How often do you put air in your tyres?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 am
Every time I ride, every bike. Tire pressure is so important it's for me to imagine people spending piles of money on a bike then not looking after the single most important thing with regards to ride and performance.
Agreed.

And I like to think it's no coincidence that I basically never get flats (touch wood and hope I didn't Jinx myself!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

MikeD wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
theStig wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:10 pm
maybe some of the tubeless guys have magical setups like cars that dont' need pumping up every ride?
This. When I was running latex tubes it would be every ride. But now setup for tubeless, I add air maybe once every couple months. It's nice not having to worry about it. Just hop on and ride.
All my tubeless setups leak faster than butyl tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Weird. I've checked mine after a month or two and maybe a couple psi loss, nothing huge. If you're losing air that fast, I'd say it needs to be checked out, there's a spot not sealing properly. Because that's not normal for tubeless. One of the big draws for me was the ease of use after setting it up.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

djel

by djel

GP5000 TL 28- I check the night before but they don't leak fast and I can usually skip adding more air for a ride or 2

Veloflex EVO TLR 25 gum wall - They lose 5psi every time I blink and they drink sealant

MikeD

by MikeD

LanceLegstrong wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
theStig wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:10 pm
maybe some of the tubeless guys have magical setups like cars that dont' need pumping up every ride?
This. When I was running latex tubes it would be every ride. But now setup for tubeless, I add air maybe once every couple months. It's nice not having to worry about it. Just hop on and ride.
All my tubeless setups leak faster than butyl tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Weird. I've checked mine after a month or two and maybe a couple psi loss, nothing huge. If you're losing air that fast, I'd say it needs to be checked out, there's a spot not sealing properly. Because that's not normal for tubeless. One of the big draws for me was the ease of use after setting it up.
I think it's explainable because I use tubeless ready tires (require sealant), and the sealant is latex rubber, and we all know how fast air leaks through latex tubes so why wouldn't latex sealant leak down just as fast?

nickf

by nickf

Every ride.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Really?

I normally ride 2 days on 2 days off around work. So latex I would pump once for the 2 riders. Butal tubes i leave around 10days between top ups (lose about 10psi).

kervelo

by kervelo

Before every single ride.

The correct tyre pressure is much more important than saving a few grams by buying some exotic components. Of course, you can always do both. :)

Coolcat

by Coolcat

For butyl and Revoloops, maybe once a week. It's just not necessary to inflate on two consecutive days. I usually run 100 psi, and if I reinflate the day after, the pressure gauge usually reads just below (say 98 psi) initially. It can be like that after a week, too. I suspect the loss of those two psi may just as well be explained by air entering the pump hose (larger total volume in the system).

Also, when running 100 psi, there is a good amount of slack. Butyl tubes can hold air for weeks. In a hurry, short ride on a bike not used for a month? Just squeeze the tires, if hard enough, go ride, no problem.

I mostly use latex tubes and inflate them every day. They lose quite a bit of air.

gurk700

by gurk700

Every ride here. Habit from motos. Tire pressure is one of the most important things while racing motos. It’s pretty friggin important on bicycles too I imagine for optimum grip etc.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Every ride

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

For most tubeless tires, before every ride. For Goodyear Eagle F1/F1 SS I probably could have gone a week without caring about pumping up the tires. Those tires lost maybe 1psi per week.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Latex: 1 to 3 rides
Butyl: usually between 5 to 30 rides
Tubeless: 1 to many rides

Lots of variables for this one!

StanK

by StanK

Coolcat wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:47 am
For butyl and Revoloops, maybe once a week...
I don't run 100 psi, but 90, 95 highest, otherwise it's similar here.
But max. 7-10 days. After that is a must.

5 days, no problem, after that, depends. But I make the decision according to the good old measure of “thumb squeezing”. It's like that for past 35 years.

themidge

by themidge

Wow I'm surprised so many check every ride, is everyone on latex tubes?. With butyl tubes I just do the thumb test every now and then, probably actually top up pressure once every two weeks, if that. The last time I was on latex tubes they lost air quite fast so obviously I had to pump them up more or less every ride.

2000m2

by 2000m2

I inflate before every ride. Tubeless and Tubular seem to lose a lot of air between rides, Tubed Clinchers hold air better for me, but I still always use the pump to get the tires inflated to exactly where I want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com