Does this rear dropout look normal to you? Standert Triebwerk Mach 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bliquid

by Bliquid

test
Last edited by Bliquid on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gurk700

by gurk700

For shifting issues the first thing I would always check is the derailleur hanger and see if it's straight. (if you're still having problems after proper setup/tuning, ofcourse)
A derailleur alignment tool is the best investment you can make as a home mechanic IMO. And if you search around, people have made very successful DIY tools for dirt cheap that work just as good. Sorry can't help further.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Both those dropouts look like they've been run with a loose skewer for quite some time.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

It looks like the skewer has rotated and worn down the material in the dropout.

Bliquid

by Bliquid

Last edited by Bliquid on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeD

by MikeD

Meh. Looks fine to me. That's normal for taking the wheel in and out and clamping the skewer.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

To me, that NDS dropout has either been badly machined, or was intentionally machined like that in order to correct an error in chainstay length on one side, or frame alignment. It definitely shouldn't be like that!

I don't think it can be caused by a loose skewer - steel dropouts are very hard and the NDS experiences tiny loads (increased if you have a disc brake; n/a here).

It may or may not be the cause of your noise - that depends on whether the rear wheel, and so cassette, is out of alignment enough, if at all.

Bliquid

by Bliquid

Last edited by Bliquid on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:30 pm
I don't think it can be caused by a loose skewer - steel dropouts are very hard and the NDS experiences tiny loads (increased if you have a disc brake; n/a here).
A shimano/steel axle absolutely will chew through a drop out if the skewer is not tight enough.

Both dropouts are showing signs of damage, you can see a smiliar shape in shots 2 (DS) and 3 (NDS)

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

BTW, what skewers have you been using?

tjvirden

by tjvirden

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm
tjvirden wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:30 pm
A shimano/steel axle absolutely will chew through a drop out if the skewer is not tight enough.

Both dropouts are showing signs of damage, you can see a smiliar shape in shots 2 (DS) and 3 (NDS)
Shot 2 is NDS........
There's no significant change from a "normal" shape - that I can see - for the DS in shot 1.
I suspect that in cases where a dropout is worn where the axle/end caps mate, the faces are also obviously worn - that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Edit: also, a steel dropout that wears instead of a steel axle is a poor spec - they should definitely be harder than the axle; always! Anything other than a steel dropout is a different matter

Bliquid

by Bliquid

Last edited by Bliquid on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:09 pm
Shot 2 is NDS........
sorry, yes you're absolutely right.
Brain fade.

Only other thing I can think of is the skewer partially tightening down on the end of the axle, rather than all on the drop out.

DHG01

by DHG01

Did you get a response? Do you still need a pic from
anorher Triebwerk?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 pm
Meh. Looks fine to me. That's normal for taking the wheel in and out and clamping the skewer.

Look again... The knurling and paint chips aren’t the problem. The NDS dropout is quite obviously non-round / oblong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com