New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Actually, reminding me about MPA [I haven't used Xert...yet] is a good thing - I suppose it's one of the next-best things to lab testing, so if it gives good results then keep using it. I'd certainly put all these metrics in my nice-to-have category, but I do think they'll be very hard to pin down accurately enough for real-time use; however I might well be wrong in thinking that an empirical estimate (any model using past data) is much worse than lab testing - perhaps there's not really likely to be much difference as most rides aren't in lab conditions!

Back to the Wahoo devices.............I get on very well with my Bolt, and it seems likely that a replacement is going to offer only modest improvements. I like the small size, low weight, decent battery life and boring old reliability of the current one a lot. However, I do have one annoyance - can anyone tell me if they have tooth counts showing on the Gear Number function using Di2? All I can get are the visual indicator or sprocket positions (e.g. 2-6). What I really want is to see 52-15 etc. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

HenryH wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:50 pm
What I like about Wahoo is that if you got an old product from them to don't feel like you got to get the new one when it comes out :lol:

I love my Bolt, but I see really no, or hardly any, value in the updates since then.
+1. Current Bolt works a treat atm, only thing I miss is the full routing that Roam has, but that's too big/bulky.

Echo comments of preferred larger screen/case ratio. Other than that .... nothing

Weaklegs

by Weaklegs

They are shooting them self's, if they are making again such small screen in so big case. I made jump from bolt to roam, because I wanted bigger screen with colours for overal workout view. But in the end I hated shitty buttons in it. It was pain in the ass to press a button with gloves. You literally need nail to press a button in Roam. Page changing in one direction is not funny to, plus you can't have bike profiles. I don't need the same info on my road bike as MTB or trainer. Then diceded to jump to newer garmin, silly screen to body ratio killed wahoo roam for me. Whenever I looked on the Roam, the screen ratio was punching my eyes. Bulky with small screen. Come on wahoo it's 2021, stop with Nokia 3310 era. Told myself that I will use unreliable garmin and wait for bolt 2...after seeing this think I'm gonna stick with shitty garmin another decade🤦‍♂️
Last edited by Weaklegs on Wed May 12, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Why no Karoo Hammerhead then?
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 am
MPA, W', dFRC, etc. don't really seem like useful real-time metrics to me. They'd only serve to psych me out. To me they are numbers to analyze afterward and make note of upward or downward trends.
It would definitely be another thing to manage, but for me it would be great to know. It would help me pace my hill sprints better and manage efforts on rides. I suppose I could just learn to pace but it seems like a missed opportunity. I might switch to Garmin for it anyway

splzd

by splzd

Weaklegs wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:37 am
Told myself that I will use unreable garmin and wait for bolt 2...after seeing this think I'm gonna stick with shitty garmin another decade🤦‍♂️
Did I get you right: You changed from an aesthetical compromise (bad screen-to-body-ratio) to a technical compromise (unreadable screen)? May I ask why?

EDIT: not pointed at you specifically, but my point here is:
In my perspective we're all a bit spoiled from the tech industry (smartphones, tablets and stuff). For years they hammered in our heads that we need to update our devices at least every two years. But often times there's almost nothing new about the new devices, no progress, no developement, no new features. The screens have gotten a little bigger with every generation, the pixels more dense. But apart from that..?! The old ones would work pretty well for a couple of more years (given they don't get slowed down or even broke by software-updates).
I have the original ELEMNT in use. It still works like a charm, I don't miss anything. The only problem I have is the battery, which only lasts for about 3 or 4 hours. If I could have replaced the battery, I would. But wahoo doesn't offer a battery replacement anymore. They offered me 40% discount on a new purchase, so I got a ROAM. It's really nice, the coloured screen is great, I really love the ambient light sensor and the aditional navigation features. That's all nice to have, but I would like have used my old ELEMNT for longer. Long story short: Why 'upgrade', when it's not really an upgrade? Why not stick with the 'old' device, if it's still working fine?

uraqt

by uraqt

So... I am on my garmin 910 and need a new watch case over button has failed and is't a matter of time untill water kills the unit... but everyone and their mother has known for 20 years that as much screen as possible is a good idea... the state of screens in cycling computers is a joke that is why poeple are buying OMATA ...

