Hambini BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

First off I don't want this topic to turn into a hambini bashing, I've read previous threads which either ended up going way off point or simply closed.

Has anybody had any issues with his bb sliding out the frame? Initially mine was installed with grease, after the first ride I couldn't shift into the big ring which is where we noticed the bb had moved out of the frame by a few mm.
It was reinstalled with some threadlock, until now it seemed to be fixed in place, but it rained heavy today and towards the end of the ride it again moved out of the frame causing shifting issues.

Since having my new bike I have been plagued with crank issues, a brand new rotor crankset kept working loose, which we assumed was a fault with that, I've bought new cranks since and after the first ride there was a slight loosening of the new cranks.
I'm beginning to believe the cause of all my problems was this bb just not fitting tight enough in the frame.

If was fitted in a factor 02 vam, has anybody else any experience they could share?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If the frame is out of spec then this could happen with most bb's.

Do you mean threadlocker as in threadlocker or retaining compound?

Loctite 641 609 638 are used as retaining compounds, the first being the least permanent and the last being very strong. (depending on how bad a fit you have)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

To be honest I don't know exactly which was used, I'm going to check with the bike shop tomorrow and see what they say.

My first thoughts were to just sell this bb on and buy something else like a cbear

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The Factor O2 VAM has a very minimalist bb shell. There is very little material to interface with the bb cups. I recommend a thread together solution such as Wheels Mfg. I tried everything and a bb consisting of two separate cups would not stay secure. The thread together unit is doing perfect so far. A few grams heavier though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Maddie

by Maddie

I would keep the Hambini BB. I have two of them and very happy with it. Don't use grease or threadlocker. Retaining compound like Alcatraz mentioned is what Hambini recommends. In your case, I would try either 641 or 609. 638 only if the problem is still there, which I doubt. 638 is ultra strong and can damage your frame.

QuackMD

by QuackMD

I would just add to the last post if you use the 638 compound with the activator, it brings its maximum strength down to 25% which is just a hair over the maximum strength of the 641 compound, according to the documentation.

Bogan

by Bogan

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:32 pm
The Factor O2 VAM has a very minimalist bb shell. There is very little material to interface with the bb cups. I recommend a thread together solution such as Wheels Mfg. I tried everything and a bb consisting of two separate cups would not stay secure. The thread together unit is doing perfect so far. A few grams heavier though.
This. I also use Wheels mfg thread together BB's. They never move. I have a TCR where the BB shell has worn over the years. Pressfit would not work. The Wheels mfg solution has been bulletproof.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Bogan

by Bogan

duplicate
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

tomato

by tomato

Did you try the bottom bracket that came with the frame?

jlok

by jlok

First, measure the BB size.
2nd, why the crank / BB would slide out if the preload is properly applied and pushing the bearings both sides?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MattMay

by MattMay

Curious what crank OP is using. I bought and am waiting delivery of an O2 VAM. I’m wanting to use my Easton ex80sl 30mm crankset. I emailed Hambini and he told me he doesn’t make a bb that would work because the Factor bb shell is not a true 79mm oibbright. Ended up going with BBinfinite which has a bb developed specifically for the Factor O2 VAM. Still waiting on the frame, but having a Bbinfinite bb in my Trek Supercaliber (DUB bb92) I’m looking forward to installing one in the new frame.

I can’t imagine why anyone would use grease for a one piece bb. Both Hambini and Bbinfinite clearly direct just the opposite.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

WizzyBob wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm
First off I don't want this topic to turn into a hambini bashing, I've read previous threads which either ended up going way off point or simply closed.
It doesn't work that way. :wink: I never got what all this "hambini" fuss was about (haven't been around here for a few years). And then I happened to stumble on his youtube channel recently while I was searching for biking-related channels.😬 Strange business model he's got. From what little I saw, attacking and insulting other people in the bike industry left, right and centre. What he has to say and how he says it is not even remotely "funny". I see he's also quick to pull the race card at each and every opportunity. I can't understand why even one cyclist has subscribed to his channel, let alone tens of thousands. Sad.

https://ridewriterepeat.com/2020/07/07/ ... -industry/
https://road.cc/content/news/shockjock- ... -it-272869
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

As other have said - Hambini BB user here.

Retaining compound is needed - no grease. as you have used grease initially - cleaning before retaining compound use is paramount, even for compound types that are okay with grease residue.

I´m also in the camp of - if you can´t make it work, use a thread together as a solution. they have problems of their own. But it seems that you frame is out of spec or as other said - there is too little material for the BB shell to get a sufficient fit/retaining area.

asked the man himself before my first install about compound - he recommends nothing stronger than 641 as people have pulled parts of the carbon shell out at removal.

In my own experiency on two BB86 frames (bianchi) with full carbon shells is that the fitting was very tight in both frames. had to remove one hambini BB from one of the frames do to warranty claim and was very glad i did not use anything stronger than 641 - it was a beast to remove... a beast... (fun thing, the warranty claim was denied, so i got the frame back and installed the same BB again - it was as almost more tight to get in the second time than the first but maybe that is due to loctite residue from the first install)

I hold the BB´s he is making in high regards. they are beautifully made and work just so nicely.
You may not like him as a person (besides his youtube presents he is usper helpful/supportive).

kode54

by kode54

Hambini's personality on YouTube is his marketing gimmick. He's actually a nice guy. Others will beg to differ, but I have several BB from him and all has worked flawlessly. As MaxPower says, retaining compound is required. I installed it this way and had issues...but more my fault as I didn't prep the surface with the Loctite primer or prep. Once I properly prepped the shell, which BTW is very thin and fragile as Mr.Gib said...it has stayed put since then. Also, his response and any questions about his BBs is immediate and precise.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RDY

by RDY

I really dislike his refusal to drop the MAB bone, even if I don't like her or her conduct. The rest of the cycling industry that he tends to take aim at are fair game and deserving generally, IMO.

But leaving aside his YT personality, he provides absolutely excellent service re: bearings & BBs, and is about as responsive as they come. He really couldn't be any better, in my limited experience.

Anyway, it sounds like OP has some major BB shell issues. I suspect retaining compound won't be enough. Maybe a thread together will work ... maybe not. If the BB is effectively falling out (or previously the Rotor setup), it likely means it is VERY slack. Should be warrantied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com