reverse bar taping

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Hey, I have a aerofly II handlebar on my tarmac sl5 and want to do a reverse bar taping. On the side of the barplug it is easy but how do you end on the side where the EW-RS910 is in the handlebar? The tape can not be stuffed in the handlebar.

C36

by C36

Timmy269 wrote:Hey, I have a aerofly II handlebar on my tarmac sl5 and want to do a reverse bar taping. On the side of the barplug it is easy but how do you end on the side where the EW-RS910 is in the handlebar? The tape can not be stuffed in the handlebar.
Tried 2 options
- glued the end
- use clear shrinking tube.

The first one looks cleaner (if cut properly), the second one offers a more reliable fix, even with just 7-8mm width.

- - - - - - - - -
Supersix evo2HM : 5.71Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Don’t, it simply doesn’t have any advantages

C36

by C36

It does, it’s cleaner, slicker.

Yes it has cons, it wears faster. But it’s not necessarily a problem depending of your bar tape-type.

- - - - - - - - -

Mesi

by Mesi

I still do not get why one even would do that. There is a reason, why bartape is wound the way it is, no?

C36

by C36

Mesi wrote:I still do not get why one even would do that. There is a reason, why bartape is wound the way it is, no?
You don’t have to use electrical tape next to the stem, then cleaner cockpit.
Historically, it was a rare wrapping, mostly done only on leaders bike since it implied more frequent bar tapes changes.

So yes it wears faster, less if you have a tape with chamfer, but still faster.
The only (bad) picture I have, probably 2000km on this one (and I destroyed lizardskin v2 in few 100s wrapped in a traditional way… so wear is quite relative).

Edit: this is a cleaner shot on a previous bike

- - - - - - - - -

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Indeed the only reason why i don't use that reverse bar taping on all my bikes is that junction box...

one60

by one60

with the right setback/weight distribution, the weight of my hands on the bar tops doesn't lead to any issues. YMMV
IMG_3025.jpg
zipp.jpg
IMG_2915.JPG

none

by none

Those carbon bars with flat section on the bartop offer enough comfort, no need for bartape, save more weight for WW.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I know otrs cleaner, but have no solution for the di2 junction in the nar

MikeD

by MikeD

If you want to eliminate the electrical tape near the stem, I've seen where you can Superglue the end of the tape down to itself and thus avoid the curling of the bar tape edges problem with wrapping the bar tape in the wrong way (i.e., stem to bar end).

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I use silicone self fusing tape.
No adhesive mess and it is very durable and stays clean.
Attachments
IMG-0924.jpg

Raimundo

by Raimundo

😅 Guys, the OP wants to know if somebody has an elegant solution (as in invisible) for the bar-end finishing when doing reverse taping on a EW-RS910 equiped handlebar...

Since the humble bar-end plug has to be replaced by the junction box, there is no smooth way to shove the final section of the bar tape inside the handlebar end and then press everything into place with the plug/junction box.

As C36 pointed out the logical solutions for EW-RS910/reverse taping users are not "better" than doing a traditional wrap at the end of the day. One still has to use the electrical tape, glue or shrink wrap...

I for one would also like to know the answer to the OP question, but i am not going to hold my breath.
One might aswell wait for the DA9200 to scratch this itch, as i believe there will be no more separate junction boxes like the EW-RS910. But i might be wrong...

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Would it be possible to do a reverse wrap from the centre of the handlebar to under the hood of the brake levers, then do a plain wrap from the end of the handlebar to under the hood and join the tape there where it cant be seen?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

I wrapped my handlebars regularly, but still used a trick to keep the tape down at the bar-end: electric tape inside out (so the sticky side is outside), maybe for your purposes thin double-sided tape? Or a short piece of heat shrink tube?