Easiest pedals to clip into?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I have a set of Time atac link pedals that have flats on one side and the atac retention on the other (similar to SPDs, so the cleats are walkable, but better). But they don't make them anymore, you should still be able to find them online somewhere though.

I'm a time user, but other than that, Keo easys, not sure where you can get them now though.
Last edited by synchronicity on Wed May 12, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Keywin Carbon. Easier than any other pedal system mentioned.

ff119

by ff119

robbosmans wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 am
How light are you? Shimano makes a light version of their SPD SL’s, their normal mtb SPD’s can also have very little tension.
44kg

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Pretty much all pedals I've ever used can be set with very little tension and make clipping in not too much of a challenge, I'd say go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Given you've never used clipless before I'd recommend Shimano SPD and to do it as cheaply as possible to see if you get on with it. Shimano M520's and some cheap SPD shoes from Decathlon will cost about £60 all in.

Zero7

by Zero7

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:10 pm
Pretty much all pedals I've ever used can be set with very little tension and make clipping in not too much of a challenge, I'd say go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Given you've never used clipless before I'd recommend Shimano SPD and to do it as cheaply as possible to see if you get on with it. Shimano M520's and some cheap SPD shoes from Decathlon will cost about £60 all in.
Agree

jfranci3

by jfranci3

ff119 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 pm
I'm very light and have seen people complain it makes it harder to clip in. I need a new pedal for the new bike and thought I'd finally try clipless (or one with both sides or the ability to use trainers if needed)

Any suggestions? Even the speedplay zero I've seen people struggle with so I'm not sure what to try
Road pedals tend to be harder because the cleats are plastic and have no feeling. MTB pedals are easier to work it. If you living in a heavy urban environment, road pedals are not the way to go. The best road pedals for cleat/pedal feel is speedplay. For MTB there are more options with Shimano SPD being the standard. Speedplay Frogs are the absolute easiest - they are no longer made though.

flying

by flying

I think also some folks do not realize release tension & how much of a difference that can make
to clipping in & getting out

Look Blade style pedals for instance come in 8,12,16 & even 20nm tensions

ff119

by ff119

CampagYOLO wrote:

Not possible, shoes aren't easy at all given my size sadly

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

ff119 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:

Not possible, shoes aren't easy at all given my size sadly
I'm assuming that your feet are very small? If so then a lot of children use the Shimano SPD system for things like cyclocross so you could wear children's shoes.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

ff119 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am
Anyone heard of these? https://www.bythlon.co.uk/
Yes, they're bloody awful, solution looking for a problem. Not even that easy to use considering the market they are aimed at.
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:10 pm
What about these?
https://www.magped.com/?lang=en&gclid=C ... 3UQAvD_BwE
:lol: They're pretty odd too. Heavy and more problematic than using the shimamo multirelease (random release?) cleats. Unless they've revised them massively in the last year (ish).

Just get one of the standard or light action road pedals, time, look or shimano, and minimise the tension as far as possible.

I know plenty of juniors and women who are around your weight (or lighter) using standard road or MTB pedals with low release tension.
Things like shifter effort/size or suspension set up cause far more issues than pedals.

What size foot do you have as well, someone might be able to point you in the direction of something suitable. Smallest i've had to source were 34 or 35 IIRC. Got some shimanos in the end.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224456461587
Again... the absolute easiest clipless pedals on earth. Basically no pressure needed.

Most pedal systems don't require a lot of power to mash the cleat in place. Some require a lot of lateral power to unclip ("tension"). Speed play anything will be the easiest. For road specific pedals, they make a low tension (low release threshold ) cleat https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/pe ... ension-buy

RussellS

by RussellS

Agree with many others for the reasons already given. Shimano SPD mountain bike style pedals and shoes that take the two bolt clip. Cheap pedals. $45 for the cheapest Shimano SPD pedals. (they have almost doubled in price since I last bought them many years ago!!!!) Two bolt SPD shoes are also cheap and plentiful. If shoe size is a concern for you, look at sandals. Love my Shimano sandals. Hopefully you can find small sandals for women or men or kids. And with sandals, they really don't have to be an exact fit. You can wear one or two sizes bigger and be fine with sandals. Kids mountain bike shoes should also work fine if you have small feet. As for ease of clipping in, you can loosen up the Shimano SPD pedals springs so its easy to clip in and out. Of course you have to remember when its easy to clip in, its also easy to clip out. Sometimes that is not wanted. But with two bolt cleats and shoes, they usually have a tread or rubber on the sole, so you can ride/pedal even if you are not clipped in. Then 100 feet down the road you can try to get clipped in again.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Has everyone recommending good old shimano SPD cleats ever tried Time ATAC? Probably not. Yes shimano SPD is ubiquitous, that doesn't mean it's the 'best' system, simply the most common. :noidea: I think (okay I assume) a lot of people who are on SPDs have never even tried anything else.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Time atac together with Egbeaters dig into the soles of your shoes, wouldn’t want that. Shimano spd is still far superior

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com