Custom Road Shoe Insole Source

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

viragevitesse

by viragevitesse

Go to your local podiatrist! Seriously. I went to see them because I have pretty flat feet and getting knee pain and all sorts. They did a 3D scan of each foot, sent it off to the lab, and a few weeks later they presented me with 2 pairs of custom insoles, one for use in cycling shoes made from carbon fibre and completely rigid, the other to use in everyday shoes. I just swap the insoles between whichever cycling shoe I want to wear. They are serious performance enhancers, and add more stiffness to your shoe system.

sennder

by sennder

I have fairly wide shoes. My Bontrager Velocis shoes (43.5 wide) fit my shoes fairly well (though a bit snug with thicker socks). However, after a couple of hours in the saddle, the outer side of my right foot develops a pain. The insole hasn't moved or anything, so I'm leaning towards trying one of the insoles mentioned in this thread before trying new shoes.

Anyone experience similar pain? Any other remedies?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Possibly Cleat position....outside of foot pain could be 'water falling', cleat is too inboard, try moving it out( costs nothing to try) could require longer spindle pedals...... anyway nearly always a fit problem,don't think it will be solved with an insole. Insoles tend to help with knee and hip alignment....up the kinetic chain but its difficult to pinpoint via a forum.

jwalther

by jwalther

dqgo wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:43 am
i'm using lintaman adjustable insoles which has a movable metatarsal pad and arch support.

they are alot cheaper than g8s.

https://lintaman.com/store/shop/insoles/
Those look really nice, but no US shipping unfortunately.
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

jmechy

by jmechy

jwalther wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:02 pm
dqgo wrote:
i'm using lintaman adjustable insoles which has a movable metatarsal pad and arch support.

I ordered some over the weekend to US. Haven't heard anything from them yet, but at least they let me put the order through.

sennder

by sennder

corky wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 am
Possibly Cleat position....outside of foot pain could be 'water falling', cleat is too inboard, try moving it out( costs nothing to try) could require longer spindle pedals...... anyway nearly always a fit problem,don't think it will be solved with an insole. Insoles tend to help with knee and hip alignment....up the kinetic chain but its difficult to pinpoint via a forum.
That makes a lot of sense. I do have Favero Assioma pedals with not a whole lot of clearance with the pod but will give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

jwalther

by jwalther

jmechy wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 am
jwalther wrote:
dqgo wrote:

I ordered some over the weekend to US. Haven't heard anything from them yet, but at least they let me put the order through.
I got a "we don't ship to the United States" message when I tried to check out.
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

velomane

by velomane

I sent them an email asking about shipping to Canada. They replied it would be 10euros.

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

jwalther wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:51 am
jmechy wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 am
jwalther wrote:
dqgo wrote:

I got a "we don't ship to the United States" message when I tried to check out.
Hmm, I just ordered a pair to NY state and the order went through. I guess, worst case I'll just get $30 refunded :noidea:
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My order went through too via PayPal checkout.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Anyone try any of the Sole insoles? Heat moldable. There's cork and Eva. There's also thin, medium, and thick models. I have an old pair I just dug up from 5 years ago and going to give re-give them a shot. They're the thin Eva model. Can't remember why I didn't use them. Not sure if new versions are any different.

Not many responses about the retul/specialized versions either. I read a review from James Huang and he said they were really good.

I just want a nice slipper like fitting shoe and insole.

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:26 am
Anyone try any of the Sole insoles? Heat moldable. There's cork and Eva. There's also thin, medium, and thick models. I have an old pair I just dug up from 5 years ago and going to give re-give them a shot. They're the thin Eva model. Can't remember why I didn't use them. Not sure if new versions are any different.

Not many responses about the retul/specialized versions either. I read a review from James Huang and he said they were really good.

I just want a nice slipper like fitting shoe and insole.
I've used the Sole inserts, but got hot spots after an hour of riding. My feet didn't like the rough surface of the them either. I've been using G8 Pro Series 2620 for several months now. I like the progressive method of subsequently inserting slightly higher arch pieces in the arch section of the inserts. They remain comfortable after 4 hrs riding. However, the higher arch pieces after #1 fill up more space in the shoe so a shoe 1/2 size larger than your normal size would greatly improve the comfort level. I have high arches so I need this.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/G8-Per ... soles/8LDZ
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

naavt

by naavt

I must start to say that I have quite unique feets! I have a super high arch and a supinated feet, to the point where findng the right shoes were very very complicated for me.

I've used G8 inserts and Retul (Specialized), inserts. Albeit much better than original ones (I'm using Bont shoes), they did not correct my supination to the point where I've made a severe rupture in my short peroneal tendon.

From that moment on I was advised to use custom insoles on all my footwear. I now use custom insoles made specifically for my gait and curiosly, they were cheaper than G8s and Retuls! Made at a sports physiatrist center where they have analyzed all aspects on my gait characteristics.

parleez1

by parleez1

naavt wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:55 am
I must start to say that I have quite unique feets! I have a super high arch and a supinated feet, to the point where findng the right shoes were very very complicated for me.

I've used G8 inserts and Retul (Specialized), inserts. Albeit much better than original ones (I'm using Bont shoes), they did not correct my supination to the point where I've made a severe rupture in my short peroneal tendon.

From that moment on I was advised to use custom insoles on all my footwear. I now use custom insoles made specifically for my gait and curiosly, they were cheaper than G8s and Retuls! Made at a sports physiatrist center where they have analyzed all aspects on my gait characteristics.
Curious about the Specialized/Retul custom insoles. How did they hold up for you? My understanding is they are heated and molded to take the form and height of your arches. My LBS sells them for $150 including the molding process. You're saying you had full custom insoles made for less? That's a great deal if so, and they work for you.
Wondering if you could post a picture of your Specialized insoles if you still own them. Interested to see how the forefoot allows your toes to make an impression in them.
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Thought I'd just post how I use my G8, to solve 'collapsing arches' (self diagnosed - I don't have super high arches but they need support when they 'collapse' eg when pedalling).
Simply directly (gaffer) tape the arch-thingies onto the shoes. This means I don't use the inner soles provided by G8 which is too thick for me. For a while I had been using the Bont inners (over the taped arches), but recently decided that removing them makes my too-small shoes snug/just right.
Less is more.