Easiest pedals to clip into?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ff119

by ff119

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 pm
ff119 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am
Anyone heard of these? https://www.bythlon.co.uk/
Yes, they're bloody awful, solution looking for a problem. Not even that easy to use considering the market they are aimed at.
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:10 pm
What about these?
https://www.magped.com/?lang=en&gclid=C ... 3UQAvD_BwE
:lol: They're pretty odd too. Heavy and more problematic than using the shimamo multirelease (random release?) cleats. Unless they've revised them massively in the last year (ish).

Just get one of the standard or light action road pedals, time, look or shimano, and minimise the tension as far as possible.

I know plenty of juniors and women who are around your weight (or lighter) using standard road or MTB pedals with low release tension.
Things like shifter effort/size or suspension set up cause far more issues than pedals.

What size foot do you have as well, someone might be able to point you in the direction of something suitable. Smallest i've had to source were 34 or 35 IIRC. Got some shimanos in the end.

Shimano do a 35, I'm a 34. The shop is going to try to get a hold of them, Brexit/covid issues and then lack of small sizes. Not a fun time to source bike gear or much else these days

C36

by C36

Not sure how many of the posters did try all the pedals systems listed here (and stay in the biais of recommend what I use)... many pedal systems are « easy » to clip-on but none compare to the Time.

By the unique design, you don’t have to « open the jaws » and the « lock them » by pressure, but the jaw are already « pre-open » and just need to release the jaw.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njleach

by njleach

Eggbeaters

JoO

by JoO

I always recommend shimano spd for people starting on clipless. There there is a version of cleats that are easier to clip out. Great for commuting. Prevents tipping over at traffic lights. (Raise you hand if it did not happen to you) not great for sprinting or bunny hopping.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

One area that gets to be an issue is the clip in for me. I have been riding clipless petals since 1985 and still have the first look petals. This is fun as I ride on my wahoo Kickr bike indoors a lot due to my wife’s health now days.
I have always thought that someone would develop the petal to self level. So that it would be in position to just. Step down into and clip in place. Campagnolo did this with one of their petals but stopped development of it. Wish this would be developed more.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

C36 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:03 am
Not sure how many of the posters did try all the pedals systems listed here (and stay in the biais of recommend what I use)... many pedal systems are « easy » to clip-on but none compare to the Time.

By the unique design, you don’t have to « open the jaws » and the « lock them » by pressure, but the jaw are already « pre-open » and just need to release the jaw.
All my personal bikes have Time pedals, but i've riden just about everything on the market at *some* point. Some only for a few hundred km, some for several seasons.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:52 pm
All my personal bikes have Time pedals, but i've riden just about everything on the market at *some* point. Some only for a few hundred km, some for several seasons.
:beerchug: :lol:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

C36

by C36

ghostinthemachine wrote:
C36 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:03 am

Was not pointing anyone in particular, trying to highlight that while all opinions are respectable, not all have the same value and there is often a biais to recommend based on very narrow sort of equipment tested. Pedals being the typical equipment that people do not expertement a lot.

alanyu

by alanyu

I have used SPD, SPD-SL, Time Iclic 2 and Keo (Xpedo). All set-to the lightest if possible. I'm light 54~58 kg, not bother to try Speedplay/Wahoo
From easy to hard:
Clip-in: Iclic 2 >> SPD > Xpedo Keo > SPD-SL
Clip-out: Iclic 2 > Xpedo Keo > SPD > SPD-SL

Seedster

by Seedster

I have not riden SPD road pedals. Of all the others I have experience with, the easiest to use were Time pedals.

ff119

by ff119

alanyu wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:52 pm
I have used SPD, SPD-SL, Time Iclic 2 and Keo (Xpedo). All set-to the lightest if possible. I'm light 54~58 kg, not bother to try Speedplay/Wahoo
From easy to hard:
Thanks! Good to know you tried all 3 and to clip out (the most important) was time. It seems they don't make them now, is there a new version?

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

ff119 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 pm
alanyu wrote:
From easy to hard:
Thanks! Good to know you tried all 3 and to clip out (the most important) was time. It seems they don't make them now, is there a new version?
Iclic 2 is the same system that the Time XPRO use, which are still being made. You can also still find time xpresso which use the same system essentially, but have quite sharp edges so I would recommend for going XPRO instead, because it's easier to scratch yourself on the xpressos if you somehow miss the entry and slide off (this should not be common though).

I disagree with the recommendations for SPD (not SL). I think it's generally not a good idea to start with MTB system on a road bike, mainly for two reasons. 1. the way you get into MTB pedals (at least SPD and Time Atac, don't know about eggbeaters) is quite different to road pedals, so if you want to move to road pedals later (see point 2) you need to relearn that again anyway, so might as well start with proper road pedals. 2. The connection to the pedal is quite different between road and MTB pedals. With road pedals you generally have a much broader base and more solid connection, which you really notice when riding. Road pedals give you a much more solid feeling of connection to your bike than MTB pedals. IMO that makes a big advantage and feels much better on a road bike. So likely even if you start with SPD you will want to transition to road pedals at a later point anyway. MIght as well start with the real thing, it's not really that difficult. The main thing to remember is to keep the foot that you disengage at the bottom and you come out almost automatically if you lean over. Also don't try to track stand until your comfortable with your your pedals first, learned that the hard (embarrasing) way at a traffic light when first starting off with clipless many years ago.

Thirtywon

by Thirtywon

Grab a pair of Shimano's cheaper MTB pedals (M520) and a pair of their multi-release cleats. Set the tension low and you can basically rip your foot out in any direction except for straight up.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alanyu wrote:
From easy to hard:

Strange. To me SPD-SL is far, far easier to clip into than Look KeO. Not only is it easier to hook the front tab, the rear binding is a much lighter action. If you look at SPD-SL and KeO mechanisms side-by-side, you'll notice the rear binding on the KeO pedal is significantly taller...the cleat has to slide past more material before the binding clicks into place.

But like the first three replies in this thread have indicated, Iclic is by far the easiest clip-in.

RussellS

by RussellS

synchronicity wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:28 am
Has everyone recommending good old shimano SPD cleats ever tried Time ATAC? Probably not. Yes shimano SPD is ubiquitous, that doesn't mean it's the 'best' system, simply the most common. :noidea: I think (okay I assume) a lot of people who are on SPDs have never even tried anything else.
Nope. Never tried Time ATAC pedals or Eggbeaters or I clics or Speedplay Frog or any of the other pedal systems. I did use the original Time road pedals back in the early 1990s. But I don't recommend hunting down and using those pedals. Shimano SPD may not be the GREATEST and BESTEST pedals on earth bar none. No. But they are more than good enough in all aspects to happily use. You will not go wrong with Shimano SPD and will not be able to legitimately complain. Kind of like bike frame materials. I am sure someone will claim one material is the bestest and greatest for something. Maybe. But I have used/own all the main bike frame materials. Aluminum, steel, titanium, carbon. ALL work fine and dandy. You can have a great bike with any and all of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com