Ciamillo Brakes - Warning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Looks like Ted has stepped up his game. From my understanding the standard answer is that he will put it in the mail soon.

selfpropulsion

by selfpropulsion

Thank you for sharing your experience buying from Ted Ciamillo. I am new to this forum, and I didn't do my reseach well. In mid March I wired $570 to purchase 2 sets of G20SL brakes from Ted. I haven't received my brakes despite numerous promises. I should have used Paypal. What a rip off.
Coolcat wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:17 am
I had already seen the threads on how Ted Ciamillo treats his customers when I bought some second hand Ciamillo brakes. The threads made me sceptical, but how bad could it be? I needed some spare parts, so I ordered them from him half a year ago. He replied quickly and said they would be sent immediately after payment. I paid, but he did not answer when I asked for the tracking number. Long time, multiple emails, barely any answer, no parts. Luckily I paid with Paypal, and I made a claim for a refund. He then replied that the parts were not sent yet, but he could send them now if I wanted. No thanks. I got the refund.

I will never buy anything from him again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ceratomia

by Ceratomia

Good day, guys!

Does anyone have more expirience with those ali-ciamillo carbon brakes? How do they perfom?

Thank you!

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Ceratomia wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:15 pm
Good day, guys!

Does anyone have more expirience with those ali-ciamillo carbon brakes? How do they perfom?

Thank you!
They're no good.

Discodan

by Discodan

There's a whole thread on here you should be able to search for. My take on the verdict was that they flex a lot but actually work well

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

eurostar

by eurostar

Discodan wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:27 pm
There's a whole thread on here you should be able to search for. My take on the verdict was that they flex a lot but actually work well

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I agree. Mine work fine. All the criticism I've read is from people who don't have them and like to talk shit, or people who do have them but also have rims which are too wide for them. The flex is alarming when you first see it, but nothing bad happens.

There seem to be several different versions with different size arms, so be careful what you buy.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Who's going to be the first to order Gravitas gen 13 ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:44 pm
Who's going to be the first to order Gravitas gen 13 ;-)
I'll save you the trouble there, I already tried ordering a set and never got them, just constant delays and reasons why they were just a few more days off. Finally asked for a refund which I am still waiting on. I don't think he's actually figured out his build process yet.

I did at least get my L8 Ultra brakes delivered and while they don't have the best power, they are super light, look great, and get the job done.

charirider

by charirider

Why bother with carbon and shit service, just buy EE in silver and there will be the last brakes youl ever need on your WW bike.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

charirider wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:06 am
Why bother with carbon and shit service, just buy EE in silver and there will be the last brakes youl ever need on your WW bike.
Still saves a decent number of grams over the EE, and I bought the brakes before my experience with poor service.

charirider

by charirider

dmbiscuit wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:58 am
charirider wrote:
Still saves a decent number of grams over the EE, and I bought the brakes before my experience with poor service.
Fair enough on weight.
How about THM or AX Lightness carbon calipers? Are they in the same weight wise? Haven't heard any reliability issues with those...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

charirider wrote:
Why bother with nothing and shit service, just buy EE in silver and there will be the last brakes youl ever need on your WW bike.
Fixed.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

charirider wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:10 am
dmbiscuit wrote:
charirider wrote:
Fair enough on weight.
How about THM or AX Lightness carbon calipers? Are they in the same weight wise? Haven't heard any reliability issues with those...
A fair bit of users have had issues with THM brakes. But you have to use the search button here to find details.
EE is still the safest bet! Get them and forget about the rest
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

charirider

by charirider

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm
charirider wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:10 am
dmbiscuit wrote:
charirider wrote:
I went further on reliability - just stay on DA 9100 calipers)

Fair enough on weight.
A fair bit of users have had issues with THM brakes. But you have to use the search button here to find details.
EE is still the safest bet! Get them and forget about the rest

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

Has anyone else has Ted Ciamillo just keep their money, never deliver a product, and never complete a refund? I'm still dealing with Ted to refund me for the Gravitas I was dumb enough to order on faith. Sharing my embarrassment hear to help others not make my same mistake.