Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

So Wahoo off-shores production to save cost and then needs to make twice as many bc they're junk quality. How very corporate of them. I'm sure someone got a raise for this genius move.

GaBa

by GaBa

Well reading this puts me off to purchase powrlink pedals. Since I want to change to pedal based PM from crank based it look like I will have to change pedals, thinking about Assioma with Shimano pedal body. Since I don't have any knee issues it should be ok. Used speedplays for at least ten years since I liked their looks at first and didin't have any issues getting used to them, they worked perfectly. Too bad ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:56 pm
It appears this problem is certainly not resolved. I purchased a new set of Wahoo Zero Stainless in late May 2022 and after less than 1000 km the left pedal has developed some lateral play - about 1-2 mm. I first noticed it on the weekend, for example my first pedal stroke with my left leg after getting out of the saddle, something just felt "loose" like the cleat was not tight on the shoe (it was tight). I had not been on the WW forum for quite while, but was reading the SP vs Time thread on page 1 and then found my way to this thread. Last night I examined both pedals and discovered the lateral play.

I will reach out to Wahoo directly, not sure how this will go in Canada. Unfortunately I had just ordered another set last week, so now I'm hesitant to even open them. I have been riding SP since 2018 after years and years and years on Time. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but this issue might force me back to Time. It's a bummer, because the new pedal body design is really good and solves many of the orginal SP Zero issues with wear.
Well I wanted to ride this weekend, did not want to faff around swapping cleats to Time XPro, my older Speedplay Zeros all have very worn bodies, so I put on the NIB Wahoo stainless. Rode them Saturday, 112 km completely dry weather. Got home and both pedals have lateral play.

So I'm 2 for 2. Anyone riding these pedals, definitely grab the pedal and pull hard in and out. Do it with the bike on the ground, leaned solidly against a wall, not in a workstand. At least for the stainless, given my experience plus others in this thread, I think some play will be discovered.

tomazzz

by tomazzz

Bigger Gear wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:24 am
Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:56 pm
It appears this problem is certainly not resolved. I purchased a new set of Wahoo Zero Stainless in late May 2022 and after less than 1000 km the left pedal has developed some lateral play - about 1-2 mm. I first noticed it on the weekend, for example my first pedal stroke with my left leg after getting out of the saddle, something just felt "loose" like the cleat was not tight on the shoe (it was tight). I had not been on the WW forum for quite while, but was reading the SP vs Time thread on page 1 and then found my way to this thread. Last night I examined both pedals and discovered the lateral play.

I will reach out to Wahoo directly, not sure how this will go in Canada. Unfortunately I had just ordered another set last week, so now I'm hesitant to even open them. I have been riding SP since 2018 after years and years and years on Time. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but this issue might force me back to Time. It's a bummer, because the new pedal body design is really good and solves many of the orginal SP Zero issues with wear.
Well I wanted to ride this weekend, did not want to faff around swapping cleats to Time XPro, my older Speedplay Zeros all have very worn bodies, so I put on the NIB Wahoo stainless. Rode them Saturday, 112 km completely dry weather. Got home and both pedals have lateral play.

So I'm 2 for 2. Anyone riding these pedals, definitely grab the pedal and pull hard in and out. Do it with the bike on the ground, leaned solidly against a wall, not in a workstand. At least for the stainless, given my experience plus others in this thread, I think some play will be discovered.
HHAAA, that’s reminds me of another thread , also Wahoo product :

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/any ... ssues/5698

Lets just rename this thread to : Anybody have a Wahoo Zero pedals that DOES NOT have any issues? ))))

That’s sounds funny i understand, but im really curious if there are any riders , who doesn’t have any side to side play problems ?
Im on 4th replacement ...and every time the same thing happens 100-150 miles...

tomazzz

by tomazzz

tomazzz wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:58 pm
Hi all !

I'm on my 4th replacement and i'm crazy tired of it ... All sets were not lasting longer than 70-100 miles,
then the play was usually starting on the right pedal , looks like i'm pushing harder with my right leg )
So when the same thing happened with my 3rd pair , i thought to do something myself,
because it looks like Wahoo just can't get rid of this and overall i like the pedals , that is the only problematic case ...

