Hambini BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darrydonds

by darrydonds

synchronicity wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:52 am
WizzyBob wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm
First off I don't want this topic to turn into a hambini bashing, I've read previous threads which either ended up going way off point or simply closed.
It doesn't work that way. :wink: I never got what all this "hambini" fuss was about (haven't been around here for a few years). And then I happened to stumble on his youtube channel recently while I was searching for biking-related channels.😬 Strange business model he's got. From what little I saw, attacking and insulting other people in the bike industry left, right and centre. What he has to say and how he says it is not even remotely "funny". I see he's also quick to pull the race card at each and every opportunity. I can't understand why even one cyclist has subscribed to his channel, let alone tens of thousands. Sad.

https://ridewriterepeat.com/2020/07/07/ ... -industry/
https://road.cc/content/news/shockjock- ... -it-272869
Stumbled on his videos in a similar way. Watched a bunch of them and then made up my mind. (I agree: it's not remotely funny.)

I think his business model is blowing a problem out of proportions (with insults, using over-the-top critique, etc). (You gotta try to convince people the problem is industry-wide and that you're being fleeced big time, for people to consider buying your expensive BBs.) In this day and age, it gives you views and attention. Furthermore, it's the "little guys versus the establishment" kinda rhetoric. That somehow gives you more credibility. It's not very different from some of the fringe scientists and "experts" or the social-media celebs with their revolt against social justice and political-correctness. Anti-establishment has become good business.

(By the way, I'm not saying his products are not worth it or bad, or judging anyone who buys them.)

MaxPower

by MaxPower

correct my if i´m wrong - but i never got the feeling that he is pushing his product in the videos - expect of "self-praising is excellency" for making a workable work-around for the current problem he is trying to fix for a customer. (point is - self-praising is another "todays" thing in my book that is all to present)

He proclaims his solution is "Better" than other BB solutions, but in my opinion he makes a point of the design drawbacks of his own design. Buy what you want, its your money.

In my opinion, if people could be generally more open, stop calling names and generally would be less busy with disagreeing/attacking/harassing others, the world would be a much nicer place to be. is statement is true for all ages, from 5-90 no matter who you are. oh - and stop cheating other people. Badly made/designed premium products are no excuse (as all to often seen in the bike industry - as in other industries, it sadly is all about market perception - not the real quality of a product)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Hambini's BBs are overpriced. His recent release of a BSA BB proved it. You can buy perfectly fine BSA BBs from Hope and Shimano amongst many others for a fraction of the money, so he's just released a solution for a non existent problem IMO. His solutions for BB30 and other industry failures are probably worth the money compared with the stock options though, but why buy a frame like a Cannondale Supersix that has a horrible BB and a micro-axe built into the headtube/fork interface?.

Luechner's 'less than ideal design' cuts far deeper than Hambini's childish 'roastings'.

HenryH

by HenryH

Overpriced, but also worth the money?

I find it fascinating how many can be that upset by the way he talks. Who cares? I think his explanations on BB-standards etc. are superb. Can only wonder why the "main stream" cycling media do not offer similar kind of videos? And I would love it if someone "hating" on Hambini would respond to him with other views on some of the claims he makes. We might have a good discussion going.

Sorry I can't offer any advice to the OP. Hope it gets sorted.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

I often got told by my parents that it isn't what you say, it is how you say it. Hambini seems to have missed that.

