Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xsnailx

by xsnailx

Anyone know if this have been finally sorted out ? From what our country distributor says - yes , but real world opinion is more of a value :)
does in only affect zero version ? and what about aero or nano?

GaBa

by GaBa

I'd also like to know the current status, especially regarding speedplay powrlink. Not keen on spending 1k€ on pedales that will eventually develop any sort of issues, mentioned in this thread. Am already looking at Shimano based Assiomas but have time to decide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

xsnailx wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:23 am
Anyone know if this have been finally sorted out ? From what our country distributor says - yes , but real world opinion is more of a value :)
does in only affect zero version ? and what about aero or nano?
I bought speedplay aero's in April and they developed play almost straight away. This was in April of course.

milanv

by milanv

Second, exchanged pair and left pedal has the movement again... :shock:

xsnailx

by xsnailx

Ouch - seems that they still have this problem :(

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm still on hold with their power pedal until it gets sorted out......if it gets sorted out.

ms6073

by ms6073

Don't recall anyone in this thread mentioning them, but I am curious if anyone has observed the lateral play issue with the Wahoo Speedplay Nano pedals ? I was under the impression that unlike the zero and comp pedals, the Nano pedal body is made from carbon fiber.
milanv wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:20 pm
Second, exchanged pair and left pedal has the movement again... :shock:
When my replacement Zero's developed the issue last week, I switched back to the Speedplay Aero's that Wahoo replaced in April which I had previous ridden for a couple hundred kilometers with no issuses but have now develped the slightest bit of lateral play after less than 150 km. In the interim, I considered going back to my Shimano Dura Ace pedals but frankly, whileI used the blue Shimano cleats, I like having my speedplay cleats dialed in to the exact angle with zero float so I purchased a set of legacy NOS Speedplay Aero pedals on Amazon and will ride them for a while. I also have a set of Wahoo Speedplay Zero's that have not been ridden due to issues encountered swapping to aftermarket Ti spindles which required drilling out the pedal body to replace the snapped retaining bolt which I might give a try.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

SystmSix

by SystmSix

I actually have the Nano pedals and have developed about 2mm of play on both pedals. Since using speedplay for since 2011 I can only determine the problem will get worse if the new design is only a stronger loctight behind a non servicable pedal side. Now I have to get my reciept since I am still in the 1st year warranty period...

ms6073

by ms6073

SystmSix wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:31 pm
I can only determine the problem will get worse if the new design is only a stronger loctight behind a non servicable pedal side.
Well that is disappointing to read as I was hoping the carbon pedal bodies would be less succeotable to the issue. From what I can devine from the images of the dissassembled pedal in the quote below, Wahoo eliminated the snapring and spring clips used in the legacy pedal and re-engineered the internals as a simple pressfit assembly which now depends on the istructural ntegrity of the channel inside the pedal body to keep the bearings in place. I have retrofitted my legacy Speedplay Aeros with Ti spindles and bowties, and bowtie bolts which should work well for a couple of years by which time Wahoo might have figured out how to address the issue.
tomazzz wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:47 pm
Some updates with photos :
As i told you before, i managed to pull the bearings out of the pedal body and i will use this 2 wave washers between radial bearing and the aluminum spacer that separates the radial bearing from the needle one.
I also successfully drill out the leftovers of the broken bolt body.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

SystmSix

by SystmSix

Well I just reached out to Colorodo Cyclist since I am a mounth out of warranty and they were the only ones carrying them at the time. I guess Ill see how it goes...

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Is there any other industry where companies would get away with pedalling (pardon the pun) such total and utter shite to customers and get away with it?

Whilst all the while charging them exorbitant prices for the privilege.

There are undoubtedly some excellent products out there, but the amount of broken stuff that manages to get foisted on us unsuspecting consumers is mind blowing.

ms6073

by ms6073

SystmSix wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Well I just reached out to Colorodo Cyclist since I am a mounth out of warranty and they were the only ones carrying them at the time. I guess Ill see how it goes...
I suggest contacting Wahoo Support as I doubt CC can do much at this point.
- Michael

Dat

by Dat

Staff at work must have had maybe 10 pairs between us with a 100% fault rate.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Is there any company as big as Wahoo that would sell junk?

I dont believe any large company would purposely sell junk knowing all/most of their parts are coming back for warranty work. As much as the consumers are upset, I suspect there are heads rolling at Wahoo. Something obviously happened. Could have been the glue company, bearing company, etc. Garmin had a problem with their pedals only to find out what batteries the consumers were purchasing were not up to their standards [so the story goes]. The eventually figured out the problem and came up with a fix [at least I do not have any problems with mine]. I really believe Wahoo with resolve this problem and I am waiting for them to put this to bed. I have money in hand to buy their power pedals.

There are plenty of small companies that would sell you junk. Just look over at AliExpress. Those companies rarely ever keep the same business name for a year. There business model seems to sell the same junk and just change names.

ms6073

by ms6073

Butcher wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:56 pm
I really believe Wahoo will resolve this problem and I am waiting for them to put this to bed. I have money in hand to buy their power pedals.
I am sure they will but that requires Wahoo to first admit there is a problem. I suspect that owners of early models of Kickr Smart trainers can relate to such travails as it took Wahoo a very long time to publiclly admit to any issues.
- Michael

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com