Similar to SSE after crash?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ff119

by ff119

QOM to car hitting me within 48 hour. My frame is dead on my almost new super six evo, frame is a 44 so not easy to find a new one. Not even sure what is similar enough if the insurance even pays out, I'm waiting for answers.

Very shaken up and thankfully had a helmet on. I was in a cycle path, like the safest place around here to cycle

alcatraz

by alcatraz

SSE, QOM - queen of the mountain?

Good you're ok. Sorry to hear about the crash. Some of my friends wear high visibility gear even if it makes them look a bit silly. What about bike lights?

I like to say that the greater your speed on the road you're riding on differs with the traffic around you, the riskier it is. Bike path or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Sorry to hear that, at least it sounds like you aren't too worse for wear :(

If you can't get another Supersix, I've heard that other all round race bikes (Tarmac, Addict, Teammachine, etc) come close, but ultimately the current gen Supersix below size 54 has slightly unique geometry which puts it in the more stable camp. However 44 is quite an extreme size, so I'd be hesitant to extend generalisations to that size. In the current climate, you may just have to take what you can get your hands on, as it's unlikely to get much better anytime soon.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

ff119

by ff119

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:03 am
SSE, QOM - queen of the mountain?

Good you're ok. Sorry to hear about the crash. Some of my friends wear high visibility gear even if it makes them look a bit silly. What about bike lights?

I like to say that the greater your speed on the road you're riding on differs with the traffic around you, the riskier it is. Bike path or not.
Are you in any way trying to say it was my fault? The driver saw me, it was daytime, the bike path is crossed only for a car park, he saw me and pulled out anyway. I wasn't going fast. This is NOT my fault.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

I agree with @ff119, not really the place to put the burden on cyclists for drivers been shitty at driving (especially in a place where car's aren't allowed).

Glad to hear you are okay, bikes can be replaced, you can't. I would try reaching out to Cannondale directly whilst you're waiting on the insurance, they may help you out after the incident due to the situation so I would say it's worth a try!

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Bad luck - that's an unpleasant start to a new bike; don't let it put you off riding.

The current generation Trek Emonda size 47 and Specialized Tarmac size 44 are similar in geometry, but there are small differences that may or may not bother you personally.

Re the collision. Motorists (and pedestrians where I am) either not looking properly, or looking and pulling out anyway is, sadly, commonplace. There are circumstances when additional measures for visibility (being seen) are practical, but you can cycle with a Christmas tree decorated with flashing lights on your head and if someone (motorist, cyclist, pedestrian) doesn't look properly, they don't see you and often cause a collision as a result; there's not much you can do about that, which is very frustrating. And the party that doesn't look properly and in consequence causes the collision is definitely the one at fault.

I'm afraid that cycle paths, unless they are physically segregated from motor traffic, are not particularly safe places to ride. That is a generalisation, but an accurate one I think. I can appreciate that there may not be anywhere better; outside of places such as the Netherlands, cycle paths are ususally designed by well-meaning people who do not have the competency to do so.

ff119

by ff119

Tifosiphil wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 pm
I agree with @ff119, not really the place to put the burden on cyclists for drivers been shitty at driving (especially in a place where car's aren't allowed).

Glad to hear you are okay, bikes can be replaced, you can't. I would try reaching out to Cannondale directly whilst you're waiting on the insurance, they may help you out after the incident due to the situation so I would say it's worth a try!
They don't have spare frames, there is 1 brand new 44 SSE in the UK on hold for me, I knew where they had it before I bought mine, remember I just got the bike. But the insurance hasn't said if they are willing to replace it yet.

ff119

by ff119

tjvirden wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm
Bad luck - that's an unpleasant start to a new bike; don't let it put you off riding.

The current generation Trek Emonda size 47 and Specialized Tarmac size 44 are similar in geometry, but there are small differences that may or may not bother you personally.

Re the collision. Motorists (and pedestrians where I am) either not looking properly, or looking and pulling out anyway is, sadly, commonplace. There are circumstances when additional measures for visibility (being seen) are practical, but you can cycle with a Christmas tree decorated with flashing lights on your head and if someone (motorist, cyclist, pedestrian) doesn't look properly, they don't see you and often cause a collision as a result; there's not much you can do about that, which is very frustrating. And the party that doesn't look properly and in consequence causes the collision is definitely the one at fault.

I'm afraid that cycle paths, unless they are physically segregated from motor traffic, are not particularly safe places to ride. That is a generalisation, but an accurate one I think. I can appreciate that there may not be anywhere better; outside of places such as the Netherlands, cycle paths are ususally designed by well-meaning people who do not have the competency to do so.
The only way to have avoided the crash is if I saw someone wanted to turn, assumed he wouldn't respect the law, stopped with an emergency stop, hoping the boris bikes behind me didn't crash from behind.

