Please don’t make this a rim vs disc bloodfest. Stage 17 won with rim brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Locked
MikeD
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

Riding a bike in the rain just ruins it. Water gets in the bearings and ruins them and causes corrosion. Grit gets in the chain, brakes, etc. I'm lucky to live in a dry climate. However, I would ride my old bike for rain rides and save the new, expensive one for dry days.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 pm
Been riding a lot in the rain in the UK past couple of weeks.

Discs are a godsend.

On rims, I used to plan my routes when it was raining to avoid any big braking events, as they were scary at times, waiting desperatley for the bite and strangling the levers to get the thing to slow down (and yes, I had quality setup, with alloy brake track not carbon)!!

Now I don't even think about it, or worry about braking from high speeds anymore and it's great. I feel quite bad-ass hurtling along in the pouring rain now and flying down the descents - well flying for me anyway. :)

Plus it's lovely not to have that horrible grinding sound as the grit destroys your lovely rims everytime you pull the brake lever.

One day not long from now, people will ask 'What, so you actully used to use the surface of your rims as a braking surface?' and then laugh.
removed my mod - insulting

MikeD
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

tjvirden wrote:
rudye9mr wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:05 pm
Prefer a sacrifical braking surface that could be replaced...hence disc
Strangely, when you put it like this, I smell a conspiracy......

It's almost as if the cycling industry stuck with rim brakes on road bikes for so long because that enabled a cast-iron guaranty of obsolescence; every rim becomes obsolete - it wears out! And the pros were clearly their shills - holding out to the last against the change to rims that didn't wear thin! After all, they don't pay for their rims :D
If you ride in dry conditions, rims don't wear out. That's a fact. They will crack and fail at the spoke holes long before the sidewalls wear out.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:48 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm
The four kinds of people that buy road disk bikes:
1. The complete noob. A guy/gal that believes all the marketing nonsense.
2. The innocent converter. A guy/gal that had positive experiences with CX/MTB hydraulic disk brakes and thinks they should be better than anything else available. A noob to road cycling but not to cycling in general.
3. The skeptical converter. Doesn't really see the point in disk brakes on a road bikes, but doesn't want older technology that might be hard to sell later on, or be out of fashion.
4. The denialist. Has ridden rim brakes and knows that they are perfectly OK, especially in the dry and especially on better carbon rims and alloy rims. Yet for some reason needs to defend all their purchases on the internet and goes out of their way to attack and denigrate rim technology that is perfectly OK for the application. That somehow unnecessary new tech that has been ported across from MTB with barely a thought and is plagued with issues such as rubbing and warping should be a universal technology because that's what they have. Somehow bikes sales in a certain market or random other reasons are an indication of superiority.
How many miles do you need to do NOT to be a noob?
About a year, longer if they hardly ride.
5. The experienced rider that completely doesn't understand the pro's and con's and picks disks as he's as thick as two short planks.

tommyboyo
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 am

by tommyboyo

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:50 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 pm
Been riding a lot in the rain in the UK past couple of weeks.

Discs are a godsend.

On rims, I used to plan my routes when it was raining to avoid any big braking events, as they were scary at times, waiting desperatley for the bite and strangling the levers to get the thing to slow down (and yes, I had quality setup, with alloy brake track not carbon)!!

Now I don't even think about it, or worry about braking from high speeds anymore and it's great. I feel quite bad-ass hurtling along in the pouring rain now and flying down the descents - well flying for me anyway. :)

Plus it's lovely not to have that horrible grinding sound as the grit destroys your lovely rims everytime you pull the brake lever.

One day not long from now, people will ask 'What, so you actully used to use the surface of your rims as a braking surface?' and then laugh.
You're clearly a poor bike handler or bullshitting. Sure, I understand the idea of having a gravel disk brake for UK winters, but to claim the 'essential angle for a UK summer for a bit of rain is complete nonsense.
Yes, I am not a very good bike handler.

What is your point knob head?

