Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

The irony is that Speedplay were already premium in the UK and now they're RIDICULOUSLY expensive in the Wahoo guise.

I guess all the 'research' and 'development' they claim to have done has resulted in a worse pedal!!!

Against lots of bad advice from so called experts, I've gone back to Shimano and just spent time setting them up.

Within 2 rides, I'm spinning naturally again and producing more power than I ever did on Speedplay.

I feel like Speedplay 'detached' me from the bike.

I also got sick of the maintenance and wear. Unless you constantly replace C clips and pump grease through the pedal, wear and sloppiness slowly creap into the system.

IMHO Speedplay aren't all they're made out to be and careful set up with Shimano give you a better feel, more power and an improved spinning technique.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

akod wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:05 am
3rd set. 3 bad batches? We'll see how the 4th is - they're on the way.
probably from the same batch :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

akod

by akod

Indeed! Fingers, eyes, and toes crossed... arms and legs too I guess.

welchy

by welchy

akod wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:46 am
Same here. 2 sets of Zero Stainless and lateral play both times. Wahoo support has been fine but the quality is no good. I rebuilt my old Speedplays but the prospect of less maintenance and ditching the grease gun sounded great. It's not looking good though.
Can't believe it, same goes for me. 2nd replacement set arrived, about 200kms use in and the left hand pedal has gone again with lateral play.

Support ticket raised again, usual great Wahoo customer services to sort it out again (even threw in a Tickr), but still, two pairs failed now!! Let's hope the third pair works. If these fails I really will actually kick off.

Back to my old trusty speedplays it is...

tomtom

by tomtom

My two sets also;

- 1 pair of zero, tried to screw it tighter but it snapped. Never ridden :cry:
- 1 pair of comp, left more than right but only a few hundred km ridden. Bought because I had to go on holidays and needed pedals....

Wrote to Wahoo (thursday) but no reaction yet....
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I hope this is just the new product blues and that when they release the power pedals, that it's more refined.

Just looking at the new spindle, it appears there is only one bearing that would keep the side load in check. Since that bearing is small, I suspect it may be overloading. I'm not an engineer and don't pretend to be. I suspect Wahoo put more thought in this side loading and designed/built it appropriately.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Im glad I found two sets of the Speedplay Pave and then swapped out the bigger bowtie from a set of Zero to the Pave. If Wahoo doesnt get this issue sorted out over the next year I will go to another pedal manufacturer.
Im thinking many ppl will likely do the same thing if this drags on for another year.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

theoriginalfit661

by theoriginalfit661

Do the new wahoo speedplay pedals come pre-greased? Or can you service themself yourself like the "older" speedplay pedals?

akod

by akod

Pre-greased and supposedly not use or serviceable. That should be some of the advantage because you don't have to replace the grease at all but there seems to be something else going on now and then

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

I got two pairs of the stainless shortly after they were released. I put one pair on my main bike, and another on my trainer bike. The pair on my main bike have been awesome. I have thousands of miles on them with zero issues. More importantly, if I had put this many miles on the original speedplays I would have started to round off the plastic body and been dealing with lateral slop in the cleat interface. At least for me, the redesign is working really well. However, the pair that went on my bike on the trainer only has a couple hundred miles on them and I've developed significant lateral play along the axle. Hopefully wahoo has figured out what the problem is because I really think the redesign is a better pedal, but it seems hit or miss for the early batches.

tomtom

by tomtom

Got 2 pairs (1 Zero, 1 Comp) from Wahoo today. Great service;
- they shipped the new pedals already when they saw I shipped mine (but did not actually received them)
- it took 1 day from that message to receiving them.
- not only new pedals but a complete set, so "free" cleats as well :-)
- I broke (screw snapped) 1 (Zero) pedal myself trying to get is "play-free" and had no bill (bought second hand) but that was no problem
Now hoping that there is no more play. Does anybody else received new en play-free pedals?
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tomtom

by tomtom

whataboutEee wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:30 pm
I got two pairs of the stainless shortly after they were released. I put one pair on my main bike, and another on my trainer bike. The pair on my main bike have been awesome. I have thousands of miles on them with zero issues. More importantly, if I had put this many miles on the original speedplays I would have started to round off the plastic body and been dealing with lateral slop in the cleat interface. At least for me, the redesign is working really well. However, the pair that went on my bike on the trainer only has a couple hundred miles on them and I've developed significant lateral play along the axle. Hopefully wahoo has figured out what the problem is because I really think the redesign is a better pedal, but it seems hit or miss for the early batches.
Did you test the pedals with force? So pulling them real hard "outside"? I my case it seemed they were find untill I tried it again with more force :shock: !
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I'm getting quite a bit of play between the spring clip and the pedal groove You can feel the pedal change tilt and your foot rock excessively.

akod

by akod

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:09 pm
I'm getting quite a bit of play between the spring clip and the pedal groove You can feel the pedal change tilt and your foot rock excessively.
If you're on older, pre-Wahoo, Zeroes, that's likely the cleat itself or the lollipop base is getting worn out. Either can be easily replaced.

On the new Wahoo Zeroes, the play being disucssed here is that the lollipop moves side to side - and NOT supposed to happen / is a defect. The axle cannot be adjusted like it could with the pre-Wahoo Speedplays unless you're ok with voiding the warranty (and that was the big selling point for the new version of the pedals... less maintenance, fiddling and grease gun use).

jfranci3

by jfranci3

This is cleat bite slop, not the lateral on the new pedals with the "easy" cleat that does with the low cost version

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com