shoes for narrow feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

I have narrow feet but on both of my feet there is an extra growth on the back of my metatarsal bone that sticks out wider than the rest of my feet. Any recommendations for a shoe that would fit comfortably? I'd prefer to have something with a carbon outsole. Currently own a pair of fizik R1s and if I ride for more than four hours I can't walk after I take them off.

hlvd

by hlvd

Bontrager are quite narrow, got a few pairs and they suit my feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smokva

by smokva

mrbrown4001 wrote:I have narrow feet but on both of my feet there is an extra growth on the back of my metatarsal bone that sticks out wider than the rest of my feet. Any recommendations for a shoe that would fit comfortably? I'd prefer to have something with a carbon outsole. Currently own a pair of fizik R1s and if I ride for more than four hours I can't walk after I take them off.
Specialized Sub6, but probably their other sworks models also, are narrow but with generous toe box. However they have shty cleat nuts, so I wouldn't recommend them because of that.
Old SIDI shoes were narrow all around, but I tried SIDI Shot and it had toe box too wide for my narrow feet...I guess this could be what might suit you.
Anyway, don't buy without trying first.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Diadora, but I think they're not making cycling shoes anymore. :cry:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

LouisN

by LouisN

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:28 pm
I have narrow feet but on both of my feet there is an extra growth on the back of my metatarsal bone that sticks out wider than the rest of my feet. Any recommendations for a shoe that would fit comfortably? I'd prefer to have something with a carbon outsole. Currently own a pair of fizik R1s and if I ride for more than four hours I can't walk after I take them off.
Assuming it's the 5th (metatarsal bone) ?
I wouldn't say I have narrow feet, more like regular widht feet, but I have the same feet "issue".
I had Bont's, they were a nightmare to fit around those bones.
S-Works 6 were nice for a few years !m
I love my S-Phyre 901 now. A little roomier in the toe box (giving my feet a little break from super tight shoes) , I'm running them with Solestar BLK insoles.
I'd say try them on before buying, as all shoes are made with different construction designs. MOdern shoe designs now are more comfortable and usually don't have multi layer sewn and assembled thick materials creating pressure spots, and pain like it used to be, but still putting your feet in the shoes would be your best bet IMO.

Louis :)

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Lake CX241 would probably be perfect for you. They are advertised as working for both narrow and wide feet. The standard non wide version would probably work for you. They are specifically made so that any part of your foot sticking out will be accomodated because of the mesh material inside.

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/HIMTCg-5EdA
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Raimundo

by Raimundo

LouisN wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 am
mrbrown4001 wrote:
Assuming it's the 5th (metatarsal bone) ?
I wouldn't say I have narrow feet, more like regular widht feet, but I have the same feet "issue".
I had Bont's, they were a nightmare to fit around those bones.
S-Works 6 were nice for a few years !m
I love my S-Phyre 901 now. A little roomier in the toe box (giving my feet a little break from super tight shoes) , I'm running them with Solestar BLK insoles.
I'd say try them on before buying, as all shoes are made with different construction designs. MOdern shoe designs now are more comfortable and usually don't have multi layer sewn and assembled thick materials creating pressure spots, and pain like it used to be, but still putting your feet in the shoes would be your best bet IMO.

I am planning on trying some Solestar insoles, and i just noticed we are using the same shoe model (S-Phyre 901)...

did you have to size up the on the insole size? In other words i use a 47 shoe and according to the Solestar chart i need a 48 Solestar insole. Do you agree with this?

And by the way, how are they catering for your feet confort?

LouisN

by LouisN

Yes, I have size 43 shoes, and bought size 44 solestar, following Solestar sizing chart with Shimano shoes.
Even the store owner wasn't sure about this, so he told me over the phone (online order) he would try his own RC901 with some insoles before confirming it was the correct size.

I have flat feet to start with, but not sagging feet. I struggled when riding with the original Shimano low arches on the insoles, had to ride without any arch (insoles only) to be comfortable when the shoes were brand new (never even put them in my older RC900 ones), but I though I lacked some support. I also felt I needed more "wrap" around the forefoot. The Solestars are thicker than original soles. For me that was great because I found my feet were moving sideways a little too much to my taste with the thin (and flat) Shimano. I like my feet to be "stuck" in place. The "wetsuit grippy rubber" surface material is great to give some grip to my feet also. No slipping whatsoever with any kind of sock material: merino wool, or poly. I surprisingly improved my sprint PB's ( 3'' max up to 20 sec.) despite getting older and slower at 54. Very comfortable my longest ride was with them was 125 km's. I didn't ride in extremely hot weather yet, I suspect the soles will be hot. But I generally don't bother with warm feet, and in north eastern Canada, we get really warm weather only a few days/weeks a year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Thank you very much Louis! you just saved me a whole lotta time and guesswork.

My brain was still in denial about that upsizing... Having to order the biggest insoles Solestar sells made me feel like a FREAk. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some time ago, before i discovered i live better with metatarsal support, i got some custom made SIDAS, but it seems that the Bike Fitter i went to was not very bright when it came to molding insoles, ended up having to go back to the same fitter to get them re-done, and the result was marginally less worse (and this from a Belgian fitter that is endorsed by Steve Hogg, go figure...). So, had to "hack" the SIDAS with aftermarket metatarsal support pads, and it worked like a charm, but then arch support went out the window after this modification, and with it knee confort after high intensity weeks.
Time to try those Solestars afterall...

I much prefer warm feet than cold, i would have to cycle with sky boots three seasons per year if i was in canada, you guys have a beautifull country, but you certainly were not blessed by the weather fairy. :lol: