Any 12s road cassette from apart from SRAM??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

micky wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:07 am
No one mentioned Edco/Recon.
I recently purchased a steel monoblock one for Campagnolo 12s but didn't test yet.
Reviews seems to be good for this specific model.
Micky,
Stolichnaya here. I have been off the radar for ages. Hope all is well. I am interested to hear about your thoughts on the Edco Monoblock paired with a Campy 12 speed drivetrain. I am considering one with SR 12 derailleiurs and chain so any early feedback is welcome.
-Stoli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Mine is still sitting in the original box because Im waiting for a Campy freehub for the LW wheelset.
Reviews on this very forum sounded promising (or at least decent) so Im keen to try as soon as possible.

micky

by micky

@Stoli, quick update; received my brand new DT Swiss freehub but surprise surprise the Edco cassette doesn't fit in; one of the tooth (the smaller one) rubs a lot against the freehub and actually I stopped from pushing it in as it was damaging the freehub.
Out of curiosity I tried it into a Campagnolo freehub and it went in super tightly but smoothly without any damage.

I bought it as a "race day only" cassette but now no idea what to do as I would prefer not to ruin the cassette with an iron file.

cissepauwels

by cissepauwels

micky wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:50 pm
@Stoli, quick update; received my brand new DT Swiss freehub but surprise surprise the Edco cassette doesn't fit in; one of the tooth (the smaller one) rubs a lot against the freehub and actually I stopped from pushing it in as it was damaging the freehub.
Out of curiosity I tried it into a Campagnolo freehub and it went in super tightly but smoothly without any damage.

I bought it as a "race day only" cassette but now no idea what to do as I would prefer not to ruin the cassette with an iron file.
you need to put the little washer between the hub and cassette ( at least for if you want a 11spd edco/recon monoblock on an 11spd hub)

micky

by micky

It's a 12s cassette.

bobones

by bobones

I've just received a Shimano HG compatible 12-speed cassette that I ordered from AliE a fortnight ago. It's a Sunshine brand 11-34T, made of steel, weighing in at a hefty 385g. I have some wheels that I can't get XDR drivers for so I was hoping this could work with my AXS bikes. At £33 including tax and delivery, it is very inexpensive compared to Shimano and SRAM 12-speed cassettes so worth taking a punt on. I would perhaps have purchased an Ultegra R8100 11-34T instead of this, but there is no stock anywhere. I also considered the aluminium offerings from Srace and ZTTO but this steel one was cheaper and potentially a lot more durable.

At first glance, the cassette seems well made and looks good. The weight was exactly as advertised. It fits fine on 3 different 11-speed HG hubs I have tried, but getting the lock ring to catch the threads properly was a little tricky on one of the hubs.

On the bike though, it's not the success I had hoped for. I have tried a couple of wheels on my Force AXS winter bike and, while shifting in the middle of the cassette is acceptable, I can't micro adjust the RD to have the chain sit correctly on both the smallest and largest cogs. If I micro adjust to shift correctly to the 34T cog, then it won't drop down to the 11T. Similarly, if I adjust the RD so that it shifts to the 11T correctly, the chain will slip down off the 34T. I haven't measured anything yet, but this would suggest that the cassette is a little wider than an AXS cassette. I'll play around with the B-screw to see if I can get it to work better, but it may just not be suitable for the AXS system and perhaps it's fine on Shimano and/or Campagnolo 12 speed setups?

DaveS

by DaveS

A long time ago the total width of a sram 12 cassette was posted as being about 0.5mm greater than Campy. I've not read of any measurement for shimano 12.

bobones

by bobones

bobones wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:50 pm
On the bike though, it's not the success I had hoped for. I have tried a couple of wheels on my Force AXS winter bike and, while shifting in the middle of the cassette is acceptable, I can't micro adjust the RD to have the chain sit correctly on both the smallest and largest cogs. If I micro adjust to shift correctly to the 34T cog, then it won't drop down to the 11T. Similarly, if I adjust the RD so that it shifts to the 11T correctly, the chain will slip down off the 34T.
I've just tried this cassette on a different AXS bike and wheel and it works perfectly. I still had to micro adjust the RD inboard by about a dozen clicks, but after that, there were no problems shifting over the entire range of the cassette. This bike has smaller chain rings (46/33 vs 48/35) which makes me wonder if I need a longer chain on the first bike as both chains were originally sized for 48F/33R. Anyway, I don't think there's much wrong with the cassette, and even at 385g, it's only 39g heavier than the illusive Ultegra R8100 11-34, and a whole lot cheaper.

bobones

by bobones

I figured the hanger alignment must be slightly off on the first bike, and sure enough there was enough of a discrepancy to cause this problem but not be noticeable with the SRAM cassette. All good now.

