The B E S T Computer Mount

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

I had a similar stem mount as OP with Edge 830 and Varia front light attached. After a few months of use it snapped near the stem, and my computer and light went tumbling down the road. Thankfully there was no significant damage to computer or light, but I am back using a Garmin out front mount with quick-release twist-off GoPro mount.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

This is a great thread. As others have mentioned there are cheaper mounts, lighter mounts, better looking mounts, etc. out there.

I like my carbonworks master mount. It's not that light at 31g, it's horribly expensive but it looks amazing. Different strokes for different folks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:06 am
Doesn't work for wahoo.
Heavy
The pivots aren't tensioned so if you push the unit it will tilt unless you support it when pushing buttons.
Go pro mount isn't detachable
Looks too bulky
I have a Wahoo mount on mine
It is sorta heavy though
I rest my chin on it when descending sometimes
True, theres a version without it (which I have), but you have to choose that when you buy
Its not bulky at all actually
Hexsense wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:01 am
-There are many universal bolt width carbon fiber mount from China, they weight less and cost less ( Example) . But they aren't angle adjustable. So, if your stem have suitable bolt angle, it's better than this thing.
-If you know bolt pitch of your stem, you can order Raceware mount which is stiffer and weight less. You can also ask them to alter the angle before print it. But each unit only fit a specific bolt pitch.

So, what left for this mount to be the best option:
1) you don't care much about weight
2) you need angle adjustability
3) you plan to reuse this same mount on more than one stem type

There, if all of these 3 conditions fit you, it's (one of) the best option.
The universal bolt ones are ridiculously ugly with the slots like that IMO and also not angle adjustable. Most people aren't running -17 stems so your computer would point up, but I guess people don't really care about that?

True, but with this you don't have to worry about that.

Pretty accurate summary though.
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:42 am
And like Hexsense said, it has a few cool features if you need them, but hardly near the best mount out there, and not even the cheapest or lightest.
Well to be fair, there is nowhere that I mentioned it was the cheapest or lightest, it's a very adaptable jack of all trades, ableit a master of none, which makes it an easy option to recommend except for the average WWer I guess.
tjvirden wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:03 pm
Apart from......not being universal, solid, cheap, or easy to install.
Have you really not used any other sorts of computer mount? Or ridden much on bad pavement?
It's compatible 99% of all stems on the market, so I guess you can whine about being the 1% if you want.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that no WW member ridden a rougher trail with a drop bar bike than I have, and it didnt budge an millimeter with this thing on the front of my gravel bike. I did that trail 4 times. For reference, RyanH did the trail on a FS downcountry bike and went OTB in the first quarter of the trail, I also passed a dude on a current gen Specialized Enduro on one of the runs, it also made me break my Lupina like 3 times.

Its cheaper than an F3, Rec, or Alpitude. The cheapo Chinese mounts are cheaper but also are ugly and feel cheap.

It's pretty easy, maybe two minutes to swap between bikes if need be.
Last edited by dudemanppl on Thu May 27, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Fixed angle mount angle totally depend on stem bolt angle, in addition to the stem angle itself.
I have some -12 degree stem that has bolt angled. Meaning upper bolts point more up and lower bolts point more down. It end up making non-adjustable computer mount on lower stem bolts point down to the ground. Meanwhile -7 degree stem with that same feature make the computer mount almost level.

Wahoo said Elemnt Bolt is aero optimized for both 0 degree angle, and 6 degree point up, which is a popularly good angle for screen clarity from normal position. So, 0 to 10 degree tile isn't a big deal for most people. In fact, 6 degree tilt up maybe preferred over 0.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/05/wah ... sting.html
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Ah true, the Kalloy stems are like that. I guess to take advantage of the customizability of the Raceware mounts you'd have to measure the actual inclination of the bolts which sounds like a bitch. Just more reasons why I think this thing is fire. I used it on a second gen Pro Vibe stem, the generic fixed angle mounts would not have had a good time at all.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

dudemanppl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:10 pm

Well to be fair, there is nowhere that I mentioned it was the cheapest or lightest

This you?
dudemanppl wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:36 pm

Everything else is either uglier, heavier, more expensive
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:27 pm
dudemanppl wrote:
Well to be fair, there is nowhere that I mentioned it was the cheapest or lightest
This you?
dudemanppl wrote:
Everything else is either uglier, heavier, more expensive, has less features, or is incompatible with other stems.
Yeah it is. Let me spell it out more concisely.

Computer mounts that are not the Fouriers HA-S022-4CA-N2 are uglier or are heavier or are more expensive or have less features or are not compatible with other stems.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

dudemanppl wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:37 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:27 pm
dudemanppl wrote:
This you?
dudemanppl wrote:
Everything else is either uglier, heavier, more expensive, has less features, or is incompatible with other stems.
Yeah it is. Let me spell it out more concisely.

Computer mounts that are not the Fouriers HA-S022-4CA-N2 are uglier or are heavier or are more expensive or have less features or are not compatible with other stems.
You're trolling us right? This isn't serious is it? I'll give you that ugly/good looking is subjective. But this thread literally has at least 5 different mounts that are lighter and cheaper.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I'm sorry you don't understand how the word "or" works. English isn't even my first languange :(

welchy

by welchy

Just going to sit here and watch this play out with ma popcorn

usr

by usr

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:31 am
And the swivel to change the angle just adds another point of failure.
A point of failure in regular use, but also preventation of failure in an overload situation. I'm not exactly attracted by the idea that stem bolts might be the weakest link.

mgrl

by mgrl

dudemanppl wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:59 pm
I'm sorry you don't understand how the word "or" works. English isn't even my first languange :(
You mean "and" not "or". With "or" in there, it could conceivably be simultaneously true for every single mount it's possible to buy which clearly makes the whole thing meaningless.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

No, thats exactly what I'm saying. No other mount combines all these qualities, unless I'm reading it wrong.

3phase

by 3phase

IMO, it's ugly, serves it's purpose I guess.

This would not be my first choice if I do need one right now.

To each his own, I guess.

CarbonWorks

by CarbonWorks

Simply the best😉
Simon
carbonworks.de

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com