Lightweight taillight with constant-on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Blinking taillights are illegal here. I need a lightweight 25+ lumen constant-on taillight for daytime visibility (tree-lined roads dangerous in the summer with drivers' eyes not adjusting quickly between sun and shade).

The light must have replacement strap mounts available, because they break and then it's just flushing money down the toilet. I have 3 Bontrager Flare lights with no way to mount them. Otherwise they are terrific.

Bonus if the taillight sits on aero seatposts without getting knocked over to one side after riding over bumps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

If I had 3 Flares that I'm very happy with otherwise, come hell or highwater I would have figured out a way of mounting on my bike, even zip ties.
I have 3 (2F & 1R) without any problem mount.
Less is more.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Spare straps for the Bontrager Flare?
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... Code=black

Cannoli

by Cannoli

WonderSausage wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 pm

The light must have replacement strap mounts available, because they break and then it's just flushing money down the toilet. I have 3 Bontrager Flare lights with no way to mount them. Otherwise they are terrific.
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Bontrage ... ment+strap
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Flare replacement straps are sold out globally as far as I can tell. None on eBay either. I'm in USA where they aren't even listed on Bontrager's web site anymore.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

They seems to be stock in quite a few UK shops, although I appreciate postage may be pretty high for the strap cost....

hmm, Bontrager US site also shows as in stock for me, unless I get a sneaky redirect somewhere different from you?
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

Cannoli

by Cannoli

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:48 pm
They seems to be stock in quite a few UK shops, although I appreciate postage may be pretty high for the strap cost....

hmm, Bontrager US site also shows as in stock for me, unless I get a sneaky redirect somewhere different from you?
I see them in stock as well from the link you provided. $4.99 US
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Cannoli

by Cannoli

WonderSausage wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Flare replacement straps are sold out globally as far as I can tell. None on eBay either. I'm in USA where they aren't even listed on Bontrager's web site anymore.
Is the requirement you listed a state or city law? If so, which one? That's definitely not a law in my state. In fact a flashing light is preferred over a solid light, both front and back.

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:48 pm

Ohhhh, BRACKET instead of STRAP and no mention of Flare except in the product deatils fine print, however could I have missed that :o

Anyhow, thanks.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

No worries, I "knew" it should be there somewhere after piecing together a bunch of mount options myself recently :thumbup:

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I'm a fan of the Garmin Varia. You can set it to constant on and not blink.

I didn't think I would like it. But it is a game changer on how I ride. It is great for quiet narrow roads.

It is pointless if you were riding the champs de elysees during a normal day not shut down for the tour. All it does it beeps non stop because of traffic.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

I've the Flare RT and also Magicshine Seemee 200...

The 1st have ant+ works great with the Karoo2

The 2nd as brake option and have the doubke the power in "lm"...

They are both small and work great.

corkycalvin

by corkycalvin

I'm using the cat eye x2 and it has a solid non blinking selection. The rubber band that secures the light can be replaced with rubber O rings in the hardware plumbing section for 1 US dollar or less. Just bring in the O ring and select the same size.

These are well over 25 lumens. I'm sure it will fit your aero seatpost also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DC41

by DC41

Cannoli wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:01 pm
WonderSausage wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Is the requirement you listed a state or city law? If so, which one? That's definitely not a law in my state. In fact a flashing light is preferred over a solid light, both front and back.
I'm curious also... where is it illegal? Is it a city/county ordinance, or (heaven forbid) a state law? I prefer front/back flashing. Not only is it more noticable, but the battery lasts longer on a charge.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither