New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

SL7latin wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:10 pm
Dear all,

I want to know is there anyone using new bolt with Favero Assioma Duo? Wahoo devices have kj calculation problems with Favero, and I want to know if this issue was fixed or not?

Thanks all.
Lol this issue was fixed almost 3 years ago with BOLT WB09-1937 - 3 June, 2018.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

SL7latin

by SL7latin

Thank you Viper,

Because in the review by DC rainmaker, still someone ask about the issue. If the problem was fixed, that's perfect.
ViperFFM wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:28 pm
SL7latin wrote:
Dear all,

I want to know is there anyone using new bolt with Favero Assioma Duo? Wahoo devices have kj calculation problems with Favero, and I want to know if this issue was fixed or not?

Thanks all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomtom

by tomtom

Js2 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:52 pm
Debating if i should:

- Stick to the original bolt (works fine afterall aside from the slow start up)
- New Bolt
- Hammerhead Karoo 2 (less battery life and a lot heavier and bulky)

If anyone has any experience with the Karoo 2 coming from a Bolt please chime in!
Depends on what you are looking for. The Karoo can do even less than the Bolt but has a much higher development rate and much more pleasant customer service. But it's bigger, heavier, less batterylife and more expensive. I have experience with the Bolt, Karoo2 and Garmin 830. The last is (dispide some problems) for me by far the best because it can do so, so much more (ClimbPro, eat/drink signal, bikealarm, choose functions for your Di2 etc etc). But if you don't need/want that than the Bolt is (For now) the best choice but i'm hoping Hammerhead keeps on developing and within a year it could be better than the Bolt.
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I had Lezyne, then the original Wahoo Bolt, then Karoo 1, now Karoo 2. Without shade of doubt, Karoo 2 is the best computer I have ever owned. Mapping is awesome, screen is wonderfully readable, and the amount of customization options is sometimes even overwhelming.

I don't see it as bulky at all, and the new mount is super reliable. With battery save mode on I managed to get almost 20h riding time (navigation on, no sensors). Not sure if it can get better than this.

This all is with the note that I use computer mostly for navigation, as vast majority of my riding is in new (to me) areas. Maybe the perception would be different if I focused more on training with power.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

WattagePeaShooter

by WattagePeaShooter

First 80km ride with the Bolt 2, and happy to report no issues. Mapping was spot on, no power or GPS drop outs, and screen was perfectly readable. Sync with komoot and strava worked fine, and so did the tracking for my significant other. Only in a thick forest I noticed some brief GPS drops (speed dropping a few KMs, then picking back up). Colour coded power worked a treat, as did the lights for power when I was on other pages. Naturally it's early days, but I couldn't be happier with it.
2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3
2017 Bombtrack Hook EXT Steel
2021 Tarmac SL7 Pro

RDY

by RDY

ViperFFM wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:10 am
Hit by direct sunlight

Hit by direct sunlight is best case scenario, not worst case .... it's non-emissive unless you have the backlight turned on (which is useless in daylight). Try it with the sun lower in the sky. It's absolutely awful. No contrast whatsoever. All the reviews tend to show it in direct sunlight or bright direct indoor light too, which leads me to think the review guide requested that photos not be taken of it in lower light or non top-down light sources.

P.S. 3rd update since Thursday received and installed just now. We'll see if it improves much.

sennder

by sennder

ViperFFM wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:55 am
Usally your phone doesnt suppurt ANT+ so Im not sure why it should show in the app.
The phone app is just an interface to look up and connect to sensors on the Elemnt. It uses the Elemnt's radios to connect.

milanv

by milanv

synchronicity wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:52 am
Does anyone know if the new bolt fits the old wahoo bolt aero mounts (like K-edge)?
Not that I'd get one knowing about all the bugs at present.😬
The new Bolt on an older K-Edge mount.
Dan Chabanov
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a3 ... lt-review/
Attachments
dc01033610-1621883462.jpg

