Handlebar suitable for aero hood position.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

maxim809 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:36 pm
Another thing you can try is to lower the shifters down to the bar's limits. Sometimes this can create a groove between the shifter hoods and the bars which makes for a nice cup for your hands to sit in the breakaway position. This also stretches out the total effective reach by a few mm's since the upper tip of your shifters become part of the grippable real estate in that position you are after.
Finally, I replaced my Aerofly II. But I didn't go with Bontrager bar I originally interested.
I chose Prime Primavera Aero handlebar in 36cm size.
On paper, the reach is 75cm, barely any longer than Aerofly II 38cm. But the actual shifter clamp area of drop hook is slightly further forward.
I also use your trick to mount the shifters lower than my usual position. I end up gaining about 15mm of extra space for my forearm.

Since 36cm bar is narrower than my shoulder, instead of lengthen the stem reach as I go down in bar size, I actually want to reduce the stem reach. When using hood, instead of arm extending forward only, it now have to bend in as well by a tiny amount. That was taken care off by raising the bar by a few mm.

This few mm taller bar with just a bit more space to rest my forearm makes me more happy with the aero hood position now.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

I wish they did their Doyenne version in a 36cm. I've been looking for a bar in 36cm with flare and the only thing that is coming up is the Enve SES or the Vibe Alloy Pursuit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Tifosiphil wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:19 am
I wish they did their Doyenne version in a 36cm. I've been looking for a bar in 36cm with flare and the only thing that is coming up is the Enve SES or the Vibe Alloy Pursuit
I use 38cm bar from zipp. Looking at them I wonder how much do I really save (aero wise) in such a short width bar. On a 36cm it must be negligible for sure. The bars have to round up for the stem to attach. The aero foil part is tiny tiny. I guess what you want (and it's very very hard to find - please let me know if you find one even in 38cm) is a gravel handlebar that is 36cm wide and with some 12° flare so in the drops it grows to 40cm more or less)

Singular

by Singular

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:06 pm
Tifosiphil wrote:
I use 38cm bar from zipp. Looking at them I wonder how much do I really save (aero wise) in such a short width bar. On a 36cm it must be negligible for sure. The bars have to round up for the stem to attach. The aero foil part is tiny tiny. I guess what you want (and it's very very hard to find - please let me know if you find one even in 38cm) is a gravel handlebar that is 36cm wide and with some 12° flare so in the drops it grows to 40cm more or less)
Especially those bars that have an extended round part (for mounting head units, clip-ons et cetera) - there is very little shaped part left... :)

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Singular wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:11 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tifosiphil wrote:
Especially those bars that have an extended round part (for mounting head units, clip-ons et cetera) - there is very little shaped part left... :)
I would say you will get a lot more dramatic saving from your position on the narrower bars that the bars themselves.

An aero bar only saves around 4W from a round handlebar (based on 42cm, Cervelo), you save around 0.5W per 10mm decrease in width of bars (at 32kph, Aerocoach).

But at the same time a dip in bar height of 2cm can save around 5%, I've heard rumours of narrower positions saving some riders up to 30W

Singular

by Singular

Tifosiphil wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:58 pm
Singular wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Tifosiphil wrote:
I would say you will get a lot more dramatic saving from your position on the narrower bars that the bars themselves.

An aero bar only saves around 4W from a round handlebar (based on 42cm, Cervelo), you save around 0.5W per 10mm decrease in width of bars (at 32kph, Aerocoach).

But at the same time a dip in bar height of 2cm can save around 5%, I've heard rumours of narrower positions saving some riders up to 30W
Yep, I do concur - but 4W ain't too bad either. But that's with full-on, full-wing bar, I guess? The bar height savings is quite interesting, as Gerard Vroomen was a very active proponent of higher bar heights in general (just like me), as it is not the bar height per se that makes the savings but the position (and sitting in, not on, the drops and bending one's elbows seems to be a long-lost art).

