"Fly Away" Kits - What do you bring with you on a trip?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johanalexander

by johanalexander

Cannoli wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:24 pm
The wife and I have been taking several long-weekend holidays to somewhat local destinations for a few days of riding in new areas. I typically take a few basic tools and spares with me in the event we have a mechanical issue while away from the home shop. This had me wondering what others brought with them when riding away from home for several days.

Here is a list I started for myself for times away from home with the bikes (2-5 days). I would love you input on what you take with you on short biking travel weekends. The list below is for two bikes (of the same kind depending if the trip is for road or gravel riding).

***Tools***
Ratchet Torque Wrench
Allen Wrenches
Park Tool Hand Torque Wrench
Rotor Tool
Chain Link Tool
Chain Breaker
Flash Light
Tube Valve Tool
Di2 Cable Tool
Di2 Diag Tool
Di2 Chargers
Dura Ace Power Meter Chargers
Bike Specific Headset Tool
Screw Driver Bits
Cassette Chain Whip
Cassette Socket
Bike Stand
Bearing Grease
Heavy Grease
Tri Flow
Chain Wax
Bike Cleaner
Micro Fiber Towels
Air Gauge
Derailleur Hanger Adjuster
Tire Levers
Cable Cutter
Cable Ends
Fourth Hand Cable Tool
Needle Nose Pliers
Flat Head Screw Driver
Phillips Head Screw Driver
Scissors
Electrical Tape

***Spares***
Spare Chains
Spare Chain Links
Spare Derailleur Hanger (for correct bikes)
Spare Cassette
Spare Tires (each size if asymmetric)
Spare Tubes (correct size)
Spare Cables (Front and Rear Derailleur)
Wow. That's more bike related tools than I have in my garage, and I've done fine in over ten years and loads of km's.
Eating trash'n riding fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zirxo

by zirxo

If I'm flying it's basically just the tools needed to reassemble the bike when arriving and my usual tools I bring on a ride. If I'm driving somewhere I usually bring about the same, if I run into bigger issues either the people I'm visiting will have some tools or I can just find a bike shop to help me out.

For races I always bring my toolbox, I don't want to have a mechanical just before the event and no way of fixing it.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I don't even own a 4th hand cable tool.😂
Not even when I had a fleet of 30 bikes to maintain. :shock:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

If going away with a couple of mates, just the basics (small torque wrench with star and hex bits, chain tool and a track pump in the bike box).

If going away with larger group or my team, the below with additions to top layer I never photographed.
Attachments
62FDFA61-A865-4EB7-B788-59457582214C.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

themidge

by themidge

Jesus, people go on whole bike packing trips with a multi tool, spare tubes and mayyyybe a quick link or spare cable! There is definitely no need to take your entire garage on a week long trip. I guess if you're driving you might as well take a track pump and a spare tyre or two (although a crumpet wrapper as a tyre boot was just fine when I sliced a tyre last week, still riding it :D), if you're flying I wouldn't even bother with that.

Remeber if you do break one of them, you can always do a road ride on a gravel bike, or a gravel ride on a road bike :thumbup:.

nickf

by nickf

If I'm traveling for 2 weeks ill bring a travel pump for pre-ride top-ups, lube, a couple of spare tubes, multi-tool, mini pump (cant fly with CO2). So far everywhere I go there is some sort of bike shop. I'm riding 2x10 mechanical with mechanical disc for that reason alone, every shop has parts for that stuff. I'm not bringing the entire garage with me. I give the bike a really good teardown and freshen everything up and replace things as needed before packing the bike up.

usr

by usr

Quite minimalistic: the tiny torque wrench to put the bar back on and the pump, chain lube, derailleur hanger and perhaps also a spare tire and shifter cable.

And then much less minimalistic: most of a Park Tool CPB-8 set and the monster hex bit to disassemble Power Torque, because my flying bike still has Bepro and pulling the crank is much less hassle than properly reinstalling Bepro. (also it's a tall person bike that barely fits into the hard shell box with chainrings still in place)