Another Kickstarter Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ohexploitable wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:53 pm

i wouldn't be, look at time pedals' market share

Don’t forget ATAC still has a following on the MTB/CX side. SRAM probably doesn’t want to keep doing Look-compatible pedals despite buying PowerTap, so yes I do think Time-based pedal power meters are coming, and I think SRAM will be able to grow its market share through way better distribution and marketing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

ohexploitable wrote:
RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 pm
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 pm
Just need a time compatible one...
I would imagine SRAM will see to that. I'd be very surprised if they take as long as Wahoo did with Speed play
What point are you trying to make?

They bought Time's pedal business to expand production and distribution.

Time's designs are generally well liked, but distribution and availability have been bad in recent years, and quality shockingly bad. They can easily improve on both.

ohexploitable

by ohexploitable

RDY wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 pm
ohexploitable wrote:
RDY wrote:
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 pm
Just need a time compatible one...
I would imagine SRAM will see to that. I'd be very surprised if they take as long as Wahoo did with Speed play

Time's designs are generally well liked, but distribution and availability have been bad in recent years, and quality shockingly bad. They can easily improve on both.
we don't know why sram bought time pedals, rossignol (who also own look and felt) have been trying to sell time for a while (probably because it was underperforming). sram probably got a good deal, the sale would've included manufacturing facilities and patents.

people don't readily change pedal types for a power meter, people in the market for a power meter are likely experienced cyclists who have already decided on a pedal system. shimano/look users after a power meter will go for assiomas/vectors or something non-pedal based, likewise for speedplay users. the only market for a time powermeter is thus existing time users. the investment cost of developing a powermeter would be the same as assiomas or vectors, but sram would sell fewer of them.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

ohexploitable wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:22 pm
people don't readily change pedal types for a power meter, people in the market for a power meter are likely experienced cyclists who have already decided on a pedal system. shimano/look users after a power meter will go for assiomas/vectors or something non-pedal based, likewise for speedplay users. the only market for a time powermeter is thus existing time users. the investment cost of developing a powermeter would be the same as assiomas or vectors, but sram would sell fewer of them.
I disagree.

Yes, many riders are loyal. After you buy a specific pedal type, you have to buy the compatible shoes, then when you want to replace your pedals you have to buy something that's compatible with your shoes, and so on. People get "locked in". It's a bit like photography - if you have a bag full of Nikon lenses, then your next camera will probably be a Nikon, even if there might be a Canon or Olympus which has other minor feature improvements - it's all determined by a vendor choice you made 10 years ago when tech was different - and after buying that new Nikon camera, guess what next year's lens purchase will be?

SRAM know this, and they know the best way to break people out of vendor lock-in (to increase market share) is to offer a step-change. Either something which is dramatically better on existing tech specs, or a cool new must-have feature which is enough to break a few consumers out of their habit. Power metering would be a good example. If you picked an experienced rider at random, a big new feature like power metering isn't guaranteed to convert them, but it's SRAM's best chance to gain market share. Simply offering a pedal 10g lighter than last year's model isn't enough to convince most people to buy your new pedal and replace all their existing shoes or cleats.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I like my power meter pedals.
Right now that restricts me from using Time Iclic style pedals.
If SRAM comes out with Iclic-based power meter pedals, I'd at least consider them.

RDY

by RDY

ohexploitable wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:22 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 pm
ohexploitable wrote:
RDY wrote:

we don't know why sram bought time pedals, rossignol (who also own look and felt) have been trying to sell time for a while (probably because it was underperforming). sram probably got a good deal, the sale would've included manufacturing facilities and patents.

Um ... Rossignol does not own Look. Activa Capital owns Look. Also no production facilities were transferred as part of the deal. A 'good deal' is not a reason to buy something. With better production quality and final design approval at SRAM, they have a good opportunity to take a good chunk of the pedal market with the acquired Time business, and Time is a much better brand to sell pedals under than SRAM itself.

The idea that SRAM would sell less power meter pedals than Favero or Garmin is laughable. They sell gruppos, wheels, components and on the MTB side suspension forks and rear shocks too. If they push into the segment they'll sell way more. How many factory build bikes you see with Assiomas or Vectors? Distribution is another big factor.

I'd be shocked if Time Quarq xxx pedals aren't on the market within 18 months.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

ohexploitable wrote:
Yeah. It's a far cry from an the days when something like 20% of the pro peloton were buying their own time pedals instead of using the sponsor provided looks.