Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:46 pm
Yeah, of course. I just added things that Keywin cannot outshine Speedplay.
Many people tolerate with Speedplay just because of its aero+stack height. Otherwise, they'd just ride Shimano Dura-ace pedal. Which is probably the next best thing: 13.7mm stack height., sleek looking, stable platform, very very durable.

Wait, I'm talking about myself too... I own Dura-ace and Speedplay. Dura-ace feels better and probably is better on everything except aero and stack height. Which is why I'm still on Speedplay right now.
So do you think the marginal gain is worth the sacrifice of unreliability?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Nope.
If it's unreliable day in day out. It'll, at best, be a set up dedicated for race day.

That being said, mypre-Wahoo speedplay pedal still function fine with daily use so far.
I hope Wahoo will fix the lateral play issue before I really have to change to Wahoo pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

matheussiq8 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:50 pm

Yesterday, after around 5000km using these the retaining bolt that is held within the pedal somehow broke from whetever retained it in place and the whole pedal came off the axle!
I suspect there was a missing washer that would prevent the bearing from coming apart. The small ball bearing does not have a lot of lateral support.

ms6073

by ms6073

matheussiq8 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:50 pm
Not sure if there is anything that can be done now.

I think Wahoo will warranty your pedal, although they may want a short video of the lateral play issue :roll:.

The Wahoo redesign replaced the spring clip and cir clips used in the legacy pedals in favor of a press-fit design in which the spindle and bearings are hydraulically pressed into the pedal body, making it dependent on the security of the pressed in assembly to keep things together. Once lateral play develops, this means that the internal bore is compromised and the issue will only get worse with time as you discovered. Realistically this is a far bigger problem for Wahoo as I suspect there are a significant number of riders who have pedals that have developed lateral play and either do not realize it is a problem or opt to ignore it as I have personally had 2 pair warranties and observed two separate riders on the road that had pedals with lateral play for which neither owner even realized was happening.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bockers

by bockers

Just retuned another set of Comps. Play in the LHS pedal this tim. Miles ridden on these less than 70! New set being posted without fuss or charge. However I am now on my 3rd set of Comp and Zeros, all failures with 100 miles of riding and to just one side.
I am hoping that one day I will get a set that hold out as I love the system.

ms6073

by ms6073

bockers wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:53 am
I am hoping that one day I will get a set that hold out as I love the system.
I think we all have that hope.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:24 pm
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:46 pm
Yeah, of course. I just added things that Keywin cannot outshine Speedplay.
Many people tolerate with Speedplay just because of its aero+stack height. Otherwise, they'd just ride Shimano Dura-ace pedal. Which is probably the next best thing: 13.7mm stack height., sleek looking, stable platform, very very durable.

Wait, I'm talking about myself too... I own Dura-ace and Speedplay. Dura-ace feels better and probably is better on everything except aero and stack height. Which is why I'm still on Speedplay right now.
So do you think the marginal gain is worth the sacrifice of unreliability?
At the moment, at least to me, it is not worth it, no. Honestly, there is just too much faff and too many things going wrong with speedplay. Weird thing being that this is just a freakin' pedal and should not be THAT hard to make it right and reliable. I am actually one of those people that likes to tinker with things and I enjoy my bike maintenance. But what I do not enjoy is when you spend time trying to fix a problem, and yet fail completely because the design is just bad. Trying to "fix" speedplay pedals falls into this category of issues.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Haha Wahoo is giving Speedplay a bad name. I guess the wearing of the plastic bodies on Speedplay was less of an issue compared to the problems Wahoo has with the redesign of the spindle/brgings. Such a joke. My Pave still going strong thankfully.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

scico

by scico

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:11 am
Haha Wahoo is giving Speedplay a bad name. I guess the wearing of the plastic bodies on Speedplay was less of an issue compared to the problems Wahoo has with the redesign of the spindle/brgings. Such a joke. My Pave still going strong thankfully.
Anyway the lateral movement is not noticeable while pedalling.
Nevertheless it isn't a good thing.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Wahoo has just replaced my cleats because a little piece of plastic of the baseplate broke off.
Now the rotation of the spring is not limited on one side and its harder to engage the pedal because you have to push the spring into its default position first.
Has this occurred to you before?
Seems a bit wasteful to throw away a whole set of cleats ….
I wonder how much of these warrantied pedals are recycled.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

This is the same as happen to me on my cleats...

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It is weird that what a layman thinks is a simple bearing/manufacturing problem is something that some of the smartest people in the world can't figure out.

I hope someday they get this worked out. I am glad I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for people to say the problem is resolved.

GaBa

by GaBa

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/11/adapt-i ... p-hawkins/

He claims they solved Speedplay issue (end of the article). Is it true, any real world experience?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:38 pm

The Wahoo redesign replaced the spring clip and cir clips used in the legacy pedals in favor of a press-fit design in which the spindle and bearings are hydraulically pressed into the pedal body, making it dependent on the security of the pressed in assembly to keep things together. Once lateral play develops, this means that the internal bore is compromised and the issue will only get worse with time as you discovered. Realistically this is a far bigger problem for Wahoo as I suspect there are a significant number of riders who have pedals that have developed lateral play and either do not realize it is a problem or opt to ignore it as I have personally had 2 pair warranties and observed two separate riders on the road that had pedals with lateral play for which neither owner even realized was happening.
So. Do you think the solutions are all in the pedal body or would the spindle have anything to do with it?
Specifically what I'm curious is, if they fixed the problem on new pair. Would a change of spindle to an aftermarket titanium ruin it?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Looks like I need to put away some money for their power pedals. I knew at some point that the problem would be resolved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com