New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I can’t see the leds under direct sunlight on my bolt

splzd

by splzd

Haven't had any problems with this with the Roam. In the early days of the first ELEMNT wahoo experimented with LED brightnes in the firmware, if I remember that correctly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upacs

by upacs

splzd wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm
In my opinion they're not pointless at all. They're readable regardless of the conditions. Because they're bright, the screen doesn't have to be illuminated all the time, which saves power. I use them a lot and am quite happy with the way they're implemented.
Genuine question. What do you use the LEDs for? I keep hearing things about power zones and such, but I much rather see values on the screen for all that

dftjunkie

by dftjunkie

leaked wrote:- $300 USD price point
- Flat style colored screen similar to roam
- More vibrant colors and more color usage in UI.

Image removed 19.5. by nmx, please don't post leaked pictures any more directly to WW, we are full of work and are tired of processing removal requests. If you still want to do please only post a link or whatever.
Any idea about the size of the device compared to the existing Bolt? I liked the fact that it was really small and compact. Also the $300 price point is a disappointment compared to the $230 on the current model. Not sure if just the addition of color screens alone can justify it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

dftjunkie wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm
leaked wrote:- $300 USD price point
- Flat style colored screen similar to roam
- More vibrant colors and more color usage in UI.

Any idea about the size of the device compared to the existing Bolt? I liked the fact that it was really small and compact. Also the $300 price point is a disappointment compared to the $230 on the current model. Not sure if just the addition of color screens alone can justify it

Agreed, $300 seems too expensive for just a color screen vs the original Bolt if there aren't any other major improvements (navigation, pixel density, processor, etc). I had been using a Karoo 2 ($400) and that seemed too expensive despite being a signficantly more advanced device than the Bolt.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

tjvirden

by tjvirden

upacs wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm
splzd wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm
In my opinion they're not pointless at all. They're readable regardless of the conditions. Because they're bright, the screen doesn't have to be illuminated all the time, which saves power. I use them a lot and am quite happy with the way they're implemented.
Genuine question. What do you use the LEDs for? I keep hearing things about power zones and such, but I much rather see values on the screen for all that
I mainly use them for turn-by-turn directions; not all the time, but sometimes they're extremely useful.

lumpenerna

by lumpenerna

USB C?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

lumpenerna wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:23 pm
USB C?
Please!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

lumpenerna

by lumpenerna

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm
lumpenerna wrote:
USB C?
Please!
oh yes! i won't buy a bike computer with micro USB. Hammerhead is to my knowledge the only one with usb c until now.
And a device in the size of a bolt or 530 would be great!

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

lumpenerna wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:45 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm
lumpenerna wrote:
USB C?
Please!
oh yes! i won't buy a bike computer with micro USB. Hammerhead is to my knowledge the only one with usb c until now.
And a device in the size of a bolt or 530 would be great!
If anyone from Wahoo is reading/listening, please... USB-C should be the only choice at this point.
That and just faster processing. I really don't have much to complain about my current bolt other than start up/shut down, and loading maps/navigation.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:If anyone from Wahoo is reading/listening, please... USB-C should be the only choice at this point.
That and just faster processing. I really don't have much to complain about my current bolt other than start up/shut down, and loading maps/navigation.
Even if the are listening, it’s too late. Pretty sure they are already in transit.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If Wahoo is in its usual mode of cutting corners/costs, USB-C would be the first thing I'd axe. It's physically a superior connector but it really offers nothing material beyond that. I only use the cable to charge the device and something like an Edge will be limited in terms of amps it can draw during charging.

lumpenerna

by lumpenerna

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:17 pm
If Wahoo is in its usual mode of cutting corners/costs, USB-C would be the first thing I'd axe. It's physically a superior connector but it really offers nothing material beyond that. I only use the cable to charge the device and something like an Edge will be limited in terms of amps it can draw during charging.
We're in 2021. Someday even wahoo should go with USB C. And price Tag of 300$ is not little.

The flat buttons would even be a step back in my point of View.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:17 pm
If Wahoo is in its usual mode of cutting corners/costs, USB-C would be the first thing I'd axe.
But why would you axe it at all? I mean, to what benefit?

It would add pennies at most to the BOM cost, and USB-C connectors are unlikely to be EOL'd by Wahoo's vendor anytime soon. Re-sourcing another micro-USB connector in two years would be an unnecessary PITA, so anyone axing USB-C today is being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I agree with your assessment of the technical utility of USB-C for a bike computer, but consumers (including me) want it just so they don't have to pfutz with adapters any more than they already do. USB-C is a selling point not in technical terms but in terms of convenience.

So why would you axe it?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

youngs_modulus wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:44 pm

So why would you axe it?

Like you said, it's absolutely the pennies...for the port, for the cable... Also the cost of micro-USB is going down still today, and will continue to do so for the lifespan of any Wahoo product being released in 2021.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com