Campy 12s chain catcher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have had a few unfortunate inboard chain drops in the past few days on Chorus 12s. Really annoying and traced to hi limit screw set too far inboard.

Turns out the adjustment of this screw is pretty sensitive, it needs careful fine tuning to avoid the chain dropping to the outside of the large chainring, or not making it to the large chainring at all, when shifting from the small to large chainring.

All adjusted now and seems to be working well, but I have decided I want to install a chain catcher.

Is there any alternative to the Campy chain catcher, or is that the best one to get?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

How would the chain catcher ("Schleck device") help against an outboard drop?

Edit: ah, on second pass it reads like you solved the outboard, but want to just-in-case the inboard drop. Which reminds me, I'm getting inboard drops recently and I'm reluctant to tighten the limit screw more because I can't simulate frame flex in the stand, I keep wondering if the drops (rare but repeated) might be avoided by positioning the trim steps differently.

corky

by corky

I use campy chain Catcher, they work and are unobtrusive........ k-edge are an alternative

F10

by F10

Would be interested in this too. I'm still suffering fluffed shifting and inboard chain drops when shifting small-to-big ring on Chorus 11; my own spannering and 2x trips to the LBS have yet to fully eliminate it...

micky

by micky

Im using a Fouriers chain catcher (needed the magnet for the Srm) but no matter how tight, it still moved those rare times it happend to drop a chain.

Miller

by Miller

The campag chain catcher is a stout thing that does what it's meant to do.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

micky wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:35 pm
Im using a Fouriers chain catcher (needed the magnet for the Srm) but no matter how tight, it still moved those rare times it happend to drop a chain.
Well I have ordered a Campy chain catcher and look forward to it arriving later on this week.

Keeping the whole drivetrain Campy makes sense despite the cost, I don't want to mess around with a wobbly chain catcher and can see the Campy mounting plate is well designed to prevent movement.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

micky

by micky

I might go that way by trying to do the Cofidis mix-match between Campy and Fouriers magnet.
There's a topic with pictures of it.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

I've found the campy chain catcher isn't as firm as the kedge ones, there is some flex that can make your chain get stuck behind it. (that said, i still use them because i'm a fanboi)

I just make sure i flex it outboard before tightening.

corky

by corky

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 am
I've found the campy chain catcher isn't as firm as the kedge ones, there is some flex that can make your chain get stuck behind it. (that said, i still use them because i'm a fanboi)

There's 2 types of Campagnolo chain catcher, one is stiffer than the other

The 2nd one is plenty stiff.....

God I hate this forum picture handling......... afraid you'll have to google Campagnolo chain catcher.....

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

your images aren't loading, but i'm using the EPS one, are there two EPS versions?
Last edited by Bobbyc123 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

duplicate

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

corky wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:02 am
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 am

There's 2 types of Campagnolo chain catcher, one is stiffer than the other

The 2nd one is plenty stiff.....

God I hate this forum picture handling......... afraid you'll have to google Campagnolo chain catcher.....
Well which one is the stiff one? Can you maybe link to photos?

corky

by corky

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I ordered the not so stiff one, haven't seen the 2020 model on sale in the UK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com