Ciamillo Brakes - Warning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Coolcat

by Coolcat

Thanks for the great explanation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:35 pm
I'm going to sidetrack and avoid the whole discussion of fake/real/ted/Chinese and circle back to OP's first post regarding failures.

If you've ever used any ciamillo brakes, regardless of model....
can we give this guy a medal for bringing up the quality of the forum? :up:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

109er

by 109er

I have a set of the Zero G20's and they've been working great with no issues at all...so far. It took a long while for me to get them but for the money I'm very happy so far. They play nice with Campag levers which is a nice plus for me.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

Superlite

by Superlite

Brakes came in a few days ago. More finicky to set up compared to Zero G brakes I've used in the past. I'll report back once I get some miles on them.
Attachments
20211106_093358.jpg
20211106_093337.jpg

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Superlite wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:43 pm
Brakes came in a few days ago. More finicky to set up compared to Zero G brakes I've used in the past. I'll report back once I get some miles on them.
recommend 3.5Nm on the pad holder bolts instead of 6, blue loctite and some grit paste.

Oshsan

by Oshsan

Just want to add my recent experience with Ted Ciamillo - consider it a warning to anyone considering buying direct.

In a word: DON'T!

I ordered a set of the ZeroG20 SL brakes on 20 August 2021 after emailing back and forth direct with Ted. The brakes have never arrived, and 5 months later I've been met with nothing but excuses followed by silence. The phone number on the website is now ringing through to a full voicemail inbox.

Here's a timeline for the record - please draw your own conclusions:

20 August 2021: Placed order for ZeroG20SL after email exchange with Ted

2 September: no update - messaged Ted asking for shipping info

7 September: reply from Ted saying he'd been on holiday, but would "ship the brakes tomorrow"

8 September: UPS tracking number received

14 September: Tracking shows UPS still waiting for item from sender - messaged Ted asking for likely shipping date

- tumbleweed -

3 November: Still no reply from Ted. No sign of brakes. No tracking update from UPS. Send a message to Ted asking for news.

8 November: Still no reply. Message Ted threatening chargeback if no response within 48 hours.

9 November: Reply from Ted! Says he's raising a claim with UPS and can I remind him my shipping address. Offers upgrade to L8 Ultra. I reply to say I'll gladly accept but would be equally happy with the brakes I originally ordered 3 months previously. No response.

17 December: I message Ted asking for an update. No reply.

24 December: Message Ted asking for update. No reply. Phone number on website goes to voicemail; message inbox is full.

Maddie

by Maddie

Sorry to hear this, not surprised though. Ted at its best, doing this shit for years and years...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And I'm the jerk who consistently reminds people of his business practices. Sorry to hear this. I hope you can get your money back.

ms6073

by ms6073

Doesn't the EU have a reasonably good set of regulations governing online transactions and fraud? Seems like these could be used to help either recoup some losses or shut the company down.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Lol, at this point the chinese knockoffs are less of a scam than the real deal it seems.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

:lol:

Oshsan

by Oshsan

Thanks for the sympathetic replies above :thumbup:

Just to update: I tried emailing Ted again yesterday, not expecting much. To my surprise I got an immediate reply. Ted agreed to a refund which has now been received.

It's been a stressful experience and I'd repeat the advice to buy from a retailer rather than direct. But, at the end of the day I have my money back so that's a line under it.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Oshsan wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 am
Thanks for the sympathetic replies above :thumbup:

Just to update: I tried emailing Ted again yesterday, not expecting much. To my surprise I got an immediate reply. Ted agreed to a refund which has now been received.

It's been a stressful experience and I'd repeat the advice to buy from a retailer rather than direct. But, at the end of the day I have my money back so that's a line under it.
Grats! :beerchug:
Crisis averted

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Good news indeed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

My God, Ted has money. Pass the word to all the others waiting for refunds.