RyanH

by RyanH

I was having a noise issue on the mid 20t cogs and around 13/14T with Campy SR mechanical 12 and the Edco cassette. Yesterday, I threw on the Shimano 12s chain and it eliminated the noise issue. Shifting is now much more campy like.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RCRACE, the guy behind this Ti/AL7075 TCR Adv SL ISP topper and that 3.195kg SSE HM build has decided to start machining his own cassettes

The 12s cassettes will consist of 10 cogs in Titanium or Steel with the 2 largest cogs in AL7075. They'll be sized from 10-30T and 11-30T for road to 10-52T for MTB. The 11-30T 12s cassette in Ti/AL7075 will weigh just 130g. He's also making 11s cassettes, with the lightest 11-27T Ti/AL7075 weighing in at only 105g!

Wassim

by Wassim

bobones wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 am
I figured the hanger alignment must be slightly off on the first bike, and sure enough there was enough of a discrepancy to cause this problem but not be noticeable with the SRAM cassette. All good now.
I'm going 12 speed AXS on both TT and gravel bike.
Thinking of going Force Derailleurs/chainring with Sunrace or similar cassette but not so sure about the chain?

Do you have a Flattop on your setup? How is it holding up?

Thank you

bobones

by bobones

Wassim wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 am
bobones wrote:
Thinking of going Force Derailleurs/chainring with Sunrace or similar cassette but not so sure about the chain?

Thank you
I'm using waxed flattop chains with the Sunshine cassette, and it still works great, no complaints at all. It's a heavy beast though, but great value for money. If you want to go a bit lighter, the SRace ones are a bit more expensive, but still have steel cogs for durability.

I don't think there is any advantage to selecting Force derailleurs over Rival, so just go for the latter and save some cash.If you've already got a suitable crank, you can also just try it with the chain rings you have (my 11-speed rings worked well enough), or add some officially supported 12-speed rings like Praxis Buzz. The SRAM Force cranks are not the prettiest IMO, but I have no problem with how they function.

I've also just bought an Ultegra 11-34 12-speed cassette and it works perfectly well with AXS derailleurs too, either with Shimano 12-speed chain or flattop. Initially, I had some wobble and poor shifting with this cassette on one of my wheels until I fitted a thin spacer to the hub. It shouldn't be necessary, and I don't quite understand what was going on, but it fixed the wobble and shifting is perfect over the entire range of the cassette.

Wassim

by Wassim

bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:05 am
Wassim wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 am
bobones wrote:

Thank you
I'm using waxed flattop chains with the Sunshine cassette, and it still works great, no complaints at all. It's a heavy beast though, but great value for money. If you want to go a bit lighter, the SRace ones are a bit more expensive, but still have steel cogs for durability.

I don't think there is any advantage to selecting Force derailleurs over Rival, so just go for the latter and save some cash.If you've already got a suitable crank, you can also just try it with the chain rings you have (my 11-speed rings worked well enough), or add some officially supported 12-speed rings like Praxis Buzz. The SRAM Force cranks are not the prettiest IMO, but I have no problem with how they function.

I've also just bought an Ultegra 11-34 12-speed cassette and it works perfectly well with AXS derailleurs too, either with Shimano 12-speed chain or flattop. Initially, I had some wobble and poor shifting with this cassette on one of my wheels until I fitted a thin spacer to the hub. It shouldn't be necessary, and I don't quite understand what was going on, but it fixed the wobble and shifting is perfect over the entire range of the cassette.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
I ended up going AXS Rival, crankset included (48x35), flattop chain. I ordered the Sunshine 11-34T and ZTTO 11-28T, the best shifting one ends up on my race wheels the other on the trainer.
I'll report back after getting everything together.
Thanks again, cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

I’ve been using an Ultegra 12 speed 11-30 with XTR 12-speed chain and Force AXS rear and front derailleur and works great.