Grx di2 shifters on a road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I’m getting a new bike that will be upgraded to di2 hydro but can’t get a hold of any Ultegra shifters so the idea is to get GRX levers.
What are pros and cons of this type of shifter compared to Ultegra when used on road? How does it feel when held on the hoods in aero position? Are there any issues with comfort when riding on hoods? I do not care about that 3rd button or slight weight penalty. My hands are size 8 and I ride without gloves most of the year if that matters
Any feedback would be appreciated,
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjvirden

by tjvirden

I have them on a road bike that also sees some off-pavement work. The aero-on-hoods position is, for me, the significant difference to the "road" STIs; Di2 or otherwise.

It requires that your wrists are flexed down and needs two or three fingers wrapped underneath in order to keep your hands in place, whereas the road lever allows your fingers to lock the hand in position by going round in front of the lever if you prefer. For longer periods of time and on bad surfaces, when in the aero-on-hoods position, I think the road lever is perhaps a little more comfortable/secure, but there's not much in it. However, I find the the 815 hood superb at other times and particularly comfortable when leaning on it out of the saddle. For what it's worth my hands are size 9.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Thanks for the replay. I bought them and rode yesterday and today. They feel amazing. Position on the hoods feels very secure, my fists are locked in place. Wider and flat brake blades suit me. Also they feel stiffer when hard on the brakes compared to my old 8050 levers. I'm not sure if effective length on the brake blades is longer then on r7020 levers but braking is much more powerfull, although this might be to bad factory bleed.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

the grx di2 shifter feels great for rocky descents on the hoods, i also feel noticeable braking power increase, but for aero hood position aka elbow 90 degree, it is terrible compared to road di2, the top digs into your hand, you have a very awkward grip

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Grx di2 shifters are amazing. better in the hand than the standard Di2 shifters. When I do road rides on my gravel bike I could not be happier.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

Grx shifters are great, but the bump shape makes the aero hand position slightly harder. Normal ergossest are great though.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Agreed with others on the ergonomics of the GRX Di2 shifters. Braking and brake leverage while on the hoods inspires confidence, even when descending the rough stuff. The overall shape and size is comfortable for my hand size (unlike the older chunky SRAM mechanical/hydro 11-speed levers). Overall feels great with "standard" hand positions, but a bit awkward in the "aero position". Unlike the road levers, the GRX lever "hump" is shorter, smaller, and the top is angled differently. A different grip is definitely required.

kode54

by kode54

So if I have Dura Ace Di2 shifters on my gravel bike (Factor LS), is it as easy swap? Just remove DA and put GRX Di2 on, rebleed hydro, plug in wires and done?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Alfus

by Alfus

kode54 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:34 pm
So if I have Dura Ace Di2 shifters on my gravel bike (Factor LS), is it as easy swap? Just remove DA and put GRX Di2 on, rebleed hydro, plug in wires and done?
Thats it!

kode54

by kode54

Thx for that. I may switch to the GRX shifters...mainly because on a gravel ride...descending a steep area that was a bit rocky, I felt my hands slipping up and over the hoods. I didn't have the chance to grab the drops, but at that angle, I would rather sit more upright so I don't flip over the handlebars.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Now, I just have to locate a pair.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

IvanZg

by IvanZg

By the time I decided to buy them I was not able to get the pair. So bought them separately. For some reason it's hard to get the right lever. Left ones are readily available. If you're in Europe check velonova.lt they still have one in stock.

Last edited by IvanZg on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I got used to the aero position without much problems. It feels different and needs more precision while holding top of the hoods not to feel akward. Although I do not see myself having any issues with it as I won't be switching among bikes with differently shaped hoods. Plus my levers are rotated quite a bit towards the stem so that might have something with how they feel.

kode54

by kode54

IvanZg wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm
By the time I decided to buy them I was not able to get the pair. So bought them separately. For some reason it's hard to get the right lever. Left ones are readily available. If you're in Europe check velonova.lt they still have one in stock.

Thx. in the US. You're right...only left side usually available. I want to make sure I get a pair...otherwise, I may wait until new version comes around.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Bumping this thread again.

Has anyone swapped back to Ultegra/DA Di2 shifters after trying out the GRX Di2 ones?

I have had full GRX Di2 on my bike for 2 years. I have a gravel and road wheelset. On my gravel rides, the shape of the shifter and brake lever feels great while descending. But, when I'm on the road the shifter shape doesn't feel as great, especially in the aero position. For the times I don't wear gloves, the ridges on the shifter cause discomfort. I'm thinking of swapping to the road Di2 shifters to try it out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com