Handlebar suitable for aero hood position.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

xav wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 am
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:46 am
So, it's a long reach bar. But doesn't provide the benefit that people who like long reach bar are looking for.
No forearm support that extend more rearward behind the hood.
You're not allowed a specific forearm support section on a set of drop bars, that is UCI illegal
No, I don't mean a very deliberate forearm support shape.
But
1)
Why can't it just match the existing hood to bar top distance of UCI legal Bontrager XXX aero road bar which has 93mm bar reach with big extension behind the hood and none at the stem clamp.
If that bar is UCI legal since 2016. I don't see a reason your bar can't. The real estate of having bar top far behind the hood is really useful for aero top position.
2) Without that hood to bar top distance, what is the benefit of stem extension part anyway? The bar function like a short reach bar with part of stem length move to the bar at the clamp area.

xav

by xav

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:08 pm
No, I don't mean a very deliberate forearm support shape.
But
1)
Why can't it just match the existing hood to bar top distance of UCI legal Bontrager XXX aero road bar which has 93mm bar reach with big extension behind the hood and none at the stem clamp.
If that bar is UCI legal since 2016. I don't see a reason your bar can't. The real estate of having bar top far behind the hood is really useful for aero top position.
2) Without that hood to bar top distance, what is the benefit of stem extension part anyway? The bar function like a short reach bar with part of stem length move to the bar at the clamp area.
Thanks for the comments and questions - the reason we have the swept forward tops is to allow for much better wrist clearance when sprinting. Although on the Ornix bar it looks like you can't rest your wrist/forearm, because of the slight inward flare of the hoods and the way the tops are positioned, in the breakaway position your forearms end up closer together than you might imagine, so you get to touch the whole of the tops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rhs2z

by rhs2z

Right now, I use the 35cm-flare-to-40cm ENVE SES bars. But I’m looking to go even more narrow while respecting the new UCI regs.

Right now, the ornix is the leading contender. In addition to being narrower, ie has extra reach over the ENVE, which I think will work great.

But out of curiosity: what are the narrowest bars available that still meet the UCI regs? (Ie, 35cm across drops)
I was interested in some 33cm Worx track bars, but now that is too narrow.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

rhs2z wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:04 am
Right now, I use the 35cm-flare-to-40cm ENVE SES bars. But I’m looking to go even more narrow while respecting the new UCI regs.

Right now, the ornix is the leading contender. In addition to being narrower, ie has extra reach over the ENVE, which I think will work great.

But out of curiosity: what are the narrowest bars available that still meet the UCI regs? (Ie, 35cm across drops)
I was interested in some 33cm Worx track bars, but now that is too narrow.

Thanks for any suggestions!
The Worx bars should still be legal, as 33cm centre-to-centre should measure very slightly wider than 35cm outside-to-outside since the tube diameter is usually 22mm.

I have a pair of 32cm Fouriers Nanko-T handlebars which flare to 33cm C-C in the drops, and they measure 352mm O-O in the drops without bartape. Pretty short reach at 75mm, though, so probably not the best for forearm support in a bent-elbows-hoods position.

rhs2z

by rhs2z

Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:42 pm
The Worx bars should still be legal, as 33cm centre-to-centre should measure very slightly wider than 35cm outside-to-outside since the tube diameter is usually 22mm.

I have a pair of 32cm Fouriers Nanko-T handlebars which flare to 33cm C-C in the drops, and they measure 352mm O-O in the drops without bartape. Pretty short reach at 75mm, though, so probably not the best for forearm support in a bent-elbows-hoods position.
Ah, nice point, thanks! I didn’t realize the UCI refs was outside to outside.
I’ll check out nanko T bars as well