Bike case with fixed fork mount

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oddspam

by oddspam

I'm offered to buy a very solid bike case from Thule.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-packs- ... -_-1683469

There are two major concerns:

I will transport a modern road bike with thru axle. It seems to have been made in the QR age, but with adaptors for 15mm and 20mm axles. As I've understood it, this is just a pipe you put the axle thru. So if I use the 15mm, the bike will jump up and down some mm all the time? What will happen if I wrap my axle in some textiles and squeeze it in?

The design sounds really good for transporting a bike in the upright position. At the airports, bike cases often arrive flat. How will this affect the bike? Would there potentially be a lot of bumps up and down, with momentum from the "top" of the bike back to that fork mount?

(And weight is of course an issue, but Lufthansa offers up to 32 kg, so a road bike will fit well within.)

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

I heard good things about the Thule boxes (they rated quite highly in a number of tests here including Tour Magazine IIRC). Regarding the axles, looking at the images it looks very similar to the tacx bike stand I have you should be able to get 12mm ones I'd imagine. Otherwise you could probably just have some 3d printed or cnced from PVC or similar. Lots of places do that online (e.g. emachineshop) . I suspect your solution of wrapping in cloth will work as well, just not so elegant. Regarding transport laying down, I don't think this will be an issue unless some handler throws some 100kg sharp metal box on it.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com