I have a 36cm aero handlebar (with clamp space for clipons and the like) on the go-fast bike hanging in hibernation behind my desk and the wing section is tiny and rather cute. :D

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Singular wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Tifosiphil wrote:
Aero is negligible but the main benefit for me is still there. I only want the flat part to be wider than my fore arms for comfort.
There is still enough space to rest fore arms on. Our fore arms aren't that wide.
Even riding with hands on top is more comfortable. Resting hands on broad flat surface rather than on a curved surface that put point load into my palm sure is nicer.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Singular wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:10 pm
Tifosiphil wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:58 pm
Singular wrote:
pmprego wrote:

Yep, I do concur - but 4W ain't too bad either. But that's with full-on, full-wing bar, I guess? The bar height savings is quite interesting, as Gerard Vroomen was a very active proponent of higher bar heights in general (just like me), as it is not the bar height per se that makes the savings but the position (and sitting in, not on, the drops and bending one's elbows seems to be a long-lost art).

I have a 36cm aero handlebar (with clamp space for clipons and the like) on the go-fast bike hanging in hibernation behind my desk and the wing section is tiny and rather cute. :D
Agreed, I think these measurements are done with parallel arms on the tops which is widely regarded as the fastest (attainable) position currently

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Great to hear Hexsense.

And ya, Tifo is absolutely right that the savings from dialing position often always trump the savings from the bars themselves and I'm glad many are starting to recognize this over simply min/max-ing raw watts via equipment without considering how you will ride it.

That said, anyone re-vamping their cockpit might as well take the opportunity to optimize everything. Including the harder to quantify stuff like comfort which translates into sustaining the position. Luckily, comfort & raw savings isn't always mutually exclusive.

Lacerate

by Lacerate

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 am
maxim809 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:36 pm
Another thing you can try is to lower the shifters down to the bar's limits. Sometimes this can create a groove between the shifter hoods and the bars which makes for a nice cup for your hands to sit in the breakaway position. This also stretches out the total effective reach by a few mm's since the upper tip of your shifters become part of the grippable real estate in that position you are after.
Finally, I replaced my Aerofly II. But I didn't go with Bontrager bar I originally interested.
I chose Prime Primavera Aero handlebar in 36cm size.
On paper, the reach is 75cm, barely any longer than Aerofly II 38cm. But the actual shifter clamp area of drop hook is slightly further forward.
I also use your trick to mount the shifters lower than my usual position. I end up gaining about 15mm of extra space for my forearm.

Since 36cm bar is narrower than my shoulder, instead of lengthen the stem reach as I go down in bar size, I actually want to reduce the stem reach. When using hood, instead of arm extending forward only, it now have to bend in as well by a tiny amount. That was taken care off by raising the bar by a few mm.

This few mm taller bar with just a bit more space to rest my forearm makes me more happy with the aero hood position now.
I've been looking at bars with similar requirements, but perferably alloy (due to price). I would also like some flare and outsweep.

There have been conflicting from product page (none) and online reviews, but might just be the change during their update of the bars from version 1 to version 2. Is there any flare on these Prime Primavera bars? Thanks!

cjm

by cjm

Singular wrote:

Which bars are these? The Prime Primavera bars seem to be one of the few aerobars that list having space for clipons.

The V2 Prime Primavera bars don't have a flare.

Singular

by Singular

cjm wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:12 pm
Singular wrote:

Which bars are these? The Prime Primavera bars seem to be one of the few aerobars that list having space for clipons.

The V2 Prime Primavera bars don't have a flare.
I use the Profile Design DRV AEROa.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I just bought a FSA k wing AGX bars.

They are described as a gravel, but future a nice flattish/oval section on top and have a nice not too much of a flare.

A 40 cm bar is 45 at the drops. Also a very gentle rise of about 10mm around the stem and very unusual flattish sections on the sides toward hoods...

And also today I stumbled on this article from Slowtwich, which you know is all about aero...

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Gravel/FSA_K ... _7784.html

They also come in aluminum version.

Carbon is light around 200h for 40 cm version

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I just bought a FSA k wing AGX bars.

They are described as a gravel, but future a nice flattish/oval section on top and have a nice not too much of a flare.

A 40 cm bar is 45 at the drops. Also a very gentle rise of about 10mm around the stem and very unusual flattish sections on the sides toward hoods...

And also today I stumbled on this article from Slowtwich, which you know is all about aero...

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Gravel/FSA_K ... _7784.html

They also come in aluminum version.

Carbon is light around 200h for 40 cm version

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com