But then when the light is green do you stop to make sure people are stopped on the other sides? At what point is it safe to ride? I was in an area full of families/kids/tourists (no helmets)

he saw me, pulled right out anyway. Bikes don't stop instantly sadly.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of anything. Why so defensive? Just sharing some simple tips.

As cyclists it usually doesn't matter who's right legally in an accident. The cyclist almost always loses. Health, time, money... etc.

I crashed into a pedestrian last year at high speed. The guy had been drinking and didn't use the crosswalk. Did I curse him out? No, I helped him to the hospital and made sure he got stitched up. Shit happens. No police got involved. I shook his hand and parted ways on good terms. I fixed my bike myself. Cost me a few bucks. Had to true my wheels and check for cracks etc. Luckily we both weren't seriously harmed. I'll get more visibility stuff if I ride under similar conditions. (I didn't lack any legally, but could my stuff be better, sure.)

ff119

by ff119

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm
I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of anything. Why so defensive? Just sharing some simple tips.

As cyclists it usually doesn't matter who's right legally in an accident. The cyclist almost always loses. Health, time, money... etc.

I crashed into a pedestrian last year at high speed. The guy had been drinking and didn't use the crosswalk. Did I curse him out? No, I helped him to the hospital and made sure he got stitched up. Shit happens. No police got involved. I shook his hand and parted ways on good terms. I fixed my bike myself. Cost me a few bucks. Had to true my wheels and check for cracks etc. Luckily we both weren't seriously harmed. I'll get more visibility stuff if I ride under similar conditions. (I didn't lack any legally, but could my stuff be better, sure.)

very unhelpful reply.

There was no lack of visibility if he saw me and pulled in front anyway. No lights/vest/etc would have made it different.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am

If you can't get another Supersix, I've heard that other all round race bikes (Tarmac, Addict, Teammachine, etc) come close, but ultimately the current gen Supersix below size 54 has slightly unique geometry which puts it in the more stable camp. However 44 is quite an extreme size, so I'd be hesitant to extend generalisations to that size. In the current climate, you may just have to take what you can get your hands on, as it's unlikely to get much better anytime soon.
Supersix Evo is indeed, special. 55mm fork offset make size 48 has trail value=58mm, ideal value most manufacturers aim for on road race bike. Most other bikes with less fork offset can achieve it at size 52 and up. But SS Evo get it at 48.
44cm SSEvo can get trail value=60mm. Very very close to 58mm of other sizes. Way better than trail=70mm+ of Giant TCR and Canyon etc. who use low fork offset on all sizes.

Similar bikes with good handling in small sizes that Ican think of in my head include (not inclusive):
All modern Cervelo,
Felt AR Disc,
BMC Timemachine Road (but Teammachine is not good on small sizes)

PS. Specialized is not as good, but close.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sorry to upset you. I hope you get sorted out.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

ff119 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:26 pm
There was no lack of visibility if he saw me and pulled in front anyway. No lights/vest/etc would have made it different.
Yeah, that is an issue with cycle tracks/lanes and drivers in the UK, a huge number of drivers treat cyclists using them as pedestrians, take no notice or interest in their speed or direction, just a fuzzy blob they can ignore, because you're travelling at "walking speed". The design of them doesn't help either, even when you (as a cyclist) actually have right of way, the road markings are poor or the drivers just ignore them.
I've been hooked a few more times than i'd like to think about while using even the most pasic cycle lane (white line along the road). So gave up using them altogether.

Counterintuitively, it's quite often safer to joint the main traffic flow, instead of using the cycle lanes, but only you can make that call, based on your situation and location at the time.

Hope you aren't too battered, and get something sorted out through the drivers insurance. If you're a BC or CUK member, it might be worth contacting them and their legal departments, or failing that, many home insurance providers used to provide assistant for stuff like this.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

everything has went up in price, 9170 shifter+caliper combo are selling for $1000+ on eBay. Even if the insurance paid retail which they will certainly not, it is unlikely to get a bike with the same spec currently

ff119

by ff119

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:37 pm
Jackofallgrades wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am

Supersix Evo is indeed, special. 55mm fork offset make size 48 has trail value=58mm, ideal value most manufacturers aim for on road race bike. Most other bikes with less fork offset can achieve it at size 52 and up. But SS Evo get it at 48.
44cm SSEvo can get trail value=60mm. Very very close to 58mm of other sizes. Way better than trail=70mm+ of Giant TCR and Canyon etc. who use low fork offset on all sizes.

Similar bikes with good handling in small sizes that Ican think of in my head include (not inclusive):
All modern Cervelo,
Felt AR Disc,
BMC Timemachine Road (but Teammachine is not good on small sizes)

PS. Specialized is not as good, but close.
Mine was the 44, so trail was 60 but lower front stack. I thought the lower stack was better between the 44 vs 48 when I was debating.

I called cervelo = next year

felt= never checked

BMC I thought didn't come so small?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com