Handlebar suitable for aero hood position.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

I have been riding that position for a few years now, my two bikes are on 3T Egronova (the old one)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

So, one year past after I start this thread.

I ended up buying Bontrager XXX VR-CF Aero handlebar that I originally consider anyway.

Last year, I was on 120mm stem using Cannondale SuperSix all round bike.
Earlier this year, I switched to Cannondale Systemsix aero bike with longer frame reach, so my stem was shorten to 110mm using a normal bar. This 93mm reach bar shorten my stem further, it is now a 90mm stem.

My shifter position is still about where it was (
also a bit higher bar than before), but the bar top now support my forearms rather than my wrists. Comfort and sustainability of aero hood position is greatly improved. And IMO, worth the uncoolness of short stem.
Attachments
20220709_210308.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

and this is the actual forearm support I got with Shimano R8070 shifter. If I switch to 12 speed gen shifter, the shifter hood would get even longer and bar top would align more toward mid forearm.
20220721_120117.jpeg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

And there's a new costlier handlebar solution made to fit this use case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSfdpJjNqq8

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I think Aerocoach Ornix could be (one of) the bar I'm looking for.
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/11/aerocoa ... -the-bars/

32.5cm wide top, 91mm reach. Oh, so PERFECT numbers!
But hmm, that long reach mostly come from the forward offset at the bar clamp. Not really providing me more resting area for the forearm behind the shifters?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:27 pm
And there's a new costlier handlebar solution made to fit this use case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSfdpJjNqq8
No worries, soon this guy change bike and components again and then those are the best and those which were best previously, will be tainted with issues.
"emperor's new clothes syndrome"
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^ Yeah, he change his bike and components very often, isn't he?
But that's beside the point.

Point of this topic is to search and list bars that seems to suit aero hood position.
That Speeco one is way too expensive for me. So eventhough it looks like a well made options, It's not on the list of bar I want to buy regardless of what a Youtuber say how nice it is.

robeambro

by robeambro

Any more updates on this?

I can see that Bontrager XXX VR-CF Aero is a good candidate, and there's also the PRO Vibe Aero Alloy Pursuit but a) it's alloy and I worry about it reducing comfort (which would defeat the purpose, if you can't stay aero for long) and b) most of its additional reach seems to derive from a forward bend.

xav

by xav

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:34 am

But hmm, that long reach mostly come from the forward offset at the bar clamp. Not really providing me more resting area for the forearm behind the shifters?
The curve of the tops is shaped to follow your wrists/forearm in the aero hoods position. It's not obvious from looking at it but if you can borrow/test a pair when they're out you'll see what I mean. It was one of the goals of the bar - but not to be UCI illegal by having an actual forearm position as otherwise they wouldn't be approved. The Ornix bars were seen by the UCI over a year ago and they're happy with them under both the old rules and the updated ones.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Right, but Bontrager XXX VR-CF Aero handlebar can do 93mm reach mostly with extension behind the shifter.
The flaw of Bontrager though, is that it doesn't have much flare so such long reach geometry cause arm to bar inteference when using drop.
Ornix have more flare, so I think it should be able to get away with more extension behind the shifter, and less near the stem clamp?

C36

by C36

xav wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:44 pm
The curve of the tops is shaped to follow your wrists/forearm in the aero hoods position. It's not obvious from looking at it but if you can borrow/test a pair when they're out you'll see what I mean. It was one of the goals of the bar - but not to be UCI illegal by having an actual forearm position as otherwise they wouldn't be approved. The Ornix bars were seen by the UCI over a year ago and they're happy with them under both the old rules and the updated ones.
Xav, I like the narrow, the flare, the space for the front-arms when sprinting... but it's not a 90mm reach bar... between the flat part and the hoods it's a small-reach design (that matters if I like more difference between a climbing position and an aero one), reach value is extended by this "stem extension" you have.

xav

by xav

C36 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 pm
xav wrote:
Xav, I like the narrow, the flare, the space for the front-arms when sprinting... but it's not a 90mm reach bar... between the flat part and the hoods it's a small-reach design (that matters if I like more difference between a climbing position and an aero one), reach value is extended by this "stem extension" you have.
We measure reach from the stem clamp area, not from the tops. The tops can be at any angle (forward sweep, back sweep etc.) so you can't define a reach measurement from the tops - the hood clamp sections on this bar are further away than most others, because the reach is 91mm and not ~80mm. The distance from the tops to the hoods however, is pretty much unchanged/not overly dramatic, as you say 8)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

So, it's a long reach bar. But doesn't provide the benefit that people who like long reach bar are looking for.
No forearm support that extend more rearward behind the hood.
Top is at the same distance behind the hood as a shorter reach bar.

So what is the benefit that this bar still get from a long reach number?
Can't we just get the top far behind the hood like Bontrager XXX Aero road bar?

uppis

by uppis

xav wrote:
Hexsense wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:34 am

I think I figured out what you mean with the shape, supporting the forearm like Tim Wellens did with bar tape?
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/02/wellens ... the-rules/

xav

by xav

uppis wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:08 am
I think I figured out what you mean with the shape, supporting the forearm like Tim Wellens did with bar tape?
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/02/wellens ... the-rules/
Yes exactly, the shape of the tops allows for this to be comfortable without creating a "scoop" area which is UCI illegal
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:46 am
So, it's a long reach bar. But doesn't provide the benefit that people who like long reach bar are looking for.
No forearm support that extend more rearward behind the hood.
You're not allowed a specific forearm support section on a set of drop bars, that is UCI illegal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com