Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Sounds like a fair compromise. Instead of waiting until they receive it, they will send it when you send yours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigCol

by BigCol

Well add me to the list. I waited for the extended axle version to come out, which they did very recently. Bought two pairs. First ride today and 20 miles in both pedals have developed play - see video. I assume these are recent manufacture since the 65mm axle version was only released recently!

Very poor show, obviously a major design flaw or quality issue after like a year of production!

https://youtu.be/KtuICtg5vL0

ms6073

by ms6073

While the longer spindles are new, the pedal bodies could be from the batch with the issue. I was told by the service manager at the LBS where I got my Speedplay Aeros warrantied that their rep had indicated there had been a manufacturing defect in which the inner cavity of the pedal body where the bearings press in was ~.3mm oversize and the issue has since been corrected. I find it interesting that Wahoo has not seen fit to publish any kind of service bulletin with a range of serial numbers that could possibly be effected.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Dat

by Dat

That's intresting because our rep has no idea what is causing the issue... my colleague is on his 4th pair now.

Sace

by Sace

I got my set of Speedplay Comp replaced a few months back as I noticede the movement while preparing my road bike for the season. Got a new pair that have now done 700km and they are still ok.

Two months ago I bought a set of Speedplay Comp for my indoor bike. These have already developed the movement after two months indoors :( Will reach out to Wahoo again but it's super inconvenient!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There are reps that are into their job and others that wish they were somewhere else.

It's not that high tech for a pedal body and bearing. It does take time to resolve a problem once it has been detected. Most people do not like to share your failures and I suspect that companies are the same.

Anyone having problems with their power pedals?

Dat

by Dat

Butcher wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:35 pm
There are reps that are into their job and others that wish they were somewhere else.

It's not that high tech for a pedal body and bearing. It does take time to resolve a problem once it has been detected. Most people do not like to share your failures and I suspect that companies are the same.

Anyone having problems with their power pedals?
Our rep is good, super decent lad. Knowledgeable about the product. He said it was the bolt coming loose, we said we retightened then ourself. He then didn't know. We have sold our first set of power pedals a week ago, let's hope the customer don't have any issues.

Sace

by Sace

So after a lot of hassle with first Wahoo's support then the distributor and finally the webshop where I bought the comp pedals I got a replacement set last week (a month later).

They lasted 1 ride on my indoor bike before the right pedal got the dreaded sideways movement.

My zero pedals still works fine so I assume they are a newer batch. But it seems crazy that they keep shipping pedals with known defects.

Dat

by Dat

I needed some new pedals as I moved back to road pedals on my fixed. Picked up a set, fingers crossed.

Dat

by Dat

One ride, better get onto the rep in the morning 😂

tomazzz

by tomazzz

Hi all !

I'm on my 4th replacement and i'm crazy tired of it ... All sets were not lasting longer than 70-100 miles,
then the play was usually starting on the right pedal , looks like i'm pushing harder with my right leg )
So when the same thing happened with my 3rd pair , i thought to do something myself,
because it looks like Wahoo just can't get rid of this and overall i like the pedals , that is the only problematic case ...

First off all i undid bolts on both axles, no problem in doing it. There is a red (strong) anaerobic glue, so you need to use some force to do it and better heat it a bit .Then I thought to put everything back and tighten the bolt on my right pedal a bit harder to try eliminate the play and I broke the bolt ...
No problem , now the only way to take the broken bolt head was a complete overhaul :) Or drilling a larger hole to take the bolt head out , but this will not help to investigate the play issue as now i unrstand that it is nothing to do with the bolts...
And you know , that was not that hard and no instruments needed .

I just took out the small metal retaining ring that sits under light blue dust cap and pushed hard form the other side (side with bolt head) with hex key using 
my hands only , all the internals slid out . Looks like the cavity where the radial bearing sits is a bit too deep, that is why there is a small play  so i will put a wave washer between this radial bearing and the aluminum spacer that separates the radial bearing from the needle one .
The good thing is that those pedals are serviceable , once the bearings are done we can put in new ones.
I will write back after implementing my fix and testing it on the road .I really hope it will work )

Last edited by tomazzz on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms6073

by ms6073

tomazzz wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:58 pm
I just took out the small metal retaining ring that sits under light blue dust cap and pushed hard form the other side (side with bolt head) with hex key using 
my hands only, all the internals slid out.

I don't think it is going to be quite that simple as the bearings should not be able to be removed without a significant amount of force. I got the impression from feedback from the LBS via their Speedplay rep that the lateral play issue is due to a manufacturing defect in which that inside of the pedal body is slightly out of spec and allows the bearings to develop lateral play. Once the bearings are pressed into the pedal body, it should take a hydraulic press to push them back out.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tomazzz

by tomazzz

ms6073 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:17 pm
tomazzz wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:58 pm
my hands only, all the internals slid out.

I don't think it is going to be quite that simple as the bearings should not be able to be removed without a significant amount of force. I got the impression from feedback from the LBS via their Speedplay rep that the lateral play issue is due to a manufacturing defect in which that inside of the pedal body is slightly out of spec and allows the bearings to develop lateral play. Once the bearings are pressed into the pedal body, it should take a hydraulic press to push them back out.
I got some strong hands 💪
And honestly saying I was pushing really hard .
Left pedal was not that easy , so I used hydraulic press in my workshop to push the bearings out .
I also would like to change the bolts to a bit shorter ones and use wave washers as I said , so will see if it will work . I will post back !

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

It appears this problem is certainly not resolved. I purchased a new set of Wahoo Zero Stainless in late May 2022 and after less than 1000 km the left pedal has developed some lateral play - about 1-2 mm. I first noticed it on the weekend, for example my first pedal stroke with my left leg after getting out of the saddle, something just felt "loose" like the cleat was not tight on the shoe (it was tight). I had not been on the WW forum for quite while, but was reading the SP vs Time thread on page 1 and then found my way to this thread. Last night I examined both pedals and discovered the lateral play.

I will reach out to Wahoo directly, not sure how this will go in Canada. Unfortunately I had just ordered another set last week, so now I'm hesitant to even open them. I have been riding SP since 2018 after years and years and years on Time. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but this issue might force me back to Time. It's a bummer, because the new pedal body design is really good and solves many of the orginal SP Zero issues with wear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m3bas

by m3bas

Has this been a problem on the powerlink version?