Please don’t make this a rim vs disc bloodfest. Stage 17 won with rim brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

Today the stage 17 was won with a choice of a rim brake bike. Photos from cyclingnews.com also confirm at least 3 UAE support riders also on rim brake. Tadej on prior mtn stages has gone with disc this year. My bet is narrow roads would make it difficult to get a quick bike change and wheel changes on discs with teammates is not a reliable choice. So perhaps this crucial stage ride rim Brake and have teammates around you with the same?

Please don't dive bomb this into another senseless r vs d sissy fight
Attachments
Stage 17 2021TDF.jpg
Last edited by tommasini on Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomato

by tomato

tommasini wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:13 am
Today the stage 17 was won with a choice of a rim brake bike. Photos from cyclingnews.com also confirm at least 3 UAE support riders also on rim brake. Tadej on prior mtn stages has gone with disc this year. My bet is narrow roads would make it difficult to get a quick bike change and wheel changes on discs with teammates is not a reliable choice. So perhaps this crucial stage ride rim Brake and have teammates around you with the same?

Please don't dive bomb this into another senseless r vs d sissy fight
They could just as easily swap in thru axles that don't need a wrench.

tommasini

by tommasini

Dont debate what they could have maybe done or that their decision was rubbish / how about putting yourself in the shoes of a UAE team manager and give us the justification ordering up this change in equipment at the most important race there is. What would that winning argument be?

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Yep my guess is it's all about a quick wheel swap on this particular stage.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

or good legs

besides the guys who could stay with TP the longest.. makes sense to have them on rim for wheel changes.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

You also have to reckon the prior probability of winning a stage is determined by the prevalence of rim brakes....its hard for anyone to win on rim brakes if no one is using them!

Whats happened with the colours in that photo, so saturated....black and white would be better ;)

Miller

by Miller

hoojammyflip wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:05 am

Whats happened with the colours in that photo, so saturated....black and white would be better ;)
Vibrance slider rammed up to max, ie cartoon level.

Broady

by Broady

Can we not start this argument again, I thought the tribalist nonsense finished at the weekend with the Euros.

AW84

by AW84

Are there even loaner-wheel motos in the race this year? Perhaps I just haven't been paying attention. A shame this traditional part of the motorcade may dissapear in the era of the disc brake.

Rossin67

by Rossin67

Shouldn't really be big news. A disc bike hasn't won a grand tour yet.

bas

by bas

They all went on rim. I'd guess a combo of weight given summit finish and quick wheel change from team mate, perhaps as mentioned they thought the team cars would be delayed in certain sections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryH

by HenryH

I find it fascinating how unprofessional these teams are at certain things. I can't remember who it was, but someone had to replace their front wheel quite late on the stage yesterday and the rider didn't even get off the bike. The mechanic spent forever. Even if the rider can't do much surely it would have had to been easier if he had jumped off the bike?

If I was in charge of one of these teams I would have made sure there was a specific "drill" for this - even if the rider can't do much with thru axles.

Mog88

by Mog88

HenryH wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:51 pm
I find it fascinating how unprofessional these teams are at certain things. I can't remember who it was, but someone had to replace their front wheel quite late on the stage yesterday and the rider didn't even get off the bike. The mechanic spent forever. Even if the rider can't do much surely it would have had to been easier if he had jumped off the bike?

If I was in charge of one of these teams I would have made sure there was a specific "drill" for this - even if the rider can't do much with thru axles.
Was that Chaves maybe? Saw him getting a front wheel yesterday and I think he was just straddling the bike. I'm sure some teams do practice, similarly to how some were practicing bike changes before the uphill time trial at last year's Tour, but definitely not all. In fact I'd probably guess most don't.

HenryH

by HenryH

Mog88 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:56 pm
HenryH wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Was that Chaves maybe? Saw him getting a front wheel yesterday and I think he was just straddling the bike. I'm sure some teams do practice, similarly to how some were practicing bike changes before the uphill time trial at last year's Tour, but definitely not all. In fact I'd probably guess most don't.
Correct. I believe it was him. Maybe it looked worse than it was, but the mechanic certainly didn't do his job gracefully :lol:

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Rim brakes and tubs…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com