Caad9 Resurrection

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

calv1n

by calv1n

Hi all,

I’ve just moved house to somewhere with a garage, so can rebuild some old frames that were sitting in the loft Image

Planning on resurrecting my white 52cm caad9;

I already had a Thompson stem and seatpost. I found an Enve fork on eBay, which I need to strip (any ideas on how to clear-coat once sanded?)

I’ve also got some sram red rim callipers coming in.

I want to go 1x so am considering sram force axs, but don’t know whether I need a long cage or something to ensure a good cassette range? Any advice on cassette range and chainring size for mostly flat riding with a few 8% climbs here and there?

Also any thoughts on what 1x crankset would be best / cheapest if I want a powermeter?

I’ll try to track down some 40cm ergonova bars.

Thoughts on semi-aero carbon or alloy wheelset for not too much ££?

Thanks for looking will update as and when bits arrive!

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

RS81 C35 might be OK for wheels. Light and fairly aero, but not very wide
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

Such a lovely frame. Regret selling mine.

As for gear ratios. I always think of 53/39 chainrings, 12-27 cassette as my go to when 2x10 on road bikes was the go.
For 1x, a 52 ring with 11-36 cassette is the same overall range. So maybe that gearing would be good? 52-36 is the same ratio as 39-27.
But if you go AXS you get the 10 tooth. 48-10 is practically the same as 53-11. So go a 48 or 46 ring with 10-36 cassette. You need the 'WIDE' derailleur to work with that cassette.

kppolich

by kppolich

Great bikes, I also regret selling this 56cm a few years back.

calv1n

by calv1n

SixThirteen wrote:RS81 C35 might be OK for wheels. Light and fairly aero, but not very wide
Nice one, thanks 6-13, I’ll have a look

calv1n

by calv1n

grover wrote:Such a lovely frame. Regret selling mine.

As for gear ratios. I always think of 53/39 chainrings, 12-27 cassette as my go to when 2x10 on road bikes was the go.
For 1x, a 52 ring with 11-36 cassette is the same overall range. So maybe that gearing would be good? 52-36 is the same ratio as 39-27.
But if you go AXS you get the 10 tooth. 48-10 is practically the same as 53-11. So go a 48 or 46 ring with 10-36 cassette. You need the 'WIDE' derailleur to work with that cassette.
Very helpful Grover Image Think I’ll go 48t with a 33-10 cassette - seems to cover my current 53-39 x 11-27, and can go for the standard derailleur, which seems easier to get a deal on.

Can anyone advise on 1x crankset (+powermeter) that would work with AXS?
Should I modify a 2x 11 speed crankset (eg ultegra) and stick a 4iiiis on it, or is there a better way?

grover

by grover

The 10-33 cassette is designed for the flattop chain, which means AXS chainring. I don't know of any AXS rings to suit Shimano cranks. Carbon-Ti make AXS rings for 110bcd 5 bolt spider, but they're not cheap rings. Probably just buy the Force1 or Red1 Quarq with SRAM AXS chainring.

calv1n

by calv1n

kppolich wrote:Great bikes, I also regret selling this 56cm a few years back.

Very nice Image

Am I being silly forking out on force AXS / powermeter / carbon wheels on a caad9 frame though? Image

calv1n

by calv1n

grover wrote:The 10-33 cassette is designed for the flattop chain, which means AXS chainring. I don't know of any AXS rings to suit Shimano cranks. Carbon-Ti make AXS rings for 110bcd 5 bolt spider, but they're not cheap rings. Probably just buy the Force1 or Red1 Quarq with SRAM AXS chainring.
Yup, £700+ !!

Milese

by Milese

kppolich wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 am
Great bikes, I also regret selling this 56cm a few years back.

I had the same frame in a 52cm. Was lovely to ride, much nicer than the CAAD12 that replaced it.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

calv1n wrote:

Very nice Image

Am I being silly forking out on force AXS / powermeter / carbon wheels on a caad9 frame though? Image
Nope, not silly. They’re great frames still. Here’s mine, had it 10/11 years now but it’s an 08 frame. Image

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

calv1n

by calv1n

Maximilian wrote:
calv1n wrote:

Very nice Image

Nope, not silly. They’re great frames still. Here’s mine, had it 10/11 years now but it’s an 08 frame. Image

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Wow, that looks great (and has further convinced me that this frame is worth revitalising!)

Especially like the look of that Enve fork - is it the 1.0? Looks like you’ve gone full WW on it?

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Yes, it's a 1.0. I think it was under 300g cut for a 58cm frame. It started with a Cannondale Ultra fork with alu steerer. I got hold of a super rare 2004 Time manufactured Slice SI fork but unfortunately the steerer cracked up top. It was from an era when star nuts were hammered into carbon steerers! I still have it as "art" as it's really nice to look at.

There's a few WW bit in the fork, wheels (ca. 1150g) and seatpost (125g). Build with Chorus 11, Corima Viva S tubulars, New Ultimate seatpost, Fizik Arione CX, syntace F119 stem, 3T ergonova pro bars, Speedplay Zero stainless. Weighs in at 6.9kg. I'll probably put some carbon bars on at some point but I'm not that fussed, it's a simple and reliable build as it is.

cure

by cure

calv1n wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:32 am
Hi all,

I’ve just moved house to somewhere with a garage, so can rebuild some old frames that were sitting in the loft Image

Planning on resurrecting my white 52cm caad9;

I already had a Thompson stem and seatpost. I found an Enve fork on eBay, which I need to strip (any ideas on how to clear-coat once sanded?)

I’ve also got some sram red rim callipers coming in.

I want to go 1x so am considering sram force axs, but don’t know whether I need a long cage or something to ensure a good cassette range? Any advice on cassette range and chainring size for mostly flat riding with a few 8% climbs here and there?

Also any thoughts on what 1x crankset would be best / cheapest if I want a powermeter?

I’ll try to track down some 40cm ergonova bars.

Thoughts on semi-aero carbon or alloy wheelset for not too much ££?

Thanks for looking will update as and when bits arrive!
whats the weight on that frameset?
i love udon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com