Headset bearing doesn’t fit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

schlafen

by schlafen

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
schlafen wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:36 pm
no biggie if it's Ti they shoukd be able to ream it to size. It would be a big deal for carbon, not for metal.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Ream it? Like with a wooden hammer?
no, with a headtube reaming and facing tool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:35 am
schlafen wrote:
no biggie if it's Ti they shoukd be able to ream it to size. It would be a big deal for carbon, not for metal.
??? What do you think reaming means?
Probably cost more than the frame itself from my experience with titanium shops
Since the frame is not correctly manufactured and it sounds like it's new, any cost involved will be the seller's responsibility. I'm surprised that's not obvious, tbh.

schlafen

by schlafen

Karvalo wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:35 am
schlafen wrote:
??? What do you think reaming means?
Probably cost more than the frame itself from my experience with titanium shops
Since the frame is not correctly manufactured and it sounds like it's new, any cost involved will be the seller's responsibility. I'm surprised that's not obvious, tbh.
the shop should cover the cost as a fitting adjustment which is very common on metal frames, like facing the bb, brake disc mounts or chasing threads, piece of cake for any decent shop.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

schlafen wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:41 am
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
schlafen wrote:

no, with a headtube reaming and facing tool.

I will have to ask around to find the nearest shop with one. Thanks
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

joejack951

by joejack951

40.9mm for a 41mm bearing suggests either that the frame was not manufactured correctly, or that the frame vendor intended for the bearings to press into the frame. Either way, it sounds like your best bet is to take it back to where you bought it and let them sort it out.

schlafen

by schlafen

if it was mine and brand new I would take it back just in case it's been dropped on the headtube and slightly ovalised by the impact.
Titanium has a bad habit of cracking.
If however, returning it is not an option, ream it and cross your fingers.

ms6073

by ms6073

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:39 am
Frame head tube inner diameter apparently about 30.9 and the bearing is 31. My thought is to sand the outer edge of the bearing down til it fits. Any other suggestions?
I strongly suggest you post some images detailing the issue as there is a lot of advice but no real facts around the issue. For example, what are the headset specs and the brand of the frame?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

It came with an integrated headset. If I get custom spacers to fit where the bearings would go could I use an external headset? And none of my bikes come “from a shop”. I’m not sending it back across the world the the eBay seller, aliexpress shop, etc.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

ms6073 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:46 pm
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:39 am
Frame head tube inner diameter apparently about 30.9 and the bearing is 31. My thought is to sand the outer edge of the bearing down til it fits. Any other suggestions?
I strongly suggest you post some images detailing the issue as there is a lot of advice but no real facts around the issue. For example, what are the headset specs and the brand of the frame?
I’ll take more pictures next time I go in to the shop

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:26 am
It came with an integrated headset. If I get custom spacers to fit where the bearings would go could I use an external headset? And none of my bikes come “from a shop”. I’m not sending it back across the world the the eBay seller, aliexpress shop, etc.
Then charge back the credit card, chuck it in the bin and buy something "from a shop" that's made properly by people with accountability.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:38 pm
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Then charge back the credit card, chuck it in the bin and buy something "from a shop" that's made properly by people with accountability.
Even though it would cost more than I paid for the frame, the cost of the frame + getting it fixed a titanium shop would still be cheaper than aero titanium single speed frame from wherever you can actually find one.

mgrl

by mgrl

With something as important as a frame, I'd be very concerned if they got something relatively simple to check wrong as you don't know what other ills are hiding out of sight - this is especially true with a titanium frame, as titanium is a difficult material to work with.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:16 am
Karvalo wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Even though it would cost more than I paid for the frame, the cost of the frame + getting it fixed a titanium shop would still be cheaper than aero titanium single speed frame from wherever you can actually find one.
Who would have thought making something that works comes with a price :roll: Anyway, you had already dismissed that option.

So; you dont want to pay for it to be fixed. You don't want to send it back for the manufacturer to fix it. You don't want to get a frame that isn't junk.

OK. Charge back the credit card, throw this one in the bin, order another one from where you got it and cross your fingers that it might be ok this time and nothing else is wrong.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

The shop on my TT Fuji farpoint conversion appears to have the reaming tool on their wall. I’ll take it to this shop and cross my fingers
Karvalo wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:04 am
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:16 am
Karvalo wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Who would have thought making something that works comes with a price :roll: Anyway, you had already dismissed that option.

So; you dont want to pay for it to be fixed. You don't want to send it back for the manufacturer to fix it. You don't want to get a frame that isn't junk.

OK. Charge back the credit card, throw this one in the bin, order another one from where you got it and cross your fingers that it might be ok this time and nothing else is wrong.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:08 am
The shop on my TT Fuji farpoint conversion appears to have the reaming tool on their wall. I’ll take it to this shop and cross my fingers
Just remember to tell them how much the frame cost so they can charge you more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com