First off all i undid bolts on both axles, no problem in doing it. There is a red (strong) anaerobic glue, so you need to use some force to do it and better heat it a bit .Then I thought to put everything back and tighten the bolt on my right pedal a bit harder to try eliminate the play and I broke the bolt ...
No problem , now the only way to take the broken bolt head was a complete overhaul :) Or drilling a larger hole to take the bolt head out , but this will not help to investigate the play issue as now i unrstand that it is nothing to do with the bolts...
And you know , that was not that hard and no instruments needed .

I just took out the small metal retaining ring that sits under light blue dust cap and pushed hard form the other side (side with bolt head) with hex key using 
my hands only , all the internals slid out . Looks like the cavity where the radial bearing sits is a bit too deep, that is why there is a small play  so i will put a wave washer between this radial bearing and the aluminum spacer that separates the radial bearing from the needle one .
The good thing is that those pedals are serviceable , once the bearings are done we can put in new ones.
I will write back after implementing my fix and testing it on the road .I really hope it will work )

Some updates with photos :
As i told you before, i managed to pull the bearings out of the pedal body and i will use this 2 wave washers between radial bearing and the aluminum spacer that separates the radial bearing from the needle one.
I also successfully drill out the leftovers of the broken bolt body.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Will post back after assembling and testing !

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

tomazzz wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:38 pm

HHAAA, that’s reminds me of another thread , also Wahoo product :

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/any ... ssues/5698

Lets just rename this thread to : Anybody have a Wahoo Zero pedals that DOES NOT have any issues? ))))

That’s sounds funny i understand, but im really curious if there are any riders , who doesn’t have any side to side play problems ?
Look into Keywin pedals. Great design - low maintenance, great durability and none of the issues that plague the SP design.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Add me to the list. :x

Luckily I still have a pair of the original Zeros to use while I sort this out with Wahoo.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

If anyone is having issues with the Wahoo SP pedals and uses 56mm axles, I have a set of the old Speedplay that are unused. PM me.

Sace

by Sace

tomazzz wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:38 pm
For now my second set of zero's are on 2000km witout issues.

However my third set of Comp's developed play after 50km today :( Super annoying that they just keep sending the same cr*p pedals as replacement.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

I have 3 pairs :) great design indeed, and all spare parts available, bearings easy replaceable and very light with ti axle
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:47 pm
Look into Keywin pedals. Great design - low maintenance, great durability and none of the issues that plague the SP design.

Downhill502

by Downhill502

I had such high hopes for the new wahoo version of speedplays but the strange verticle rocking is there with a brand new set right out of the box. The cleats are set correctly and mounted on two different shoes, giro and fizik. Confirmed defect with Wahoo so they will be going back. I went back and forth racking my brain as I thought it must be me, since most basically blame user install error :noidea: . Very dissapointed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aZU1AW43fi6zoMMU8

dialtone

by dialtone

This is really not ideal, my LBS may have misplaced my old speedplay zero that worked perfectly for a million years and now I see this... Definitely considering going for the chinese knockoff of the speedplay, at least they aren't $200, just to try.

scico

by scico

Downhill502 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:05 pm
I had such high hopes for the new wahoo version of speedplays but the strange verticle rocking is there with a brand new set right out of the box. The cleats are set correctly and mounted on two different shoes, giro and fizik. Confirmed defect with Wahoo so they will be going back. I went back and forth racking my brain as I thought it must be me, since most basically blame user install error :noidea: . Very dissapointed
I had that rocking on old Speedplay Zeros but not on new Wahoo pedals.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

scico wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:13 pm
Downhill502 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:05 pm
I had that rocking on old Speedplay Zeros but not on new Wahoo pedals.
That rocking motion might cause me to go back to Shimano pedals I stash in my closet too.

Tried Wahoo Speedplay, got side to side movement on every pair I used and warrantied.

Then I dig up my old non-Wahoo Speedplay one. It works with no side to side movement, but then the lack of side rocking stability of the old design means my feet rocking between flat-level and outside edge down on every pedal stroke. Eventually, I developed a hot spot that swell and keep getting worse at pinky toe side ball of the foot.

With Shimano blue cleats, I just don't have that kind of foot tilt rocking that cause abration swollen spot.

ms6073

by ms6073

Add me to the list - again. Both the left and right warranty replacement pedals that I got back in December have now also developed the lateral play issue for which I have opened a support ticket with Wahoo. For reference, the serial number of the current set is 5021 390621. I have a set of Wahoo Speedplay Aeros I can use until Wahoo gets this sorted, and was seriously thinking about purchasing a set of the original Zero's from Dulight, but looks like they are now sold out of the legacy pedals.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com