Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

ok, my pedals just started to developed some play. about 2mm on the DS which I clip out often when coming to stops. and about 1mm on the NDS, which I dont clip out very often.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

All you guys work out the teething issues with these new pedals. Make certain they are all fixed because I plan on buying the power meter versions but only if the problems are resolved.

All you Beta testers keep up the good work.

And some of you think Garmin is messed up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Man, seems like Wahoo ready messed their debut all to hell. Hopefully, these new problems are just from earlier stock, and the more recent versions have the fix. Anyone talk with Wahoo recently? Response? Interesting how this didn't happen when Speedplay ran the show.

milanv

by milanv

Butcher wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:56 am
All you guys work out the teething issues with these new pedals. Make certain they are all fixed because I plan on buying the power meter versions but only if the problems are resolved.

All you Beta testers keep up the good work.

And some of you think Garmin is messed up.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

This did not happen with Speedplay because they never changed the design for a long time. I suspect they had issues when they first came out. Once the product is trouble free, the elected to spend the R&D money on lawyers to sue anyone that thought they could make a part for the pedal.

It's a simple product and I really believe this is just a small problem that will get resolved easily. It will take time to get enough product back to analyse, design a fix, apply the fix, and satisfy the customers that purchased the pedal. It's not that difficult, it's just time consuming. I suspect it could take a 6-12 months to resolve.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I have the new nano and have no play with about 1000 mles on them... My biggest issue is how tight they are and how they never seem to break-in like my old speedplay ti's.....

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Has anyone tried both black (std) and grey (easy) cleats?

milanv

by milanv

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:17 pm
Yes, what do you want to know?

Vjl

by Vjl

I bough 4 sets of the stainless pedals all in the same week.They all developed play after 60 miles on each set.
Wahoo told me stop using them. Sent them serial numbers on each set,they said they will replace.

bilwit

by bilwit

Butcher wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:44 pm
This did not happen with Speedplay because they never changed the design for a long time. I suspect they had issues when they first came out. Once the product is trouble free, the elected to spend the R&D money on lawyers to sue anyone that thought they could make a part for the pedal.

It's a simple product and I really believe this is just a small problem that will get resolved easily. It will take time to get enough product back to analyse, design a fix, apply the fix, and satisfy the customers that purchased the pedal. It's not that difficult, it's just time consuming. I suspect it could take a 6-12 months to resolve.
Problem is that there is no recall and they are not actively looking to replace the issued pedals, which means the products with the problem will always be out in the wild until someone buys them, then takes the time to follow up with Wahoo about it once it develops issues. Even if they release a revision, as a consumer there is no way to guarantee that you aren't buying the defective ones.

Prawn

by Prawn

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:17 pm
Yes - tried both. I really like the the grey cleats becuase they make clipping out much easier. Unlike the old light-action speedplay cleats, the new cleats have propper float adjustment. The only downside to the grey cleats is that they don't come with the additional covers - a problem which can be solved (with $) by taking them from a set of the black cleats.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've worked with large manufacturers in the past. When there is a problem, they need the product back so they can find out what is wrong and why they failed. Once that is found, then they come up with a fix. That fix is first put on the production line. Once the products are stable, then the consumers that purchased them would be handled next. This does not happen overnight. How do you keep a client happy? Give them a new set. If those are just as bad, then you give them another set. You could always give them back their money too.

Since people like to complain more than praise [just check the news] it's understandable that you will have people complain that the product sucks. But if you sold a million and you only have 10 complain, there is no reason to have a recall. There is also no reason to have a recall unless there is a fix. Of course, if people are dying [ie Boeing] then you stop what you are doing until the problem is resolved.

I have no idea how many Speedplay pedals are faulty, but I do believe it's a small amount. I am still waiting for the power pedals.

Vjl

by Vjl

These pedles are realy very simple in design. Bearings on either end captured by screw on the end. Seams to me the play can only be in two placees,in the bearings themselves (un-likely) or in the machining that allowes the bearings to move back and forth. Either way seams like a easy fix.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I haven't tried the new Wahoo pedals but I've consumed countless Speedplay pedals. The problem with the new pedal is likely tolerancing, or an error of the depth of the counter bores for the bearings. What's weird is how simple this assembly is. A designer/engineer will go through a tolerance study, which will be signed off and then a formal drawing will be issued. Hard to imagine this being overlooked because it really is a very small project.

sovereign

by sovereign

Any more news on this issue? I cannot find much mention of any problems elsewhere. Should I stock up on the old version? :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com