987 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:52 am
How do they weigh the bikes to see if they are at minimum weight. I guess it is complete with pedals, cages and computer still on the bike?
If so, wouldn't they need a disc bike to weigh approx 6.3kg 'naked'?
It can't include anything that can be removed without tools and the bike still be rideable*, so computers don't count, I believe. But given how manufacturers typically list bike weights, then let's allow ~500g for pedals, cages, computer and mount, so yeah, you'd need a 6.3kg 'list' weight to hit the limit.

*as you can remove a QR skewer without tools but you couldn't ride the bike after, for example

I know Bianchi struggled to get anywhere near that last year with their team bikes, and presumably Pinarello still do.

FWIW I have a rim brake bike and a disc one and can appreciate the merits of both :-)

MikeD

by MikeD

wheelsONfire wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm
wheelsONfire wrote: In the end it's very easy, either you stick to rim or go disc. That's it, nothing more!
The problem is that new rim braked bikes are hard to find. Trek and Specialized, for example, don't make them any longer.
No they don't, but why are you restricted to those "standard brands"?
Are you looking for an aero bike with rim brakes?
If not, there are options...
And those options are shrinking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

MikeD wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:47 pm
And those options are shrinking.
Indeed. As the OP requested, I'm not going to make this yet another disc vs rim post, but increasingly not having the option is annoying. If someone has rationally decided rim brakes are for them (and that's their lookout - no one else has to ride the bike) it's naturally irritating to realise that there really aren't all that many relatively sensibly priced performance options out there. From memory, Giant TCR and Canyon Ultimate are the only ones I can immediately think of, though I have a feeling you can still get rim-braked Bianchis.

joejack951

by joejack951

On the plus side for rim brakes, the market for used framesets and wheels has to be filled with bargains.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Factor VAM, Look bikes, Time bikes, Colnago, Ax Lightness etc. We also have virtually all custom builders.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

As a side note: There will never be a time when you can't buy a new rim brake bike or the parts to build it. It might not have the newest of the new top end group, but parts will always be available.

Just look at alll the crazy single speed ridged mountain bike dudes.
Ride fast Take chances

johanalexander

by johanalexander

raggedtrousers wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:47 pm
CR987 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:52 am
How do they weigh the bikes to see if they are at minimum weight. I guess it is complete with pedals, cages and computer still on the bike?
If so, wouldn't they need a disc bike to weigh approx 6.3kg 'naked'?
It can't include anything that can be removed without tools and the bike still be rideable*, so computers don't count, I believe. But given how manufacturers typically list bike weights, then let's allow ~500g for pedals, cages, computer and mount, so yeah, you'd need a 6.3kg 'list' weight to hit the limit.

*as you can remove a QR skewer without tools but you couldn't ride the bike after, for example

I know Bianchi struggled to get anywhere near that last year with their team bikes, and presumably Pinarello still do.

FWIW I have a rim brake bike and a disc one and can appreciate the merits of both :-)
Ha. The wahoo elmnt bolt have an optional tiny screw that can fix the computer to the mount. I always thought this was a way to make it harder to steal, or prevent it from falling off the mount. But it may actually make the computer to be taken into count then since it can't be removed without a small hex key.

garbageman

by garbageman

johanalexander wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:06 pm
Ha. The wahoo elmnt bolt have an optional tiny screw that can fix the computer to the mount. I always thought this was a way to make it harder to steal, or prevent it from falling off the mount. But it may actually make the computer to be taken into count then since it can't be removed without a small hex key.
That's exactly what it's for:
INTEGRATED MOUNT LOCKING SCREW
Includes a locking screw that riders can use to secure the computer to the mount. When utilized, the ELEMNT BOLT may remain on the bicycle for weigh-ins for UCI races.
from the Wahoo website

MikeD

by MikeD

wheelsONfire wrote:Factor VAM, Look bikes, Time bikes, Colnago, Ax Lightness etc. We also have virtually all custom builders.
Actually, I'm quite surprised at how quickly manufacturers are abandoning rim brakes. It doesn't seem that long ago I remember a forum discussion where some feared the worst and it looks like this is all happening faster than anticipated.

bilwit

by bilwit

edit: nm

tomato

by tomato

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 pm
...why did everyone riding road bikes say NO to disc brakes before?

Volagi was the only ones selling disc brake road bikes for years.

I think i was one of very few into Volagi.
I think you answered your own question.

tomato

by tomato

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:22 pm
Factor VAM, Look bikes, Time bikes, Colnago, Ax Lightness etc. We also have virtually all custom builders.
+ Alchemy, Blue, BMC, Dean, Dedacciai Strada, Guerciotti, Merckx, Moots, Mosaic, Orbea, Parlee, Pinarello, Ritchey, Wilier.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

tomato wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:30 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:22 pm
+ Alchemy, Blue, BMC, Dean, Dedacciai Strada, Guerciotti, Merckx, Moots, Mosaic, Orbea, Parlee, Pinarello, Ritchey, Wilier.
Wilier seem to have dropped rim brakes for the "premium models". I haven't looked so closely, but i guess this is how it works!?
Talking progress and dropping rim brake options, yes, it has been a fast process. I guess manufacturers look at sales volumes.
When disc brake has been presented as it has, people have been jumping this new big thing.
Still funny that 99% hated disc brakes on road bikes for years and years and all of a sudden they love it.
It really says all about of how most humans work, they follow but like to believe otherwise.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

pmprego

by pmprego

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:55 am

It really says all about of how most humans work, they follow but like to believe otherwise.
I just think too much humans complain a lot. There are options out there so no complaint please.

I bought a frame that is a nightmare to change cockpits. Is it the manufacturer fault? No, it's mine. I was the one choosing it thus I cannot complaint unless I complaint about myself which is kind of an oxymoron.

Conclusion: people have to stop complaining so much. There are many many options and even if there was not... Well that's life. I can't ride a horse wagon anymore. But people before me had that option. Well... That's life.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

pmprego wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:23 am
I just think too much humans complain a lot. There are options out there so no complaint please.

I bought a frame that is a nightmare to change cockpits. Is it the manufacturer fault? No, it's mine. I was the one choosing it thus I cannot complaint unless I complaint about myself which is kind of an oxymoron.

Conclusion: people have to stop complaining so much. There are many many options and even if there was not... Well that's life. I can't ride a horse wagon anymore. But people before me had that option. Well... That's life.
Agreed! I see lots of new rim brake bikes (previous years' models) in stores on sale! Good discount! So rim brake fans should rejoice!

When they suggest the reason more people now choose disc brake is simply because of the "follower" mentality or marketing, it's kinda ironic. Those same people would love to "upgrade" to the latest bikes with shiny paintjob, modern-looking integrated cockpit and claimed improved aero features. Isn't that also just marketing and trend following?

Also, if disc brake bikes are inferior, riders with rim brake bikes have another reason to rejoice: they have an advantage over the riders in the field. No?

So why complain? Isn't this rim-vs-disc just tribal quibble?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com