Shigura (Shimano road lever & Magura disc caliper)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mathias720

by mathias720

any updates from users. i am really thinking of trying this on my DA 11-speed

dslaw

by dslaw

I've had this installed since February (Bike is on the trainer - I'm in Camada)
No leaks
Can provide more feedback from outdoor rides here in the next month

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xabi

by Xabi

Is BH59 hose safe? I could replace front hose to whatever is needed but rear hose goes through a hambini bottom bracket I'm not willing to reinstall it unless is extremely necessary.

dslaw

by dslaw

I used Magura hoses - they're a different diameter than shimano hoses. All accounts I've read was to use the Magura hoses so I stuck with that - your mileage may vary going the shimano route.

ms6073

by ms6073

Xabi wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:18 pm
Is BH59 hose safe? I could replace front hose to whatever is needed but rear hose goes through a hambini bottom bracket I'm not willing to reinstall it unless is extremely necessary.
BH90 is the current spec for most things Shimano but won't make much difference. Curious why you couldn't use an internal routing kit tool to pull a new hose through the frame? I was able to do this with my Colnago with a BBInfinite bottom bracket but ended up having to press it out anyway when I tugged just a tad too hard on a Di2 cable. :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Xabi

by Xabi

BH59 with ultegra r8000 levers and non series Shimano flat mount calipers that shouldn't be compatible for around 40k km without any issues other than the infamous wandering bite point and lazy pistons, especially at the back. When pads rub touching the levers repeatedly without braking stops the rubbing. This also happened with the oem levers.

Hambini bottom bracket has been a nice way not to go for an unneeded 12 speed upgrade. It needs to be removed to replace the di2 battery.

I don't feel confortable with dealing around the bottom bracket area, bike shop didn't enjoy the installation of the BB.

Luckily if things go wrong rear brake is the "safe" brake to fail.

pipii

by pipii

Mine with magura hoses and 9270 levers, but i have read about bh90 barb may result in possible leakage.
sworks sl8 rtp 56 5.77kg
factor ostro vam 56 6.15kg
specialized allez sprint 2023 7.13kg

retired:
Lapierre aircode 2017
specialized sl7 56 6.75kg

TeaBasedOrganism

by TeaBasedOrganism

Looking at Shigura for a next build, as I'll be going with Ultegra R8170 and everyone I know running it has had no end of trouble with the brakes. Just trying to check I've got my understanding correct for fittings. As far as I can tell Magura everything seems to be recommended, using the Shimano nut to fix the lever to the shifter?

mathias720

by mathias720

TeaBasedOrganism wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:14 am
Looking at Shigura for a next build, as I'll be going with Ultegra R8170 and everyone I know running it has had no end of trouble with the brakes. Just trying to check I've got my understanding correct for fittings. As far as I can tell Magura everything seems to be recommended, using the Shimano nut to fix the lever to the shifter?
i used shimano olive and magura barb, magura hose, shimano nut.
havent had a leak, and they work like a charm.

pushpush

by pushpush

I'm fed up with brake rub on my DuraAce 9170. I can adjust out the problem, but invariably it returns as soon as I heat up the brakes.

What is the current preference? Swap for 9270 calipers, or jump to MT8?

QuackMD

by QuackMD

pushpush wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:31 pm
I'm fed up with brake rub on my DuraAce 9170. I can adjust out the problem, but invariably it returns as soon as I heat up the brakes.

What is the current preference? Swap for 9270 calipers, or jump to MT8?
Haven't ridden the new ultegra or dura ace groupsets but my recommendation would be to replace the rotors with some solid steel ones as opposed to the sandwiched aluminium that shimano uses. I changed my ultegra rotors for a pair of trickstuff dachle UL and I haven't had any rotor rub since.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

In my experience, brake rubs that return after an adjustment is most likely due to a brake mount facing issue. No matter how tight you torque the mounting bolts, the caliper will want to return back to the state of least resistance. The permanent solution here is to properly re-face the caliper mounting surfaces. With that being said, the new 9200 or 8100 calipers do offer increased clearance, one that may offset the facing imperfections. YMMV.

pushpush

by pushpush

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:21 pm
In my experience, brake rubs that return after an adjustment is most likely due to a brake mount facing issue. No matter how tight you torque the mounting bolts, the caliper will want to return back to the state of least resistance. The permanent solution here is to properly re-face the caliper mounting surfaces. With that being said, the new 9200 or 8100 calipers do offer increased clearance, one that may offset the facing imperfections. YMMV.
This is my experience too. Apparently, the $500 tool is the only bike-specific tool that I don't have so it hasn't gotten done. :) I hate shops but maybe it is time to suck it up and get this over with.

My question remains, are people still making the leap to the Magura calipers or are more people satisfied with the minorly improved 9270s?

pamoreira

by pamoreira

pushpush wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:24 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:21 pm
This is my experience too. Apparently, the $500 tool is the only bike-specific tool that I don't have so it hasn't gotten done. :) I hate shops but maybe it is time to suck it up and get this over with.

My question remains, are people still making the leap to the Magura calipers or are more people satisfied with the minorly improved 9270s?
To me, move from 11-speed (8070) to 12-speed (9270) calipers made all the difference.

I am now on full 12-speed drivetrain, but swapped calipers while still running everything else 11-speed and that solved the rubbing.

So I can say that the minor update on the calipers made a major difference for me :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okx

by okx

TeaBasedOrganism wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:14 am
I'm using this combo with galfer rotors and galfer green pads almost for 2 years - zero issues.
Shimano olive and magura hose.