Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sace

by Sace

My third set of comp's developed play after 100km. At this point I'm holding off for a while (don't use the bike in the summer anyway) and see if they have something better to replace with later.

My replaced zero's have now done 2500km without issues. They might be "out of spec" :lol:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:25 pm
I am sure they will but that requires Wahoo to first admit there is a problem. I suspect that owners of early models of Kickr Smart trainers can relate to such travails as it took Wahoo a very long time to publiclly admit to any issues.
People really have a hard time saying they are wrong. Business' will get sued.

I do agree, once you publically or privately admit there is a problem, then you certainly can fix it. If you don't, then there is really nothing to fix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I wonder how many ppl like myself who have been holding off until this company gets a fix for the poor pedals they produce? How can they get it so wrong, its not rocket science? Speedplay had it figured out for the most part as far as spindles and brgings go. I purchased two sets of Speedplay Pave because they are stainless body and might last long enough for Wahoo to correct the issue but its not looking good. Are they in such denial that they think there is no issue or do they not care?
If this issue is not corrected by the time I need another set of pedals it surely wont be a set of Wahoo I purchase next. Guess I should start shopping around now so I need not panic when that time comes.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

GaBa

by GaBa

I am holding off. Still using old speedplays, wanted to get powrlink but will in the end probably get assioma's with shimano base.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Ronan over at CT with a brief WW cameo.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/08/review- ... dal-range/
Just ride ..

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Didn't Shimano have issues with their Dura-Ace cassettes? Something about the cage failing? Did they have a problem. From my understanding Shimano said no, but they did change the design.

I would not trust anyone from the factory. We only have a 1% failure rate. Really? I get this Forum is small but it seems weird that a few people keep having the same problem. Should we blame the consumer?

SystmSix

by SystmSix

Well I just received my replacement Nanos and I figured I would check my Zeros that I bought a month later. Now the zeros have developed the same issue with less then 1,000 miles on them....

Dat

by Dat

Butcher wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:07 pm
Didn't Shimano have issues with their Dura-Ace cassettes? Something about the cage failing? Did they have a problem. From my understanding Shimano said no, but they did change the design.

I would not trust anyone from the factory. We only have a 1% failure rate. Really? I get this Forum is small but it seems weird that a few people keep having the same problem. Should we blame the consumer?
Once again, the staff at our shop have a 100% failure rate over many pairs.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

My Wahoo Zero pedals have a little over 2700 miles. The right pedal started having this knocking sound about 5 rides ago. This is especially apparent on the climbs. After reading Ronan's article in CyclingTips, yup, it has the dreaded lateral movement. The left pedal appears to be OK. Just FYI, the right pedal/cleat is the pair that experiences the most clip/unclip cycle.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Lol. As per Wahoo - 1% failure rate.

glepore

by glepore

This is sad. Wahoo has been a good company for many years; whatever happened here totally sucks for the users and for them. But that said, they need to do the right thing and step up. Yeah, the cost is enormous, but so is the lost of trust in all of their products if they don't step up and admit there is an issue and fix the situation.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I know this forum is somewhat limited in size but we have ten pages just under this heading alone and I think there is another thread here with the same content. Google this issue and many other forums have a thread related to this. So yeah one percent sure seems conservative to me. Seems to me they got greedy by trying to produce a non serviceable pedal which in the end might take them out of the pedal industry altogether.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Butcher wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:07 pm
I think what has really happened here is a miscommunication between the factory in China and the US HQ :mrgreen:

Factory: (In broken english) We have a 99% failure rate
HQ: Wow, only a 1% failure rate for half the manufacturing cost! Sign us up! (hangs up phone)

So glad I still have a couple pairs of original speedplay zero's....cleats on the other hand

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

After reading this awhile back I made the decision to rebuild existing pedals I had. Haven't tried the new ones.

I bought j&l parts on eBay. Most parts worked out fine (spindles and bearings were ok). But the bow ties were too thin and short so didn't use them. I also had to file the bow tie screws even when using the original bow ties since they were too long. I hate the star screw/Phillips head on the cleat base plate screws too, and the J&L ones were too long. Still need to file them.

Overall, consesus seems to be to keep your originals for now, and rebuild if you need to. Buy chromo with cleats, replace spindles is another option.

Wahoo needs to make the new version serviceable with at least a cap that's removable so you can access the spindle screw, in addition to getting their shit together.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glepore wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:40 am
This is sad. Wahoo has been a good company for many years; whatever happened here totally sucks for the users and for them. But that said, they need to do the right thing and step up. Yeah, the cost is enormous, but so is the lost of trust in all of their products if they don't step up and admit there is an issue and fix the situation.

Wahoo has a terrible track record with hardware and a stellar track record with customer service. It's always been like this.

The original ELEMNT Bolt had a terribly underpowered radio/antenna...any time you put another radio (GoPro, fancy lights, etc.) underneath it, the GPS would become utterly inaccurate.
The KICKR18/Core had the woodruff key issue.
So did my KICKRv5 (I went through three myself.)
The KICKR Climb belts fail in dangerous fashion
The new ELEMNT Bolt has a fake USB Type-C PD implementation so it doesn't actually work with most USB Type-C ports/wallwarts/cables.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com