User avatar
cveks
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 pm
Contact:

by cveks

MikeD wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:29 pm
Riding a bike in the rain just ruins it. Water gets in the bearings and ruins them and causes corrosion. Grit gets in the chain, brakes, etc. I'm lucky to live in a dry climate. However, I would ride my old bike for rain rides and save the new, expensive one for dry days.
yep

that is how it is.

Add do this losing time on bike cleaning

User avatar
cveks
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 pm
Contact:

by cveks

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:48 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm
The four kinds of people that buy road disk bikes:
1. The complete noob. A guy/gal that believes all the marketing nonsense.
2. The innocent converter. A guy/gal that had positive experiences with CX/MTB hydraulic disk brakes and thinks they should be better than anything else available. A noob to road cycling but not to cycling in general.
3. The skeptical converter. Doesn't really see the point in disk brakes on a road bikes, but doesn't want older technology that might be hard to sell later on, or be out of fashion.
4. The denialist. Has ridden rim brakes and knows that they are perfectly OK, especially in the dry and especially on better carbon rims and alloy rims. Yet for some reason needs to defend all their purchases on the internet and goes out of their way to attack and denigrate rim technology that is perfectly OK for the application. That somehow unnecessary new tech that has been ported across from MTB with barely a thought and is plagued with issues such as rubbing and warping should be a universal technology because that's what they have. Somehow bikes sales in a certain market or random other reasons are an indication of superiority.
How many miles do you need to do NOT to be a noob?
About a year, longer if they hardly ride.
5. The experienced rider that completely doesn't understand the pro's and con's and picks disks as he's as thick as two short planks.
Exact my point.

Mainly newbies, noobs, victims of cycling industry marketing ride disc bikes.

Old school guys who are like 5+ years of cycling are almost 90% all rim brakes.

tjvirden
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 pm

by tjvirden

MikeD wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:52 pm
tjvirden wrote:
rudye9mr wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:05 pm
Prefer a sacrifical braking surface that could be replaced...hence disc
Strangely, when you put it like this, I smell a conspiracy......

It's almost as if the cycling industry stuck with rim brakes on road bikes for so long because that enabled a cast-iron guaranty of obsolescence; every rim becomes obsolete - it wears out! And the pros were clearly their shills - holding out to the last against the change to rims that didn't wear thin! After all, they don't pay for their rims :D
If you ride in dry conditions, rims don't wear out. That's a fact. They will crack and fail at the spoke holes long before the sidewalls wear out.
Oh no; Poe's Law!

Rim brakes are good - I too have rim-brake rims that are lasting indefinitely, with regular, current use and lots of Kms on them. Some of those rims (e.g. my Dura Ace C24s and DT Swiss TK540s) won't fail at the spoke holes either (well, perhaps if they keep going a couple of decades the TK540s might).

It's very simply this - you may not have a use for disc brakes, because rim brakes do all you need. It turns out that a lot of cyclists are very pleased to use disc brakes. That's all there is to it.....

usr
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:58 pm

by usr

cveks wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 pm
Old school guys who are like 5+ years of cycling are almost 90% all rim brakes.
In my experience/circles: are almost all not buying new bikes. If they do, rim is the rare exception.

But I agree a little, in so far as quite a few of them might be tempted far more easily if the "new hotness" was still unquestionably rim. For example in a parallel universe where UCI never greenlighted disc, they'd simply see new bikes and go all "wow it's shiny!" instead of either "well, shiny, but twice as expensive as the one I have and half a bidon heavier?" or "well, light, but maybe I'll regret not getting disc?". They'll likely be happy with either, but the choice causes doubt and doubt completely ruins the irrational desire. In irrational markets, choice should be something as inconsequential a Ultegra or Record, not something you might actually regret.

