Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:14 am

Wahoo has a terrible track record with hardware and a stellar track record with customer service. It's always been like this.

The original ELEMNT Bolt had a terribly underpowered radio/antenna...any time you put another radio (GoPro, fancy lights, etc.) underneath it, the GPS would become utterly inaccurate.
The KICKR18/Core had the woodruff key issue.
So did my KICKRv5 (I went through three myself.)
The KICKR Climb belts fail in dangerous fashion
The new ELEMNT Bolt has a fake USB Type-C PD implementation so it doesn't actually work with most USB Type-C ports/wallwarts/cables.
Agreed. But here they seemed to have abandoned the customer service side of the equation which made the rest livable.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I decided to check mine again after reading the Cyclingtips article and sure enough, right pedal is faulty. Mine are around 2 weeks out of warranty, currently discussing it with the place of purchase so fingers crossed...
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

ms6073

by ms6073

woodyvalentine wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:06 am
I bought j&l parts on eBay. Most parts worked out fine (spindles and bearings were ok). But the bow ties were too thin and short so didn't use them. I also had to file the bow tie screws even when using the original bow ties since they were too long.
Thanks for that as I installed some black Ti bow ties and bolts on my wifes legacy Speedplay Zero and she had a dickens of a time clipping in with the new parts. Was thinking I got a bad set when I measured the new Ti bolts and compared them to the original steel bolts and found the Ti bolts to be ~.25 mm to long.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Anyone looking for a stop gap, Competitive Cyclist has some NOS SP Zero Stainless on sale. I just ordered 2 pair this week, as my transition back to Time is going so-so.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/spee ... ble-cleats

Lina

by Lina

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:14 am
glepore wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:40 am
This is sad. Wahoo has been a good company for many years; whatever happened here totally sucks for the users and for them. But that said, they need to do the right thing and step up. Yeah, the cost is enormous, but so is the lost of trust in all of their products if they don't step up and admit there is an issue and fix the situation.

Wahoo has a terrible track record with hardware and a stellar track record with customer service. It's always been like this.

The original ELEMNT Bolt had a terribly underpowered radio/antenna...any time you put another radio (GoPro, fancy lights, etc.) underneath it, the GPS would become utterly inaccurate.
The KICKR18/Core had the woodruff key issue.
So did my KICKRv5 (I went through three myself.)
The KICKR Climb belts fail in dangerous fashion
The new ELEMNT Bolt has a fake USB Type-C PD implementation so it doesn't actually work with most USB Type-C ports/wallwarts/cables.
The original Bolt also didn't work with Favero Assiomas for the longest time. And it was a Wahoo issue since the pedals worked perfectly fine with other head units.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

mogwaiboi wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:50 pm
I decided to check mine again after reading the Cyclingtips article and sure enough, right pedal is faulty. Mine are around 2 weeks out of warranty, currently discussing it with the place of purchase so fingers crossed...
Wahoo are sending me another pair of pedals even though mine were out of warranty. Let's see how the new pair goes!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

SystmSix

by SystmSix

I just recieved mine (Nano and Zero) back from warranty replacement from Wahoo and things are perfect again. Although I felt guilty even asking for replacement since they were still usable just lots play. I have to hand it to Wahoos customer service could not have been better and just for that I will continue to buy their products....

GaBa

by GaBa

Perfect, but for how long? :/ I sure hope they solved whatever the problem was and there will be no more waranty claims. Them I might consider powrlinks since I still haven't made the pirchase of pedal based PM.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

SystmSix wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:48 pm
I just recieved mine (Nano and Zero) back from warranty replacement from Wahoo and things are perfect again. Although I felt guilty even asking for replacement since they were still usable just lots play. I have to hand it to Wahoos customer service could not have been better and just for that I will continue to buy their products....
Why would you ever feel guilty about asking a company to replace a defective product?

ms6073

by ms6073

SystmSix wrote:
Although I felt guilty even asking for replacement since they were still usable just lots play.
Sorry, going to disagree as any amount of lateral play in pedal spindles renders the pedal no longer useable!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

SystmSix

by SystmSix

I was technically a month out of warranty and wasnt sure if that lateral movement would qualify a replacement. Believe me alot of companies would not stand by their products in this manner....

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

SystmSix wrote:
You feel guilty asking for a replacement after they sold you a premium product that was not fit for purpose?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SystmSix wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:30 pm
I was technically a month out of warranty and wasnt sure if that lateral movement would qualify a replacement. Believe me alot of companies would not stand by their products in this manner....

That amount of play is unacceptable and you should not feel guilty for demanding a better product. Wahoo has a history of hardware QC issues. They need to be held accountable. I will not longer accept the back and forth of sending back several Wahoo KICKRs only to get replacements with the same faults or random new ones. A lot of companies stand by their products and make products with far lower failure rates than…um… 100%.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

If indeed the pedals were a month out of warranty, then it's at the mercy of the company to offer 'goodwill' to a client. I feel the client should be grateful for this gesture. If the product is out of warranty, then the company is not responsible for what happens.

Most first generation products seem to have problems no matter what the product is. I'm not certain why people do not think they are going to be perfect. If a company manufactured a perfect product, it would come out 10 years too late and no one would purchase it because it's out dated. There is a balance of when it's good enough to let the masses perform the last OC step. It's sad, but those are the facts.

Sace

by Sace

Still no reports on issues with the PowrLink pedals? My third set of comp pedals developed play after very little use too (although only the right one this time). I'm considering a set of PM pedals and then moving my actually functional zero pedals to the bike with the comp pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com