TribesMan

by TribesMan

ViperFFM wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:28 pm
SL7latin wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks all.
Nope... the issue that was fixed 3 years ago was normalized power calculation. That one is fine since then.
kJ calculation is still wrong, and Wahoo usually reports 20% lower kJ than same ride uploaded to Strava, trainingpeaks or intervals.icu. Another problem is that since they had linked kcal calculation to kJs... the reported kcals are also wrong (too low).

nikospeed

by nikospeed

RDY wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm
ViperFFM wrote:
Hit by direct sunlight

Hit by direct sunlight is best case scenario, not worst case .... it's non-emissive unless you have the backlight turned on (which is useless in daylight). Try it with the sun lower in the sky. It's absolutely awful. No contrast whatsoever. All the reviews tend to show it in direct sunlight or bright direct indoor light too, which leads me to think the review guide requested that photos not be taken of it in lower light or non top-down light sources.

P.S. 3rd update since Thursday received and installed just now. We'll see if it improves much.
Ehm...don't get your problem with the display...it's perfectly readable I sun and under trees...checked that on a 130km tour...maybe you have polarized glasses? THAT impacts readability. And my ride was with V1 and V2 both mounted to compare. Display is night and day....
Still, altitude is off and v2 GPS sensitivity is crap compared to v1. Hope they can fix that via FW.
Will send them the FIT files tomorrow to compare...

sennder

by sennder

I bought a Bar Fly Race Flipper mount for my Trek Domane SLR to go with the new bolt but the bolt has some fore-aft play when mounted. Anyone has experience with that?

Lina

by Lina

The screen is one of the most legible screens out there. Be it in shadow, night, direct sunlight from straigh up, or sun that's barely above the horizon. I've got the Roam and it's the best screen I've seen on any bike computer when it comes to legibility.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

So far, so great! Battery life, screen quality, responsiveness, buttons. Quite an update over the older version. Especially pushing buttons with gloves is much easier.
Would be awesome if the added to the app, that you can just transfer the pages arrangement of the other Wahoos.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RDY

by RDY

nikospeed wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:06 pm
RDY wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm
ViperFFM wrote:
Hit by direct sunlight

Ehm...don't get your problem with the display...it's perfectly readable I sun and under trees...checked that on a 130km tour...maybe you have polarized glasses? THAT impacts readability. And my ride was with V1 and V2 both mounted to compare. Display is night and day....
Still, altitude is off and v2 GPS sensitivity is crap compared to v1. Hope they can fix that via FW.
Will send them the FIT files tomorrow to compare...
No it isn't. If you've never tried anything else, you might think this.

Also I repeatedly state that both non-polarised and polarised sunglasses make it significantly worse - polarised moreso. This is typical of both this screen tech, and - worse - very strongly matte-finish anti-reflective coating.

The designers' intent seems to be that the user won't wear sunglasses of any kind, and particularly not polarised ones. Which is moronic. But then the matte anti-reflective coatings of this ilk tend to be a lot cheaper, which is the likely be explanation ....
Lina wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:12 am
The screen is one of the most legible screens out there. Be it in shadow, night, direct sunlight from straigh up, or sun that's barely above the horizon. I've got the Roam and it's the best screen I've seen on any bike computer when it comes to legibility.
That's just straight up false. It's far worse in all conditions, lighting, and viewing angles than the Garmin 830 or Bryton 750.

I don't recall the Roam being this bad, but maybe it was and I wasn't paying attention. You appear to be implying you have the Roam and haven't used the Bolt V2 though, so how you can firstly claim that it's one of the most legible screens out there, I don't know.
Last edited by RDY on Mon May 31, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

RDY wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:41 am
No it isn't. If you've never tried anything else, you might think this.

Also I repeatedly state that both non-polarised and polarised sunglasses make it significantly worse - polarised moreso. This is typical of both this screen tech, and - worse - very strongly matte-finish anti-reflective coating.

The designers' intent seems to be that the user won't wear sunglasses of any kind, and particularly not polarised ones. Which is moronic. But then the matte anti-reflective coatings of this ilk tend to be a lot cheaper, which is the likely be explanation ....
You're literally the only one complaining about the screen. Maybe it's just you and not the screen.