Hambini BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MaxPower

by MaxPower

jlok wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:47 am
I think carbon resin would swell when grease is applied? That would surely affect the carbon frame?
Never heard of that. Source? (always try to learn)

jlok

by jlok

MaxPower wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:31 am
jlok wrote:
I think carbon resin would swell when grease is applied? That would surely affect the carbon frame?
Have you heard about stuck carbon seat post due to grease applied (not carbon paste)? I did that and took the mechanics 1hr to get the post out. Hard lesson learned.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Properly cured, carbon doesn't swell and certainly not because of grease. Otherwise you'd have a hard time with thru axles and bearings etc. too. If parts get stuck it's mostly because of galvanic corrosion (aluminium/carbon) or clearcoat on carbon parts that turned into some kind of adhesive.

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

MaxPower wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am
Wheels Mfg bb comes normally with Enduro bearings, right? The ones i had through time were 24x7 bearings - these are not industry standard size.
I don't thing ntn makes these bearing sizes. If standard 25mm id ntn bearings are used (can't remember the digit code) you need a reducer spacer to get from 25 id to your 24mm axle size.

Hard to find, belive me (tried the same thin a couple of years ago). Hambini makes the tophat reducers (pricy), but they are not designed for use with other bb than his own, so your results in regards to bearing protection may me bad.

Another thing if you go with wheels mfg - the thread part was good in my case, but the inner bearing relive step (or what it is called) was badly machined - so the shell ended up pressing against the inner bearing shield at two spots, destroying bearings very very fast. Both sides. Sample size: one bb.

But you might want to check it before use (bearings nees tonbe removed to check this)
Yes Enduro bearings, I'm using a 30mm axle so 6806 bearings have been used, they put NSK ones in.
I had it fitted yesterday so I'm just going to have to see how I get on with it over time.

So just to clear up, my bike was built at one place, but since then everything else I've had done, including the refitting of the bb has been at a different workshop, these guys are very competent and experienced, I should have gone there in the first place.

Hambini was correct in what he told me, I just missed it on the link he provided - Fig. 2 – Factor’s ‘BBcorrect’ configuration, found on the ONE, O2-Gen 2, O2 VAM, LS, ViSTA and SLiCK
He's been very helpful and quick to respond to my e-mails

Disappointed I can't use his bb, as I bought it for the increased stifness, but hopefully I have a functional bike now which is obviously the most important thing

MaxPower

by MaxPower

jlok wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 am
MaxPower wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:31 am
jlok wrote:
Have you heard about stuck carbon seat post due to grease applied (not carbon paste)? I did that and took the mechanics 1hr to get the post out. Hard lesson learned.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
thanks, but only for carbon/alu reaction. not carbon-carbon corrosion.

AJS914

by AJS914

Carbon swelling when grease applied is BS (sorry Sheldon Brown). Before carbon friction paste was a thing, we used to grease carbon fiber seatposts put into steel/ti frames. I never had a seatpost swell.

kode54

by kode54

PLEASEpleasePlease wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 am
WizzyBob wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm
First off I don't want this topic to turn into a hambini bashing, I've read previous threads which either ended up going way off point or simply closed.

Has anybody had any issues with his bb sliding out the frame? Initially mine was installed with grease, after the first ride I couldn't shift into the big ring which is where we noticed the bb had moved out of the frame by a few mm.
It was reinstalled with some threadlock, until now it seemed to be fixed in place, but it rained heavy today and towards the end of the ride it again moved out of the frame causing shifting issues.

Since having my new bike I have been plagued with crank issues, a brand new rotor crankset kept working loose, which we assumed was a fault with that, I've bought new cranks since and after the first ride there was a slight loosening of the new cranks.
I'm beginning to believe the cause of all my problems was this bb just not fitting tight enough in the frame.

If was fitted in a factor 02 vam, has anybody else any experience they could share?
Wait! What? Why did your bike shop use grease to install the Hambini one piece BB? This is quite literally the opposite of whats recommended by Hambini. You need to completely clean the shell, then use Loctite activator 7649 followed by Loctite retaining compound 641 (medium) and let sit no less then 48hrs. Did your bike shop figured this was correct? yikes!
Yes. I installed mine and rode it after 24 hours. Came loose...so I did it again and waited 48 hours and hasn't come loose yet after thousands of miles.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

This is what is actually happening, not carbon swelling.
https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galvanic ... ers/2/1556

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Petroleum grease will cause rubber to swell, hence why you should never ever use it to lube a cars brake system and sliding pins.

jlok

by jlok

Fisherfreerider wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:54 pm
Thanks. My case of stuck seatpost was probably due to sweat on carbon-alu interface as my frame used alu insert.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Contact Hambini via e-mail. My experience is that he is very quick, helpful and friendly, also if your frame falls way out of spec to use his product. He'll likely have some tips and/or go the extra mile to get you a personalized product that works (everyone pays a bit too much, just so he also can take on specific/tailor made cases).

His channel is just for entertainment purposes. Anyone who doesn't get that, doesn't get that.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Fisherfreerider wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:54 pm
:beerchug:

AJS914

by AJS914

The point was that the grease doesn't cause either issue. Grease is an insulator so it should be protective with an aluminum seatpost. Of course, these days, there is no reason not to use a carbon seatpost and carbon friction paste.

jlok

by jlok

yea, the incorrect point being "carbon resin swollen after grease application".

st3rius

by st3rius

Sorry to go off tangent - does anyone have a Token BB tool bb841t-5sp in London?

I need to service my BB but the tool is sold out everywhere and my LBS doesn't have one.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com