Best/lightest 1x chainring for 5 arm 110BCD crank (Sram Red hidden bolt)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

Hey, so I'm currently rocking a 1x on one of my builds- 2007 Cervelo P3 aero road bike- I'm using a Rival 1 and am going to build up a a 2016 Emonda SL as a 1x w/an RX817 Di2 rear mech- I have a 6800 crank w/some random Amazon 48t narrow-wide chainring on the Cervelo right now that I'll likely use on the Emonda for now. Well, I bought an R8000 crank off my boss b/c I assumed it would be substantially lighter than the R6800- it's not- it's only 7 grams lighter. So, I'm potentially trading it for a new Red hidden bolt crank w/out chainrings. It's 110 BCD with 5 bolts/arms and I'm wondering what the best/lightest used or new (preferably affordable, nothing crazy like THM or CarbonTi prices, I can't afford that, they're budget WW builds). I'm planning to go 2x w/a mix of mechanical Sram Rival/Force/Red so for that I'll likely use the 50/34 6800 chainrings that I have- or the 53/39 if I get stronger. So, I know I can just buy some random chainring off Amazon or Ebay like I did for the 6800- but they're quite heavy and if I can get something light and affordable-ish.

I emailed Extralite asking when their 50/34 would be back in stock b/c I'd definitely consider getting that for the 2x b/c it's so light, but I've read SO many negative reviews- mostly regarding crappy shifting when used with Di2- so if I end up sticking with a mechanical 2x, that might be a good and surprisingly affordable option (unless there are some crazy taxes/fees/shipping charges I'm unaware of). I also asked them if they have any plans to start making 1x rings.

I'm just looking for something light and not crazy expensive- my 48t narrow-wide is somehow a few grams heavier than my Shimano 52t ring.

Open to any and all suggestions- this is an amazing forum and I've been loving it!
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I dunno, but make sure the chainring is the right thickness for the red cranks. 'Cause if it's too thick it won't mount to the hidden arm well, it'll warp/distort (meaning as you pedal the chainring will move/wobble from side to side once per rotation). That might limit what narrow/wide chainrings you can use. I had this issue with mounting aftermarket chainrings to hidden arm record cranks.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

synchronicity wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:01 am
I dunno, but make sure the chainring is the right thickness for the red cranks. 'Cause if it's too thick it won't mount to the hidden arm well, it'll warp/distort (meaning as you pedal the chainring will move/wobble from side to side once per rotation). That might limit what narrow/wide chainrings you can use. I had this issue with mounting aftermarket chainrings to hidden arm record cranks.
Hmmm, thanks- not sure if I'm going to go ahead and do the trade- I got the R8000 cranks essentially brand new for $240 from my boss (work at a bike shop) and I just got a 46t oval narrow-wide ring to try out on it so if I do sell/trade them, the chain rings will still be minty. Saving like 50-ish grams on the crank will definitely be cool but then I'd also need to drop more money on a new bottom bracket for whichever bike I decide to put them on- and if I feel like swapping b/w two bikes, I'll need a a BSA GXP bottom bracket and a BBR60 as well as the BB90 joints for my Emonda. Ugh, I wish all bikes were the same BB standard and that all spindles were 24mm lol. Appreciate your response, though. I might just *f##k* with some Extralite rings when I decide which bike/crank is going be on the 2x rig.

BTW, that second Maderna vaccine is making me feel like death, lol. I called Zipp today to ask them about swapping free-hubs on pre-Firecrest wheels and the lady could barely understand wtf I was saying haha.
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

dlj2119

by dlj2119

I dont have a 48T 110BCD NW ring, but i have several 40-44t, hope these can help a little. I think Garbaruk will most reliably be the lightest option for reasonable cost.

All 110bcd narrow wide:
Sram force round 42T NW 81g
Absolute black round 40t 65.5g
wolf tooth 42t round 78g
garbaruk round 42t 66g
garbaruk oval 42t 68g

Most of these have weight estimates on their websites too.