Campy EPS weird problem...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Hoping the collective knowledge can help me out... my wife's tri bike is acting really strange. The rear derailleur all of a sudden "forgets" the top gear and after a while, the second from top plus is starts to fall out of position (as in not shifting crisply from gear to gear). If I reset the power unit (with the magnet that plugs into it), I can set everything up again and it will work perfect for a while (sometimes an hour, sometimes for multiple rides).

I'm at my wits end. ANY idea will be helpful at this point.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Aside from zero setting, it may be that the cassette fitting is loose; might be worth checking if it's tightened up to 40 Nm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulcha

by kulcha

A bent hanger, perhaps?

WESTMOTORSPORTS

by WESTMOTORSPORTS

That is a classic sign that the upper limit screw is set too tight. If the power unit senses any resistance from limit screw, it will act just as you describe. Firstly, make sure that the hanger is correctly aligned. If it is aligned and all other gears shift well, a simple readjustment of the upper limit screw might be all it needs. To set the upper limit screw, shift into largest sprocket, then screw limit screw until it to "just" touches, then back screw off half a turn. If this doesn't totally fix your problem, align derailleur hanger, back limit screw off, reset settings, and then adjust set screw as instructed. Remember, the limit screw "IS NOT" a limit screw that limits travel when in use....it is a failsafe that if the power unit fails or the derailleur hanger gets bent, the derailleur will not travel into the spokes.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've run into this but I notice it right away. The clear sign was that I could not drop a gear after going to high. It would, but it would take a few seconds. I never waiting to see what happens if I left it out of adjustment.

audiojan

by audiojan

WESTMOTORSPORTS wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:27 pm
That is a classic sign that the upper limit screw is set too tight. If the power unit senses any resistance from limit screw, it will act just as you describe. Firstly, make sure that the hanger is correctly aligned. If it is aligned and all other gears shift well, a simple readjustment of the upper limit screw might be all it needs. To set the upper limit screw, shift into largest sprocket, then screw limit screw until it to "just" touches, then back screw off half a turn. If this doesn't totally fix your problem, align derailleur hanger, back limit screw off, reset settings, and then adjust set screw as instructed. Remember, the limit screw "IS NOT" a limit screw that limits travel when in use....it is a failsafe that if the power unit fails or the derailleur hanger gets bent, the derailleur will not travel into the spokes.
I should've been clearer. It's not the largest cogs, but rather the smallest cogs, so not related to the limit screw.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

audiojan

by audiojan

Hanger is perfectly straight (and I replaced it just in case, but issue is exactly the same). Cassette is torqued to 40Nm.

It really seems like it's some kind of issue with the power unit. It's almost as if it's "senile".

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Have you done a zero reset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Mockenrue wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:21 pm
Have you done a zero reset?
Absolutely. First thing I did. Second was a complete reset with the magnet (plug in, not that strap).

I have no idea what caused this, but I took everything apart yesterday and reconnected it. Seems to be working. We're heading out for a ride this afternoon, so that will be the tell-tale sign