But in that parallel universe, newbies who seem to be universally scared of rim brakes would simply stick to gravel bikes, even more than they do in our reality.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

cveks wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:48 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm
The four kinds of people that buy road disk bikes:
1. The complete noob. A guy/gal that believes all the marketing nonsense.
2. The innocent converter. A guy/gal that had positive experiences with CX/MTB hydraulic disk brakes and thinks they should be better than anything else available. A noob to road cycling but not to cycling in general.
3. The skeptical converter. Doesn't really see the point in disk brakes on a road bikes, but doesn't want older technology that might be hard to sell later on, or be out of fashion.
4. The denialist. Has ridden rim brakes and knows that they are perfectly OK, especially in the dry and especially on better carbon rims and alloy rims. Yet for some reason needs to defend all their purchases on the internet and goes out of their way to attack and denigrate rim technology that is perfectly OK for the application. That somehow unnecessary new tech that has been ported across from MTB with barely a thought and is plagued with issues such as rubbing and warping should be a universal technology because that's what they have. Somehow bikes sales in a certain market or random other reasons are an indication of superiority.
How many miles do you need to do NOT to be a noob?
About a year, longer if they hardly ride.
5. The experienced rider that completely doesn't understand the pro's and con's and picks disks as he's as thick as two short planks.
Exact my point.

Mainly newbies, noobs, victims of cycling industry marketing ride disc bikes.

Old school guys who are like 5+ years of cycling are almost 90% all rim brakes.
Exactly! :D :D :beerchug: :beerchug:

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:07 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:50 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 pm
Been riding a lot in the rain in the UK past couple of weeks.

Discs are a godsend.

On rims, I used to plan my routes when it was raining to avoid any big braking events, as they were scary at times, waiting desperatley for the bite and strangling the levers to get the thing to slow down (and yes, I had quality setup, with alloy brake track not carbon)!!

Now I don't even think about it, or worry about braking from high speeds anymore and it's great. I feel quite bad-ass hurtling along in the pouring rain now and flying down the descents - well flying for me anyway. :)

Plus it's lovely not to have that horrible grinding sound as the grit destroys your lovely rims everytime you pull the brake lever.

One day not long from now, people will ask 'What, so you actully used to use the surface of your rims as a braking surface?' and then laugh.
You're clearly a poor bike handler or bullshitting. Sure, I understand the idea of having a gravel disk brake for UK winters, but to claim the 'essential angle for a UK summer for a bit of rain is complete nonsense.
Yes, I am not a very good bike handler.

What is your point knob head?
That you aren't a good bike handler.

Karvalo
Posts: 2828
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

cveks wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 pm
Old school guys who are like 5+ years of cycling are almost 90% all rim brakes.
Lol what? No. People whose bikes are more than 5 years old are 90% rim brake. See if you can figure out why...

User avatar
zappafile123
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:24 am

by zappafile123

Whose taking bets?

Specialized will release an S-Works rim brake bike with a 'lighter, faster, simpler' marketing campaign at some point in the next 5 years? (ala Roval not making tubeless hoops)

I'm biased, but I see lots of old mates grumbling about their conversion to disc, longing for the bad old days.
Sarto Seta|StorckF.3|Enigma Elite HSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|Bianchi XR4/2|BMC SLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHelium SL/SLX|BH Ultralight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|Time RXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloSLC

openwheelracing
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 am

by openwheelracing

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:53 pm

??? The broken handlebar and seatpostgate were parts engineered for aero and comfort, nothing to do with chasing weight. Any number of conventional parts would have been lighter and safer. And the bike with the snapped seatstay was so strong it rode just fine without it.
That's your argument as a pro-disc, anti-rim cyclist? :shock:

openwheelracing
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 am

by openwheelracing

zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Whose taking bets?

Specialized will release an S-Works rim brake bike with a 'lighter, faster, simpler' marketing campaign at some point in the next 5 years? (ala Roval not making tubeless hoops)

I'm biased, but I see lots of old mates grumbling about their conversion to disc, longing for the bad old days.
You are absolutely correct. Cyclical business (straight from the owner's mouth of the largest @#%^&! dealer in the USA). No pun intended.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Locked