Garmin is making their screen bigger but at this rate we will be dead by time the get a "real" size : )

C

uraqt

by uraqt

and this is what we should have had year ago.. that is just a ipod mini design from 2004...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/fir ... puter.html

Weaklegs

by Weaklegs

splzd wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:54 pm
Weaklegs wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:37 am
Told myself that I will use unreable garmin and wait for bolt 2...after seeing this think I'm gonna stick with shitty garmin another decade🤦‍♂️
Did I get you right: You changed from an aesthetical compromise (bad screen-to-body-ratio) to a technical compromise (unreadable screen)? May I ask why?

EDIT: not pointed at you specifically, but my point here is:
In my perspective we're all a bit spoiled from the tech industry (smartphones, tablets and stuff). For years they hammered in our heads that we need to update our devices at least every two years. But often times there's almost nothing new about the new devices, no progress, no developement, no new features. The screens have gotten a little bigger with every generation, the pixels more dense. But apart from that..?! The old ones would work pretty well for a couple of more years (given they don't get slowed down or even broke by software-updates).
I have the original ELEMNT in use. It still works like a charm, I don't miss anything. The only problem I have is the battery, which only lasts for about 3 or 4 hours. If I could have replaced the battery, I would. But wahoo doesn't offer a battery replacement anymore. They offered me 40% discount on a new purchase, so I got a ROAM. It's really nice, the coloured screen is great, I really love the ambient light sensor and the aditional navigation features. That's all nice to have, but I would like have used my old ELEMNT for longer. Long story short: Why 'upgrade', when it's not really an upgrade? Why not stick with the 'old' device, if it's still working fine?
We are not spoiled...you can still be in the 90s and drive old civic, have old house etc. It's your choice. Apples to apples.
I don't have problems with screen in garmin. I just wrote its unreliable, not unreadable: sometimes it's freezing, sometimes it want download my training from TP or send my ride to garmin connect. It loses my sensors very often. So it's unreliable. It makes a little hassle here and there, but I choose it over nail buttons or screen that is punching my eyes all the time. I like the consistency of wahoo, never had a problem with syncing or loosing sensors. But The screen to body ratio and buttons in Roam are a no go for me. I em training with plan so I em looking on the screen and using buttons for pausing/intervals etc a lot. Was waiting for Bolt 2...oh well
Last edited by Weaklegs on Wed May 12, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RDY

by RDY

ViperFFM wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:17 pm
Why no Karoo Hammerhead then?
Has a bunch of very nasty, game breaking bugs at the moment, without fixes in sight. Also, like the first one, a lot of Karoo2s are getting absolutely terrible battery life - suggesting, again, that they went with practically the cheapest battery they could find.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I still remember this debacle with Hammerhead.
Attachments
hammerhead-are-you-kidding-me1.png
hammerhead-are-you-kidding-me2.png

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

oh wow didnt know that. sounds almost as terrible as iq2

anyways; I use the current bolt mostly for its size. If the new one is sigificantly bigger it's a pass from me.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 am
MPA, W', dFRC, etc. don't really seem like useful real-time metrics to me. They'd only serve to psych me out. To me they are numbers to analyze afterward and make note of upward or downward trends.
Please explain. :mrgreen:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

splzd wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:54 pm
I hear ya. FWIW, I have not been sucked into upgrading my mobile every 2 years. I was actually still using a HTC One X (which was originally released in 2012) until this year (well okay late last year). :mrgreen: The 'irony' is that the wahoo bolt app forced me to upgrade it because until then I was still on android 4.2. :shock:
I upgraded to a galaxy S8+, still a few years old. Sometimes it pays to be somewhere behind the technology curve! :smartass: I have saved shitloads of dollars on smartphones!! Only to sink it into bikes... :lol:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I actually just upgraded from my S8+.... years of using it as a bike computer (!!!) killed the camera's OIS, and I finally had a big drop last week that cracked the screen. They also just killed updates for it, so you are on your own. I had mine for 3.5 years which I feel is fair. I got an S20 FE and am enjoying it so far.