Custom Road Shoe Insole Source

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

parleez1 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:09 pm
naavt wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:55 am
I must start to say that I have quite unique feets! I have a super high arch and a supinated feet, to the point where findng the right shoes were very very complicated for me.

I've used G8 inserts and Retul (Specialized), inserts. Albeit much better than original ones (I'm using Bont shoes), they did not correct my supination to the point where I've made a severe rupture in my short peroneal tendon.

From that moment on I was advised to use custom insoles on all my footwear. I now use custom insoles made specifically for my gait and curiosly, they were cheaper than G8s and Retuls! Made at a sports physiatrist center where they have analyzed all aspects on my gait characteristics.
Curious about the Specialized/Retul custom insoles. How did they hold up for you? My understanding is they are heated and molded to take the form and height of your arches. My LBS sells them for $150 including the molding process. You're saying you had full custom insoles made for less? That's a great deal if so, and they work for you.
Wondering if you could post a picture of your Specialized insoles if you still own them. Interested to see how the forefoot allows your toes to make an impression in them.
Thanks!
Here it goes with pics. My Specialized indoles costed about the same as yours. 150€. The issue with SPecialized insoles is that, even if they are molded, the insole in itself cannot be made to overcome more serious corrections, and my feet had to be severely corrected for supination (as you can see by the heel cup on my new insoles.

The new insoles also integrate a metatarsal pad, something that Specialized insoles can't have due to the way that they are done.

The molding process was identical to the Specilized ones, but you can also see that my new ones picked up my arch curvature much better:

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Today I've found that there's a podiatrist in my city that can have Cobra9 custom insoles done. Does anyone have experience with these?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

shimmeD wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:07 am
Thought I'd just post how I use my G8, to solve 'collapsing arches' (self diagnosed - I don't have super high arches but they need support when they 'collapse' eg when pedalling).
Simply directly (gaffer) tape the arch-thingies onto the shoes. This means I don't use the inner soles provided by G8 which is too thick for me. For a while I had been using the Bont inners (over the taped arches), but recently decided that removing them makes my too-small shoes snug/just right.
Thank you for sharing! I didn't think of this. I also have the "collapsing" aches, but the #3 arch is making the shoe feel too tight, although it mitigates the collapsing issue well. I may try your method.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

parleez1

by parleez1

naavt wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:45 am
parleez1 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:09 pm
naavt wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:55 am
I must start to say that I have quite unique feets! I have a super high arch and a supinated feet, to the point where findng the right shoes were very very complicated for me.

I've used G8 inserts and Retul (Specialized), inserts. Albeit much better than original ones (I'm using Bont shoes), they did not correct my supination to the point where I've made a severe rupture in my short peroneal tendon.

From that moment on I was advised to use custom insoles on all my footwear. I now use custom insoles made specifically for my gait and curiosly, they were cheaper than G8s and Retuls! Made at a sports physiatrist center where they have analyzed all aspects on my gait characteristics.
Curious about the Specialized/Retul custom insoles. How did they hold up for you? My understanding is they are heated and molded to take the form and height of your arches. My LBS sells them for $150 including the molding process. You're saying you had full custom insoles made for less? That's a great deal if so, and they work for you.
Wondering if you could post a picture of your Specialized insoles if you still own them. Interested to see how the forefoot allows your toes to make an impression in them.
Thanks!
Here it goes with pics. My Specialized indoles costed about the same as yours. 150€. The issue with SPecialized insoles is that, even if they are molded, the insole in itself cannot be made to overcome more serious corrections, and my feet had to be severely corrected for supination (as you can see by the heel cup on my new insoles.

The new insoles also integrate a metatarsal pad, something that Specialized insoles can't have due to the way that they are done.

The molding process was identical to the Specilized ones, but you can also see that my new ones picked up my arch curvature much better:

Cool! Thanks for posting. I'm torn between the Specialized custom and the Sidas custom. The guy at the show that makes the Sidas told me they can mold in a metatarsal bump, which I do like. Not sure if they have as much cushion in the forefoot, so may have to visit the shop to check out a blank.
Good luck with yours, glad you found a source to make custom to address your foot issues.

Aesch

by Aesch

I'm looking for a pair of insoles too, I've tried the lintamans and although nice (and they have the metatarsal support I was looking for) I really miss the more pronounced heel cup that my old sq lab insoles offered.

Any tips on where to look for both the heel cup and metatarsal support? (deliverable to the Netherlands)

naavt

by naavt

Aesch wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:13 pm
I'm looking for a pair of insoles too, I've tried the lintamans and although nice (and they have the metatarsal support I was looking for) I really miss the more pronounced heel cup that my old sq lab insoles offered.

Any tips on where to look for both the heel cup and metatarsal support? (deliverable to the Netherlands)
As I stated earlier, the best way is to visit a sports center or orthopedist who makes them specially for you. You probably have some professionals who make them near you.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

naavt wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:29 am
Aesch wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:13 pm

As I stated earlier, the best way is to visit a sports center or orthopedist who makes them specially for you. You probably have some professionals who make them near you.
This.

Get to a good podiatritst who understands cycling.

They will cost you north of £500, but be one of the best investments you ever make if done right.

Aesch

by Aesch

OK, clear and thanks! I'll go and look for cycling/sports oriented podiotrists

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Sorry to hijack this thread - has anyone in this thread who ordered the insoles from Lintaman received them yet? It's been over a month for me and I've heard nothing - not even a shipping confirmation.

velomane

by velomane

Funny you should ask. I sent them an email earlier this week asking where my insoles were and have not received a reply. I'll be filing a dispute with paypal in a moment.

jmechy

by jmechy

Schadenfreude wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:57 am
Sorry to hijack this thread - has anyone in this thread who ordered the insoles from Lintaman received them yet? It's been over a month for me and I've heard nothing - not even a shipping confirmation.
I got mine about a week after ordering them. Never got any tracking information or any notice aside from the paypal order confirmation.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

velomane wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:19 am
Funny you should ask. I sent them an email earlier this week asking where my insoles were and have not received a reply. I'll be filing a dispute with paypal in a moment.
Yeah I sent one a couple of weeks ago asking if they had been shipped and had no reply. I might give it another couple of weeks as I think they are based in Germany? I know they are a small company, but it doesn't take long to reply to an email.
jmechy wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:53 am
I got mine about a week after ordering them. Never got any tracking information or any notice aside from the paypal order confirmation.
I see. Where are you located? How are you finding the insoles?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Same experience as jmechy. Never got a shipping notification other than my PayPal invoice, received my insoles about a week later. I'm in the US.

winterorb

by winterorb

Schadenfreude wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:57 am
I placed an order with them, asked about the shipping status 2 weeks later without any response from them, and the soles were suddenly in my mailbox the following week. No advance notification nor replies from the company. I'm in Singapore. The package however was sent from Taiwan.

The soles work fine for me but I would prefer the heel cup area to have more support.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

winterorb wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:12 am

The soles work fine for me but I would prefer the heel cup area to have more support.

I wish the metatarsal bump was separate from the arch piece. I need my arch set pretty far back, but the metatarsal pad needs to be in a normal location...