I do feel like he knows his stuff and his explanations are in detail but the way it is produced and shown doesn't work for me. Putting aside the things he has done in his personal time also don't show him in a great light but unfortunately this seems to be the way that a lot of people find fame currently

tomato

by tomato

HenryH wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 pm
And I would love it if someone "hating" on Hambini would respond to him with other views on some of the claims he makes. We might have a good discussion going.
I think there's plenty of evidence that "he who shall not be named" is either incapable of, or uninterested in, having a civil discussion on a public forum.

kode54

by kode54

There are issues with people that are clever in their own industry...and not have social skills (think Elon Musk). I don't think he has a business model, just likes what he does. You buy it or not philosophy seems to work for him. Personally, I actually like his BBs...and have gone through several different brands and bearings. Regardless of his YT rants, I've learned alot on BB and managed to keep my issues to a minimum (whether I used his own BB or not). Now, my BBs are the least problematic where before...the most problematic.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

HenryH

by HenryH

tomato wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:00 pm
HenryH wrote:
And I would love it if someone "hating" on Hambini would respond to him with other views on some of the claims he makes. We might have a good discussion going.
I think there's plenty of evidence that "he who shall not be named" is either incapable of, or uninterested in, having a civil discussion on a public forum.
He seems to interact well with intelligent people from what I have seen.

I mean just look at some of the jugdemental comments in this thread. Quite baffling.

And I don´t really care much about what others think of Hambini. It would be a shame if he stopped making videos though. At least in between his humour (which obviously people might like or not - personally I don´t care - I´m not watching those videos to be entertained in that way) he often provides some seriously good insight. Even if "you" do not like Hambini and his style I do find it interesting that so many still continue to "defend" brands and how they operate. Luescher and others more "diplomatic" youtubers are showing exactly the same things - how the big brands are clearly speculating in making c### just because it is easier for them to accept returns on x% of bikes rather than trying to make them a bit better in the first place (obviously you will never be able to produce 100% perfectly).

Anyway. I feel bad for doing what the OP didn´t want us to do. I will stop posting about Hambini in this thread.

RDY

by RDY

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:20 pm
Hambini's BBs are overpriced. His recent release of a BSA BB proved it. You can buy perfectly fine BSA BBs from Hope and Shimano amongst many others for a fraction of the money, so he's just released a solution for a non existent problem IMO. His solutions for BB30 and other industry failures are probably worth the money compared with the stock options though, but why buy a frame like a Cannondale Supersix that has a horrible BB and a micro-axe built into the headtube/fork interface?.

Luechner's 'less than ideal design' cuts far deeper than Hambini's childish 'roastings'.
His stuff is far less overpriced than practically everything else above the €80 point. The cost of machining those one pieces BBs is massively more than all the others out there. Campag & Shimano BBs are pretty keenly priced, but totally different end of the market.

Also, he's not making stuff up when he says world tour teams use them. They do - some who have sponsors for said part, too. They do that for a reason. Stiffness and low drag.

But they are of course overkill for 99% of people, as both Hambini and PT in his review observed.

tomato

by tomato

HenryH wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 pm
tomato wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:00 pm
HenryH wrote:
He seems to interact well with intelligent people from what I have seen.
I'd say he interacts well with people that don't disagree with him.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Tifosiphil wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:54 pm
I often got told by my parents that it isn't what you say, it is how you say it. Hambini seems to have missed that.
The "how" only applies if this isn't a "comedy/humor" show. It's quite obviously humor for a very niche group of people, i.e. people like me. He obviously talks very differently if it's serious business.

This is similar to going to a Jerry Sadowitz Show and saying "omg it's HOW you say it bruh that matters".

tomato

by tomato

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:55 am
He obviously talks very differently if it's serious business.
What evidence is there to support that?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

tomato wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 am
MagicShite wrote:
based on private exchanges? He didn't curse and all that when doing standard customer service.

If you view his earlier videos (and particularly his GCN Video), that's fairly polite no?

The later videos are quite obviously played up for humor.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

tomato wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 am
MagicShite wrote:
Support inquiry on multiple occasions throughout 3 years...

To the OP: sorry, should have said this from the beginning: contact him directly through his web page. You have his product and need his support. I would surprise me dearly if he would respond unprofessional on your inquiry

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Remember that seinfeld episode "soup nazi"? Kind of resembles the situation a bit. :D

I don't mind the hassle is the product is good! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com