Ciamillo Brakes - Warning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

Hello everybody,

I would like to share with you that I have been in the forum since 2004. I do not write much but I am always reading the topics that all of you write because they are of great help to me.

I have never put a single criticism or complaint about a product or a brand and all my messages have always been very respectful.

However, I think I should share with you the experience I have had with Ted Ciamillo and his with his Lekki 8.

I bought the Lekki 8 at Dulight, where I am a regular customer. They arrived perfectly, the installation was laborious but without problems. Two weeks after putting on the brakes when checking the bike I noticed that three of the arms were broken at the height of the shoe holder.

A problem that could have had very serious consequences for my health. I contacted Bastien de Dulight and he was as kind as usual. He offered me a refund from minute 1 but I asked him to try to fix the brakes.

Bastien tried to contact Ted Ciamillo, who was not responding to Bastien's emails. Given the situation, I contacted Ted Ciamillo directly to explain what happened. He told me that they had a problem with a component supplier and that he would repair my brakes free of charge.

I sent the brakes by certified mail, he confirmed that he has received them and that they had even been repaired. I have all the emails.

The problem is that after more than 3 months of waiting the brakes have not arrived at my house and Ted Ciamillo has not even been able to provide me with a shipping receipt where he could prove that he really sent me the brakes.

I find it incredible that after such a serious problem with some brakes and that the customer only wants to repair them, avoiding all kinds of complications, the owner of the brand, Ted Ciamillo, behaves in this way.

I have paid a lot of money for defective brakes, I have sent them in for repair and these brakes have never been returned to me and there is not even a proof of shipment. What happened? Did Ted Ciamillo keep the brakes I bought?

I honestly find this type of reputation management painful in a sector where customer satisfaction is so important.

Fortunately Bastian has reimbursed me the money which I have invested in some EEBrake. Dulight has a client forever while the Ciamillo brand has ceased to exist for me.

Congratulations on your efforts Ted!
Attachments
Ciamillo Brakes.jpeg
Last edited by Rogeliote on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

If you have been a member here for so long you shouldn't be surprised by what's happened to you.

A simple search will show why.

Be glad you ordered from a great shop with stand up people.

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

Fully agree!

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

How about pinning this thread at the top of the forum?

It is frustrating that this keeps happening, and that customers continue to lose out.

justonwo

by justonwo

I would be very concerned about failures like those. It seems very unlikely that these issues were caused by the "supplier," but more likely from design choices.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

la rosa

by la rosa

He tried to fix his image on this forum & failed.

ms6073

by ms6073

la rosa wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:13 pm
I view that more as a successful PR campaign to encourage sales for his new brakes.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

la rosa

by la rosa

Really good point.

Coolcat

by Coolcat

I had already seen the threads on how Ted Ciamillo treats his customers when I bought some second hand Ciamillo brakes. The threads made me sceptical, but how bad could it be? I needed some spare parts, so I ordered them from him half a year ago. He replied quickly and said they would be sent immediately after payment. I paid, but he did not answer when I asked for the tracking number. Long time, multiple emails, barely any answer, no parts. Luckily I paid with Paypal, and I made a claim for a refund. He then replied that the parts were not sent yet, but he could send them now if I wanted. No thanks. I got the refund.

I will never buy anything from him again.

Jimmyrn85

by Jimmyrn85

I bought some Lekki 8's direct from Ciamillo. I made the purchase mid April, they arrived after delays (I chased, he replied) in the UK to me in mid June.

The installation was fiddly, I have just the rear one mounted at the moment to test and ensure reliability! I hope I don't get the same failure.

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

la rosa wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:13 pm
You're right ! I had about the same issue with Ted ( many years ago ).

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

caballero wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:55 am
If you have been a member here for so long you shouldn't be surprised by what's happened to you.

A simple search will show why.

Be glad you ordered from a great shop with stand up people.
Yes! Google :)

dolophonic

by dolophonic

@rogeliote yes bad news but i think you will have better luck with the EE brakes.

Living in Asturias you definatley need good brakes ! at least you have the great riding to enjoy. :thumbup:

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

The definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

elSid

by elSid

It's not insanity if the OP wasn't aware of the saga with Ted. Not everyone looks at the WW board often, and the subject is not always on the front page.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com