Poor shifting and noise after Rotor cassette and direct Mount install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Hey folks, I just installed a Rotor Uno 11-30 cassette and a direct mount on my 2021 Trek Emonda and I took it for a ride and I’m getting inconsistent shifting and a lot of noise. Sometimes I’ll get smooth shifting and no noise and other times shifting was rough and noisy. None of the shifting was under heavy load.

I know that the Rotor cassette is designed to be closer to the width of a 10 speed cassette, so I used a hub spacer as Rotor suggested. I also read that adding an extra link to the chain when installing a direct mount helps with the noise. I ordered a new chain, so I’ll do that when I get it.

What should I do to resolve this? I assume I need to make some adjustments to the RD. Do I need to re-index it or something? Could the issue be cause by extra slack in the cable now that the RD has moved with the direct mount?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by drainyoo on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

have you check the hanger alignment? new hanger =/= aligned hanger

drainyoo

by drainyoo

ChiZ01 wrote:have you check the hanger alignment? new hanger =/= aligned hanger
To my eyes it looks straight, but I’ll get a tool and check.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Definitely reindex, always reindex when installing a different brand of cassette, how old is your chain?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check the cassette for sideways play. Use some muscle and see if it moves sideways. The same with the upper derailleur pulley/cage. Maybe something is loose.

But first as mentioned, adjust hanger alignment.

If your chain is too short it can also create some noise.

Alfus

by Alfus

If you want a good shifting quality, why to use Rotor?¿?¿?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks, folks. I re-indexed and it improved a lot, but still some clicking. I looked at the direct-mount hanger again and it seems like it's off a little, so ordered the tool to adjust. $120 for a friggin simple tool, hope that solves it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

There are way cheaper option for derailleur hanger alignment tools but ok

drainyoo

by drainyoo

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:00 pm
Yeah, but based on reviews they're garbage and not accurate.

joejack951

by joejack951

drainyoo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 pm
robbosmans wrote:
The Park Tool DAG-2.2 can be had for $80 as an example of a good tool for quite a bit less.

Whatever tool you use, take your time and get it close but don't worry about it being exact. There are too many variables between wheel trueness, frame squareness, etc. to worry about anything less than a couple millimeters difference in your measurements. Once the hanger is aligned, start from square one with the rear derailleur setup. You changed too major components affecting rear shifting (cassette and hanger, and then compound that with adjusting the hanger) so your limit screws are almost certainly set wrong.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:16 pm
drainyoo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 pm
robbosmans wrote:
The Park Tool DAG-2.2 can be had for $80 as an example of a good tool for quite a bit less.

Whatever tool you use, take your time and get it close but don't worry about it being exact. There are too many variables between wheel trueness, frame squareness, etc. to worry about anything less than a couple millimeters difference in your measurements. Once the hanger is aligned, start from square one with the rear derailleur setup. You changed too major components affecting rear shifting (cassette and hanger, and then compound that with adjusting the hanger) so your limit screws are almost certainly set wrong.
Ok will do. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Change only one thing at a time. That way you can isolate where any issue is coming from.

joejack951

by joejack951

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Change only one thing at a time. That way you can isolate where any issue is coming from.
Why bother? He wanted a new cassette and hanger. The hanger is a very basic part. It is either aligned or not, easy to verify. If the cassette won't shift properly, that issue would be there no matter which hanger is installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

So the hanger is perfectly aligned, it turned out to be the B screw setting. The guide pulley was way too far, and I overlooked it. I adjusted the spacing and it's shifting perfectly now. Anyway, thanks for all the help!