Loud click when front brake applied

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:39 am

This is a rotor issue.. The two piece construction of campagnolo afs rotors can have a little bit of play and clicks when braking..those 6 pins doesn't have the best tolerance.

I've have two pairs.. One did this.. One didn't. Never developed further. Just monitor it if it gets worse..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Disproportionate expansion/deformation between the carrier and steel rotor still makes an unmistakably metallic sound. He said it sounds like carbon creaking, so I still think it's headset preload unless his description is wrong.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I had another look this morning and can confirm it's the pads moving backwards within the caliper which causes the loud click. How do I know this?

1. When I hold the bike by the bars and walk it forward for a few meters and then apply the front brake I hear a *click*

2. If I do it again straight away no click

3. If I apply the front brake a move the bike backwards (to move the pads to their original position), then repeat step 1 I hear a *click* again

4. I can move the pads in the front caliper with my fingers with the bike stationary, I hear a *click*

5. If I do the same with the rear caliper the pads still move, but no click

There must be something in the front caliper that causes the *click*, as the rear is fine.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:06 pm
I had another look this morning and can confirm it's the pads moving backwards within the caliper which causes the loud click. How do I know this?

1. When I hold the bike by the bars and walk it forward for a few meters and then apply the front brake I hear a *click*

2. If I do it again straight away no click

3. If I apply the front brake a move the bike backwards (to move the pads to their original position), then repeat step 1 I hear a *click* again

4. I can move the pads in the front caliper with my fingers with the bike stationary, I hear a *click*

5. If I do the same with the rear caliper the pads still move, but no click

There must be something in the front caliper that causes the *click*, as the rear is fine.

I know, it's not complicated is it 😀